The Demo I want to hear!

stevel

I can't believe people haven't done this on YT - or if they do, they either don't play the same thing, or are just putting whatever amp it is on 10, etc.

What I'd love to hear is a comparison of the Fender Blackfaces - Princeton, Deluxe, Vibrolux, Pro, Super, Twin, Showman, Bandmaster, especially period correct (piggybacks through the "right" cabinet, no major mods on the amps, etc.).

I wouldn't mind if some of them were Silverfaces - especially any that maintained the blackface circuit. Heck, I wouldn't mind if a few were Tweeds.

And it would be great to hear them all on 3, and then all the same relative volume (so the Twin might have to be on 2 to match a Princeton on 10 or something).

I know there has to be some Fender nuts out there who own 1 of each amp, or a good many of them, or two or more of each one!!! This is TGP FGS.

I've seen a few 2 amp comparisons - but most of those are poorly done (and the guitar is ALWAYS out of tune it seems).

If someone knows of a comparison like this (video or sound clip) please point me to one.

zztomato

All those blackface combos have a similar sound/tone. The lower wattage ones just break up earlier. I think that's probably why you don't see any comparison videos. I've played through them all and own a 64 DR. The piggybacks have a bit more "thump" but still retain that classic fender slightly scooped sound.

zenmindbeginner

Gold Supporting Member
What I'd love to hear is a comparison of the Fender Blackfaces - Princeton, Deluxe, Vibrolux, Pro, Super, Twin, Showman, Bandmaster, especially period correct (piggybacks through the "right" cabinet, no major mods on the amps, etc.). And it would be great to hear them all on 3, and then all the same relative volume (so the Twin might have to be on 2 to match a Princeton on 10 or something). I know there has to be some Fender nuts out there who own 1 of each amp, or a good many of them, or two or more of each one!!! This is TGP FGS.
It's only not enough to own the amps, but you'd need to be able to record them properly and adequately. This requires recording and engineering skills.

You'd also need to be able to set-up the comparison's while holding to the principles of Scientific Method... this requires patience and integrity.

... and the player would have to be at least decent. Videography would be needed too.

Sounds like a huuuuge exhaustive production and is probably why it hasn't been done yet.

That said, Johan Segeborn could do it... he's certainly done a lot of vintage at the same time Marshalls before.

stevel

Well, I'd be OK with an unscientific comparison with "decent" playing and "decent" recording - that would at least keep those variables constant, if not the best they could be.

zztomato - that's exactly why I'd want to hear them actually - how much relative breakup there is at the same overall db level would be important to me. How loud they go clean or at what volume they start to break up would be really important to others.

cugel

Gotta find a guy with access to all those amps.
What you need is a guy like Johan Segeborn. This is what he does but for all kinds of old Marshalls. Just awesome demos. even all different kinds of cabs and speakers. Most demos dont appeal to me since i dont like the way they are recorded. But Johans are great and simply, but well recorded. he uses a room mike and one on the speaker. sounds bigger and more like what you would expect playing in front of it.

Trending Topics