The Definitive LP List

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sid, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Sid

Sid Member

I want to buy my first Les Paul....I currently have an edwards which I was happy with until I played on a Les Paul Supreme....sigh..now I have to have a Gibby Les Paul

I was doing some searching and couldnt really find a list of "best" Gibsons and the more affordable LPs, so anyone wanna help me assemble a list?

"The Definitive Gibson Les Paul List"

The Elite Les Pauls right at the top

The commoners(and more affordable Gibsons) at the bottom

cheers

2. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Personally, I prefer the Historic R9's.

3. littledreamer

littledreamer Member

You got it right the first time with the Edwards.

4. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

My recommendation would be to go for one of the Historic plain top or gold top models. These can vary from an R4, R6, R7, R8 or R0. Of course there are also R9's but you'll pay a hefty premium for the flame top. If you want the ultimate Les Paul reissue an R9 would probably be it for most. As for the more affordable Historics, generally this is what you'll find with the various models.

R4 = mostly gold tops, P-90's, wraptail piece, fat neck

R6 = mostly gold tops, P-90's, tune o matic, fat neck

R7 = mostly gold tops, humbuckers, tune o matic, fat neck

R8 = plain top bursts, humbuckers, tune o matic, fat neck

R0 = plain top bursts, humbuckers, tune o matic, slimmer neck

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  5. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

Actually, based on the TS original post it appears he didn't. That being said, the best values IMO are the 58 and 57 Historic Reissues. The 59 Reissues are super sweet, but you will pay a premium for the figured top. I ended up with a 68 Custom VOS in black because I have always had a thing for Customs. Its a great guitar, but a bit heavy compared to the 57s, 58s, and 59s.

6. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

Hey Rocco ! I didn t know you were into guitars as well ! :D

R7 is always been the best value to me if you want a humbucker Les paul with a 50's neck. There s a few of em floating around in the emporium, some really cool lightweight ones. If you like the gold top vibe, they rock.

If you can score an early les paul classic, thinner 60's neck, they are usually great instruments as well. I dig the all gold finish early ones. Throw the pups away unless you re keen on high gain more modern sound.

7. Heritage 80

Heritage 80 Member

Why, the Heritage 80's of course! Affordable, great tone, play great, and built really well.

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I'm a fan of chambered Pauls .. so Elegant or Class 5 comes to my mind.
    Or GMP and J Nunis if you want to go with a superb 'clone'
    Besides that I like the R9

9. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Spent the last few months looking and researching les pauls. I am no expert, but here is my thought process. In my mind... you need to decide if a cool guitar is important to you, if you mostly want to play it - or you need/want both.

Currently, I own a studio (it is a very different LP IMO) and a special (P90), but would love to own a more classic LP. I have owned a gold top, and while it does not hold visual appeal to me, if it played really well then great.

I am willing to invest in the custom shop models... I think that added attention to detail in the build and the better wood selection is probably worth it.

The flame tops are awesome especially if mostly you want to hang it on the wall and admire it... or, if you just have a couple of grand laying around to through in. I don't need a small neck, and my understanding is that the heavier necks garner more resonance and sustain. The R8's look pretty good to me.

10. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Go historic and you won't look back...

I prefer the pre VOS gutars myself...I have a 05 R8 that is an amazing guitar, I dropped in a set of Antiquities and it got even better!

If a Historic is out of your price range then get your money up and go to a large Gibson dealer and play EVERY Standard they will let you play, pick the best sounding one and roll with it...

FWIW, I wouldn't even bother to plug them in...find the one that sounds it's best unplugged, has the best feeling neck to you and get it, if you're un happy with the pickups once you get it its an easy fix, if you buy a piece of dead wood no pickups in the world will make it into a good sounding guitar

11. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Correction. The 1960 plaintop is a G0, only available through Guitar Center (assuming we're talking new).
    The R0 is a flame top.

R7 goldtop would be my choice, if you like the neck. Ultimately, play Les Paul you can find. One of them will grab you.

12. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

I'm in the minority.....Juniors and Specials for me please......

13. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

My #1 is this R9 loaded with WB 6707 VTPH:

[​IMG]

14. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

There are R0 plaintop Historics as well as the G0.
    So,not all R0's are flame tops.Most are however.
    I've got an '06 R0 plaintop Darkburst and also a '07 R0 plaintop in Iced Tea.
    I had the Iced Tea refinished as a Gold top.

[​IMG]

Here is the Iced Tea finish R0 before the refin.

[​IMG]

15. DetSlicker

DetSlicker Member

As far as value GC recently dropped the price on the cherry & desert burst standards to $1999. Add the 15% off coupon that came with the ad and that's pretty sweet, but the coupon had to be used in June.

16. arfalax

arfalax Member

I believe the R8's and R7's are the best value for tone and playability when they can be had for $1900 to $2200 here on the Emporium, especially the ones that already have some great pickups already swapped in.

17. Sid

Sid Member

where does the les paul supreme stand?

Is there no definitive THIS is better than THIS??

18. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Supreme is a cool variant as far as anatomy of a LP,
    But,
    It's not the model I would think of first when I think LP.

As far as what's "better" in general...

No real winner because it comes down to preference.
    But,
    I feel the best stuff available is Gibson's Custom Shop Historic stuff.

19. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

Well, the Supreme has it's own style chambering, so that will make it sound different than a "standard" Les Paul. It has a maple top and back with a piece of chambered mahogany in between. It also has an ebony board, which is more along the lines of a custom than a standard. I think, in general when people think of a Les Paul they think mahogany back, maple top, rosewood board.

20. Sid

Sid Member

ah ok...i really liked the feel of the supreme....very different...doesnt have the nasalness of my edwards either...