• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The Descendants film...Hawaiian music

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
I've watched this film a few times recently. (Really good, so check it out.)

The music is wonderful. I'm not too knowledgeable about Hawaiian music, but there are some gorgeous tunes from Gabby Pahinui and Keola Beamer. Some classic steel recordings too, but I'm not sure of the artists.

Last edited:

mikeguy53

I've got the soundtrack CD. Beautiful music on here. Great variety with slack key, uke, vocals, instumental etc.

amishtwister

You're thinking of the DescendENTS! ;)
Indeed. But seriously, that was a good film, and it got Dean Pelton from Community an Oscar.

Now if only someone had warned me that "The Kids Are All Right" was about a crazy, post-modern family situation and not another documentary about The Who...

(My apologies to the OP for high jacking with my joke. Hawaiin music is cool.)

butnut

Born and raised on the island, enjoyed the film and music...maybe oddly, I'm not a fan of Hawaiian music, the Beatles and rock and roll turned my world around.

flume

Platinum Supporting Member
back on point - yes - the soundtrack is amazing and a fine way to dive into slack key.

Another recent cd that is killer -no filler- is Jeff Peterson - Maui on my Mind. Check it and thank me later.

huskerjohn

I spent 10 years of my life on the islands. Back in the 70s I got the chance to meet Gabby Pahinui before he passed. He was most gracious with his time. I get goose bumps just thinking about it. Gabby almost singlehandedly resurrected slack key style Hawaiian music. I spent almost two years of my life trying to self learn slack key (before the Internet) from some old albums and a nylon string guitar. I haven't seen the documentary in the OP, but I'm going to search it out.

I've had Gabby listed in my sig for a long time as an influence along with Duane Allman, Jimi Hendrix, Tommy Bolin, etc. I figured almost no one had a clue who Pahinui was.

huskerjohn

born and raised in hawaii...first off this movie is a great representation of island life and the locations are spot on......

here are is my favorite slack key/hawaiian song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI0hkdyU1tY
Outstanding!! That was my first Hawaiian song I learned how to play! I love it too. Mililani grad here. It's been many years since I've lived in Hawaii, but slack key music is always on when we are making the long and beautiful drives in Alaska. Lots of island folks up here in the last great frontier.

slackandsteel

Little known fact is that Gabby was also a great steel guitar player unless you may have heard him play steel on Ry Cooders Chicken Skin Music album where he has two featured steel instrumentals. You can also hear his steel on the album "Hawaii's Favorite Slack Key and Steel Guitar instrumentals Volume 2" by the Maile Serenaders. I like Volume 1 better. It features Feet Rogers on steel and Gabby on guitar. Both played together in the band The Sons of Hawaii which lead the renaissance of "backyard" style Hawaiian music that you hear in the Descendants. Tis was back in the 70s when a popular native Hawaiian movement arose to reclaim their cultural heritage.

Trending Topics