the disappointment of not liking a new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fuzzbomb, Feb 25, 2009.

1. fuzzbomb

fuzzbomb Member

Just thought I'd commiserate with y'all ... I know other folks have this happen. An amp you were *sure* was gonna be *it* and be totally in love with just doesn't end up being right at all. I picked up a Splawn Pro Mod used at a good price. I was *sure* it was going to suit me. Played through it a couple of times, at my own house with my own guitars. After 3 months of rehearsals and a couple of gigs...I can't stand it. Just doesn't suit me at all. I guess everything I thought it was gonna be was totally wrong. Way, way, way, way too bright for me.

I'm only talking tone-wise, which is not the amp's fault. The build quality of the amp is killer, which makes it extra heartbreaking to not dig the tone. I'm only a few minutes from the Splawn shop, stopped by there a number of times and as people always say they are super cool people.

Oh well, on to the next I suppose.

2. bilbal

bilbal Member

I feel your pain. I traded a sweet 335 for a Bogner Shiva a year or so ago and it was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made, gear-wise. The amp was in perfect condition and built like a tank and very nice but I just couldn't get the dirty tone I wanted / thought it could give me.

Just take your time and sell it but be certain not to take a beating just because you want to unload it so badly.

Good luck,
    B

3. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

I have heard the exact same thing about that amp.

4. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I don't know... I get what your saying and sometimes wrong is wrong, but i've had my JCM 800 for almost 3 years and i'm still discovering things about it. And I know when I switched to it from a different amp I ran for many years, I found I was trying to make it sound like my old amp, which it is not. Some amps take time to get used to.

5. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

Traded for a Shiva head a few months back, and I was positive that it would be a great fit. I plugged into the amp and was so disappointed. I tried new tubes, rebias, everything I could think of, but I just couldn't get anything I liked out of it.

6. FREELESSONSNOW

FREELESSONSNOW Senior Member

I have had too many of the 'One' but was left disappointed. Sure glad i discovered Tone King amps though in the process.

7. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    Although I've never owned or played a Splawn amp, I have been disappointed on on a number of occasions by amps that (to my ear) were much too bright. There have been three basic issues for me that lead me to sell; too bright, not enough low end, no (or little) touch sensitivity. However, some of these same amps work great for others, so it's an individual thing. Anyway, since you live close to the Splawn shop, maybe they can suggest a mod that would make it more to your taste.

8. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Never buy an amp you can't play in person. That's my general rule.

9. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

Unfortunately, that puts a lot of amps out of reach for a lot of people.

10. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

Damn, that's rough. Oh well, now you can have the pleasure of GASing over something else!

11. amp boy

amp boy Member

follow your gut, it'll lead you right most of the time.
    though you have to know if it's a good vibe.......or just some craving at the time.

12. LavaMan

LavaMan Member

Just go get an Engnater Mod 50 and be happy....if you do not like the sound of a certain module you can get used for about $300 and new for $400 or so....

13. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

If I'd followed that advice I would have missed out on some killer sounding amps over the years. OTOH, I've never been disappointed by an amp. I've always researched any amp I couldn't play through very carefully. I haven't had much choice as I live in a semi-rural area. However, If I'd had the opportunity to try out any of the amps I owned in the past before purchasing them, I would have done so.

Tom

14. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I hate to hear the O.P. didn't like the Splawn. I had a quickrod and it was thick and chewy for me. I wish I had never sold it.

15. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

Just went through this myself. It sucks, luckily most retailers have a return policy. The plus side of buying used is that you usually won't take THAT bad of a hit; but if you buy new and try it out too long and miss the return window, you are SOL.

16. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I feel ya bro!! Excellent advise also.

17. LVC

LVC Senior Member

I been there ... several times .... purchased several amps, pedals, guitars etc by builders that are highly touted here and as much as I wanted to convince myself (and in the process others) that they were the cat's meow --- in the end, I sold them all and went back to what I originally had when the tone search began. Full circle.

It sucks when you finally comes to terms that an expensive piece of gear you purchased just does not work for you ....

Then every time you see a post by someone praising a piece that gear that you sold because you thought (lets be completely honest here) sucked ... you just sit back and wonder ... either after 40 years of playing I don't know jack .... or are these boutique "groupies" just plain delusional.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  18. jzilla

jzilla Supporting Member

or there are no absolutes as music is subjective.

19. synthnut

synthnut Member

I think what happens is that so many people get really involved in a particular amp, and the hype is just too much to bare .....You HAVE TO HAVE that amp !!...The hype get's to the point where you are one of those guys that just HAS to have that amp !!!..... A month or so later , that amp that you just spent thousands on is now selling used for 1/2 the price !!..... I rarely pay the price for a new amp unless it's getting blown out .... Even then it has to be a rediculous price for me to buy new ....Out of all the amps that I have bought and sold over the years , I would venture to say that maybe 1/3 of them have been a pleasant surprise ....The rest were OK and got sent on thier way after a couple of months .... Sometimes you ears will play tricks on you too ....You get ready to sell an amp , and your play it to make sure everything works on it , and you realize all over again why you bought the amp to begin with ....I can probably count on one hand how many amps I own that I am still very happy with after all these years !!....They still amaze me ...and then there's the one we all let get away !!....Mine was an early model Matchless HC30 heasd with matching cab ....I sold it for a great price , but would buy it back in a NY minute givin the chance ....Jim

20. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    So you obviously didn't fully test out this amp well before you bought. It's a bit of bad luck you don't like it but really - why are you surprised. You took a chance and it didn't work out :D