The Diamond Memory Lane 2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DrGonzo, Feb 10, 2012.

1. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

I had one awhile back and things didn't click. I was looking for it to be a Deluxe Memory Man or a Maxon AD900 or some magical combination of both. I sold it and have regretted it ever since. I knew I was being impulsive and missing something. It was nagging at me.

With the supply of those MN3005 chips drying up by the day I knew I wanted to get another one before they stopped production and prices went the way of the Klon. Armed with the most recent PGS '$100 off a $599 order (yikes!) coupon', I got another one.

My initial reaction was the same. The modulation doesn't sound like a DMM...

Then I realized that this pedal is not a DMM and stopped looking at it that way. I started playing with it and realized it is its own AMAZING thing. The modulation has its own unique flavor of melty analog goodness. The slapback mode is killer, the ability to tap analog repeats is so cool....not digital reproductions of analog repeats, but tapping actual analog delay! The oscillation is so much fun. It's built like a tank. The knobs are cool, like they should be on an old Marantz tube amplifier. Mine has zero noise and it doesn't have the headroom problems I run into with the DMM.

Admittedly this pedal is crazy expensive, it's a board real-estate hog and it requires two of those prized 'high ma' outlets on your PP2+ and a special cable.....but....it's worth it.

So anyway, I churn through a lot of pedals and never really start threads praising any one pedal, but the ML2 is an exception. It's really good. Try one if you get a chance.

2. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

BINGO! You have quite nicely described why I've owned an ML2 since July of '09, and it's always a constant on my board. I still own a EHX DMM, and a Retro Sonic analog delay, but they spend most of the time up on my closet shelf. The ML2 is one of those classic keeper signature products... Once they're no longer available, they will be highly coveted, and prized.

3. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Supporting Member

I love some good 'ol modulation, but the ML2's "blocky" repeats are sooo fine to my ears that it feels like watering down a 60 year old scotch to modulate it. It just ruins the essence. I do however LOVE to darken and brighten it with the tone knob! That is a major selling point to me!

Analog BBD +1
    Tone knob ++1
    .8th Tap +++1
    ----------------------
    = ++++++Awesome

4. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

After wanting one for ages, got one recently. I've never been more inspired by a delay before; absolute magic.

The tone knob is one of the most important features. It changes how all the other knobs react to my playing.

As an aside, I power mine using the courtesy outlet on one of my PP2+s.

5. cbfurg

cbfurg Member

I've owned 3 ml2s and 1 ml1. Every time I sold one I immediately regretted it. The present one (serial # 69) is never leaving. I may buy another just to have a back up!

6. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

I'd love to know how many MN3005 chips Diamond has left.

I guess EHX finally ran out. Rumor I heard was that EHX found out they bought a bunch of fakes, which led to the abrupt end of the DMMwTT production run.

It would be cool if someone just cloned that chip exactly so we don't see the crazy prices which are inevitable.