The Deluxe Reverb is an amazing amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eoengineer, Nov 24, 2019.

1. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

Today was my first rehearsal with the ‘79 Deluxe Reverb I recently bought as a means to downsize from my 100w Superlead & cab rig. These are seriously incredible amps.

I ended up with the volume around 4 to be heard in our 2 guitar band with an aggressive drummer, but was treated with some subtle sag and hair that was very reactive to my AVRI 52 teles pickups.

I had some initial concerns about cutting through the mix moving to a more scooped tonestack, but my Barber Burn unit cut through just fine and I couldn’t help but feel like the amp was tailor made for this playing environment.

Any recent Deluxe Reverb converts?

[​IMG]

Badtone, djw, rustolium and 5 others like this.
  2. JeffHaddad

JeffHaddad Silver Supporting Member

Are you sure that’s a ‘79? Black panel ended in ‘67.
    Great amp either way!

Hackdog69, stratus and eoengineer like this.
  3. josephpnorman

josephpnorman Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I got an original 64 DR from a member here and it is truly a special amp. I do find that some guitars pair better with it than others though. It really loves my Ric 360.

eoengineer likes this.
  4. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Does 20 years count as recent?

5. eoengineer

The seller swapped out the faceplate. I wish I still had the silverface panel.

I was playing a LP junior and a LP standard through it briefly and certainly noticed big differences in how the amp responded to the fuller sounding guitars compared to my tele, but rolling the bass way back and pushing the treble just a bit really produced a nice tone.

Recent enough for this forum. This place has some OLDTIMERS.

wreckmark and Guitardave like this.
  6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

I had a BFDR and Fender HRD side by side a little while back.
    The DR was a bit brighter and quite charming in its sweet spot but, as expected, the HRD had more push, equally useful pleasant clean tone and decent OD channel to work with.
    There are many good sounds in many amps.:dunno

7. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

I own a mint all original late 64.

Mattbedrock likes this.
  8. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Supporting Member

45 for me! Still feels pretty recent and is a delight every time I fire it up!

Guitardave likes this.
  9. glumlord

glumlord Member

I recently picked up a DRRI in a partial trade situation, it’s the second time i’ve owned one and I have no intentions of selling this one like I did the last. It was loaded with a Jupiter 12LC when I got it which has completely changed my mind about Jensen style speakers. Would love to try a 12LA soon and have thought about upgrading to a solid pine cabinet at some point, but I think it’s mostly inconsequential. I haven’t disconnected the bright cap and probably won’t, but I am considering doing the internal jumper to add reverb to the normal channel.

At 4 or 4.5 the volume is perfect and like you said, it will compress a bit while still being pretty clean, clear and articulate.

Thanks for this thread btw, I always love to share this pic.

[​IMG]

10. Greentone

Greentone Member

My 71 has pretty much been the perfect amp for most gigs. I've never done a session where I didn't bring that amp. I do bring my 60's Pro Reverb to outdoor gigs sometimes for a bit more clarity and headroom, but my old Deluxe paid for itself 18 years ago.

70 Mach 1 likes this.
  11. 64 Tele

64 Tele Member

It was 1978 and I was playing an Ampeg VT22 (think Twin Reverb) and an additional Ampeg 4x12 cabinet when I first tried a DR.
    The DR was a 1966 Blackface and by the end of the evening, I'd bought it and the Ampeg was for sale. I never looked back (or owned an
    amp with more than 22 watts). I picked up a 1964 DR to pair with the 1966 along about 1984. Got some good Anvil cases for them both
    and they were my live amps for the next few years. If it was a big stage or playing outdoors, I'd use two (mic'd of course), if indoors I'd use
    the 1964.
    Foolishly, I sold both back in 2001, but picked up a Custom 68 Deluxe Reverb a couple years ago, so back in the fold.
    Have to have a DR and also a Princeton Reverb! :)

DV52 and eoengineer like this.
  12. zenas

zenas Member

I've had a 67 BFDR since 2010, as long as I can turn it past about 4 I'm happy with it. Sometimes I just can't do that but putting a Maverick in it really helped. But for most things lately I'm using a Princeton Reverb or early Reverberocket.
    Only good thing about this low volume crap is the amps are lighter. :)

eoengineer likes this.
  13. clarkram

clarkram Member

Another mint 64 here. when I think I might sell it I just plug it in, that ends any thoughts of selling.

14. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

I've owned probably 7 or 8 stretching back to 1982. I'd buy them, fall in love with something else and sell the Deluxes to buy it. No longer. I have a very clean 1965 and I'm keeping it. I've found the best speaker for me is a WGS 12C.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    jonnytexas and GGinMP like this.
  15. bill's guitars

bill's guitars Silver Supporting Member

here is a question I have for DR experts-a very knowledgeable and fine player I was speaking with informed me that the headroom / power output of a 1964 DR is less than 1965 and later-I have never heard this before-any truth to this?

16. mallcorn

mallcorn Member

They didn't get recorded on all those records for no reason. If you find your DR needs more volume in a band mix, get a Power Station II and not only can you add a loop (post power section), you can increase the overall output watts to up to 50 or their newest product soon to ship at 100 watts. I think this piece of gear (PSII) is a game changer for lots of folks that love their low wattage amps but wish they had a little more volume.

I had a Fender hand-wired Custom Shop '64 DR for about a year that I chose over a Dr. Z Z-Lux but a year later took it back and got the Z-Lux and couldn't be happier. Over the DR, it added a middle EQ control, choice of 20 or 40 watts, Boost, and just a great sounding amp. I believe the extra mids capability and 40 watts is what did it for me. Something special about 6V6 tube amps with a GZ34 rectifier tube just gets the mojo going...

17. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

I agree. I have the 65 FSR in Wine Red and it absolutely loves P90's. Early Angus toanz abound!

18. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Question for all of the DR experts here. I'm looking to get an inexpensive grab n go for gigs in smaller spaces. I'm very happy with my Allen Brown sugar but it's big.

For someone looking to get "most" of the goodness available in a Deluxe Reverb but also seeking to save money, is there a consensus on what might be the best value in DR's these days? Thanks in advance.

19. eoengineer

I’ve seen several used DRRI pop up locally in the last 3-4 months in the $600 range, which I’d consider a tremendous value. I opted for my ‘79 because I wanted handwired and some vintage mojo, but I’d have no reservations about gigging a DRRI.

20. TYR

TYR Member

The Deluxe Reverb and Princeton Reverb are probably my two favorite Fender amps.

GGinMP, Coiled and eoengineer like this.