The Digitech Whammy (Tom Morello)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stosman, Oct 20, 2008.

1. stosman

stosman Member

Ok guys... iv been thinking about getting the new Digitech Whammy pedal so i can emulate some of tom morello's teradactle sounds as well as using the harminizor and dive bomb settings...

Now its an £140 pedal.... and i just want to be 100% sure that its a good pedal and really worth the cash!!

all digitech guru's out there please let me kno what you think of the pedal and if you have one how cool is it really???=)

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i have the whammy 2 and love it. not a big fan of the newer ones because the knob makes it a PITA to change the settings on the fly. the sounds are great, though.

3. stosman

stosman Member

4. DaveinLondon

DaveinLondon Member

Don't have one myself but have been looking into the pedal a lot recently. I've been outbid at the last minute on a couple on eBay recently. The best UK price I've seen for a new one is £125.

There's the stereotypical Tom Morello +2 octave 'scream' but I can see myself using +1 octave, harmony, and detune(chorus) features more.

The current model (Whammy IV) has a bad reputation for damaging tone but there are instructions on the internet for a true bypass modification: http://www.rodrigoconstanzo.com/instruments/wh4.html You could always just keep it in a true bypass loop.

Here's some video of a friend using his Whammy:
    'Time Waits For No Man' (solo starting around 3min mark)
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x72cfk_the-invisible-time-waits-live-at-ca_music
    'Passion' (solo with Whammy at 03:45)
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x65lyg_the-invisisble-passion-live_music

5. mild

mild Member

Absolutely awesome pedal, no matter which model you get. It sounds completely alien no matter what you're doing, which for me is perfect - I love weird textures. It'll force you to play and think in completely different ways to your playing, and for me, I think that's worth the price of admission alone.

NB: I own the WH-1, but I've played the WH-4 and found myself having just as much fun - plus the footprint was more manageable.

6. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

great pedal with so many applications for the creative guitarist.

buy it used.
    plenty of people who buy them thinking that they are "Tom Morello" or "Johnny Greenwood" in a box and then can't figure out how to use them and wind up selling them.

7. SGosden

SGosden Member

i had the same dilema for quite a while, then bought an ex display whammy4.

its a brilliant pedal if u can use it creativly.
    personally i use only a few of the settings, n switchign between them is the only problem i have.

try goin into a shop n tryign it for a bit :)