The Death Of A Burst: New Refinish Day

Carbohydrates

How is the intonation?
I’m guessing ‘good enough’, but it would be great if you could elaborate.
Since the stoptail is round and doesn’t sharply break away from the string, does this effect the sustain?
I’ve always wondered about the comparisons, but had no one to ask.
Intonation is pretty damn good with the wraparound. 5 out of 6 strings are about dead on, with the fifth (A) string being just a touch "long". I'm fine with it.

The bridge is rounded overall, but it does have a fairly sharp ridge where the string breaks. There is no buzzing or sitar sound as a result. I have noticed no difference, positive or negative, in sustain, but that's honestly not a factor I've ever cared about since it's so easily manipulated anyway. I may not be the best one to ask about that.

Maybe I will sound as a heretic, but maybe using a PRS wraparound bridge in your guitar could improve even more the intonation?

Cheers,
N.F.
A non-adjustable bridge is either intonated well or it's not. A PRS bridge would only help if there was something wrong or inaccurate with my current one. A PRS bridge would be an upgrade over a standard non-compensated wraparound, in terms of intonation, but should not necessarily offer intonation benefits over the one I have. I would argue that it would probably be worse, given that mine was specifically designed for guitars with my scale length and bridge placement. Another consideration is that the PRS bridge is intended for guitars with post-60s-style non-slanted bridge studs, and probably would not play well on a guitar with angled studs. And if it did, it would look super weird.

VintageKnob

Silver Supporting Member
I think it's cool that you've had the guitar for so long and now you've customized it to your liking. Now it's "your" guitar, not just another R8. My parents bought me a Les Paul Recording in 1972 for Christmas. I was 12, I didn't know about the low impedance pickups. I just loved all of the knobs and switches. By the time I was 16 I was ready to get to some "real" humbuckers. So I took it to Kamamoto Strings in Oakland, CA and had him route it for humbuckers and make it default high impedance. It was a serious rocker. Like an idiot I sold it sometime in the mid 80's, things are kind of foggy from back then. I wish I still had it. My point is, it was now "my" guitar. One of a kind. From 12 to 25 I was a one electric guitar guy.

From 1978: (yea that's a tie-dye covered twin in the back)
72_les_paul.jpeg

Also, nice format to your post. I enjoyed it.
Have fun!!!

- D

Papanate

And finally, the whole gang:

hfKSW63.jpg

While I don't like Sunburst finishes on Les Pauls either I would have never picked that Greenish color in a million years - but Dang - does that look drop dead gorgeous. Next to the Telecaster - which is my favorite look for a Telecaster - the guitar definitely shines.

ArchtopAnimal

Always interesting to see what fellow players like in their guitars .
The Burst had really faded a lot on the back ! Did it get so much sunlight from
being on a stand during gigs or by a window at home ?

Don't worry, I fully expect this to be a polarizing choice. I was originally going to title the thread "the one that gets me run out of TGP." I'm not here to shock sensibilities and I like that people dig this look, but this one wasn't done for anybody but me! Please feel free to dislike it as much as you wish.

That guy is high! I don’t understand why someone would take the time to post not liking the old finish OR the new but some people are just miserable bitches I suppose. It’s an amazing transformation and completely unique! The wrap around bridge is my favorite! Well done!

Carbohydrates

The Burst had really faded a lot on the back ! Did it get so much sunlight from
being on a stand during gigs or by a window at home ?
Both. That guitar has been to almost every show I've played, and it never really spent time in a case.

Love it!
I refinished one of mine in a Fiesta Red.
The classic GM Fender colours go well on LP's IMO.

23930816795_f36e682825_b.jpg

I refinished a JM in a custom green, sort of similar to yours as well.
Love that green.

28258370150_a558313c9d_b.jpg
Wow, utterly stunning, both. I actually can't decide which I like more! Is that your own work?

vibrolux56

Nice work, I did a recarve, refin, and a wrap bridge on an ebony board/trapaziod marker LP Studio years ago, it's been my #1 ever since. I scraped the maple edge to look like binding and intended the top to be Oxblood but two too many shading coats and it reads black unless you take it out in the sun.

coffeecupman

I love that you did something out of bounds with the finish.

That's not me saying I don't like the color either - I do! But I'm even more impressed that you found something unique.

The thing that most excites me about the color you chose is that I think it's going to look AMAZING once it gets some road wear on it. I think this is a finish that will REALLY come into it's own with some dings and play wear!

In your research, did you ever find out anything about what chemical or paint type resulted in the greening of Sonic Blue Fenders from those years? Because I'd LOVE to order a Sonic Blue custom guitar that I knew would end up greening like that in 20 years... Any info you have would be great.

coffeecupman

...this thread motivated me to look this up for myself. Apparently it's the yellowing of the nitro clear coat that sums with the sonic blue to make green. Cool.

I saved your pic of the strat to show a builder eventually when I'm ready for my custom strat. I don't buy relics, but I want a new guitar that will do that over the long term, authentically.

Thanks for starting me down this thought process, as well as congratulations on your great unique finish!

Promise us to take another picture in 10 years when this guitar has some wear on it! I definitely want to see that.

Pantalooj

I must admit, I was scratching my head ... until I saw the family shot ... then it made total sense.

If it was mine I would just top it off with aged chrome Tele style knobs

Calebz

One less burst in the world. OP - You have performed a public service. And you did it with style. The new finish is nice!

GiorgioV

When you think about it, with a stop+TOM combo, you're adding an additional point of contact for the strings. If you like that feeling of a guitar vibrating and humming in your hands when you strum it, what you're looking for is the most efficient transfer of vibrational energy from the strings to the body. Adding an additional point of contact does not assist that. This is why Ted McCarty insisted on a wraparound for hardtail PRS guitars. Take that for what it's worth.

Plus, the "signal path" of a TOM bridge is a bit more complicated anyway: string -> saddle -> saddle screw -> bridge -> thumbwheels -> posts -> body (if a Nashville bridge, add "zinc bushings" as well). Compare that to a wraparound: string -> bridge -> studs -> bushings -> body. On mine, the bridge is aluminum, the studs and bushings are steel, and the studs are locking as well, to even further solidify that connection. So there is a difference, I feel, the benefit of which is admittedly arguable - but I appreciate it.

I love the wrap bridge just as much as you (half my guitars have it) but I wouldn't say it's "better" than a TOM setup. It certainly is different, but "better" tone is the sum of many parts that need to be in balance, so the fact that one part is "stronger" can be beneficial, but also the opposite.

If we're talking about a guitar vibrating in your hands, the number 1 factor IME is the neck. How stiff it is, how is the relief. Everything else comes much much later.

HERSCHEL

Silver Supporting Member
I like unique colors, and I have to admit, I would not have thought of your approach. I tip my hat to you, sir. Well done!

Yamaha 1421

Hey it is your guitar and your favorite so why not make it just the way you want it,I applaud you for doing that despite it being "OUT SIDE THE BOX".I like it even though I'm way more of a traditional finish guy and I think it turned out really well. Just hearing you talk about the guitar your very pleased with how it turned out and love it.............in the end isn't that all that really matters?

Top Bottom