The definitive Anderson Atom thread!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by troykennedy, Dec 18, 2009.

1. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

For all you Atom owners!

Tips, tones and tricks! Pickup and setup tips! Pics! Likes and dislikes!
    All things Atom!

Ready....go!

I'll start. I just got a beautiful tiger eye 3 pickup Atom that I am trying to figure out- tones, applications etc...love it!

Let's talk about your experience with Atom and any changes you may have done for your context!

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

3. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

I'll work on getting some pics up when I get a chance.

4. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

Anyone with an opinion on their favorite pickups in this guitar?

5. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

Played my new Atom in the services at my church this weekend. Really fun. Very different form what I have been playing. Clean sounds are really nice. I like the way the bridge pickup pushes the clean channel of my PT50. Full and clear with some nice grind. Well defines on the dirty channel. I will let yoiu know how it sits in the mix tomorrow when I review the video.

Man, these pickups are dead silent, even with a ton of gain.

6. aquadog

aquadog Member

how did post #4 come up at 5:37pm, and #5 at 5:28pm?

7. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

2 different days

8. aquadog

aquadog Member

9. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

10. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

I have been a strat guy for a long time. But the Atom has me re-thinking some things. If I want real vintage strat, I have my Suhr. But most of the time I actually want a little fatter version of those sounds. And that is what the Atom delivers. I really like the M1 pickups. Very cool. Interestingly you can play that neck pickup with quite a bit of gain and it still stays defined without being brittle when clean. That is quite a trick.

11. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

OK, I used my Atom for a bunch of services for the last couple of days. I also did some soundchecks and one of the services with other guitars of mine. One is a really nice 2 bucker guitar with coil splits and a floyd. Another is a really nice super strat with the right splits, vintage single coil sounds and a paf type in the bridge.

These are really nice guitars that I have been very happy with and intend to keep for different purposes.

My Atom is the 2 M1 and H2 combination plus the kickback. We did songs where I had full blown humbucker into marshall. Bridge/middle quack into pushed Fender. Clean strummy neck pickup. And a variety of other sounds.

Interestingly, it made the split coil combo's on my other guitars sound a bit thin and small. The bridge/middle quack was really nice and big sounding. Neck pickup sounds full without being dull on clean stuff. Bridge has a great grind without being too metal. Sit's in the mix very nicely. Also, the bridge was really nice when doing a pushed fender/strummy Tom Petty type thing.

I didn't end up using the kickback too much. Although last week I used it quite a bit.

This is a very flexible guitar that sounds big and 3 dimensional on all settings. Plays great. Looks very cool as well. My only struggle is with the tuning. I though it would be a little more stable in it's tuning. It probably needs some adjusting as I bought it used. That aside, I am really happy with what this guitar does. It makes you rethink things. It's a modern guitar with it's own thing that will cover the more classic sounds without cloning them. In many ways, it does them better.

Very, very, cool!

12. B Vance

B Vance Member

Been itching for an Atom since I first played one a few years ago. Had a lot of stuff going for it. Comfortable as all get-out.

Question for you guys that are owners... I know the pickups are unique to Anderson, but can standard humbucker pickups fit into the routings if you wanted to switch out the pickups?

13. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

I have heard of guys who have dropped other pickups in theirs. Not sure of that requires any mods to do it though.

14. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

15. gregit

gregit Member

yes...you need one.

16. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

'Thinking you need a gibby .. :)