• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The "Don't Play It But Can't Sell It" Guitar Thread

Jonny D

What is in your collection that you just do not play, but can't bring yourself to sell?

For me it is a Yamaha Classical that was my only guitar through a bit of a tough passage in life. I just don't enjoy playing it anymore, but I can't even consider getting rid of it.

Tonaholic

I'm kind of a minimalist and don't really do the sentimental possession thing, in general. That includes my instruments.

pyroman

My very first guitar- an Ibanez RG3. I rarely play it, but when I do get the hankering, I love it all over again.

My Fender Blacktop Strat. It sat for the longest time after the honeymoon period was over. I think I wanted it to be something other than what it was. I picked it up yesterday, and just happened to be playing along to early Zeppelin. It sounded WAY better in this role. Again, I fell in love with the guitar all over again.

A cheapie Affinity Strat. Love the color and wood. Pickups sound cheap and nasty- but in a good way. I paid $60 for it used. I doubt I'd get even half that for it. Not worth selling, really. Plus, if I ever get the hankering to frankenstein something, I'll use this- the bones are good.

My basses. All three of them. I'm simply in a guitar phase now. Eventually I'll get the urge to play bass again. They'll be there waiting for me!

Stratburst70

I have a couple of those.

- My dad's old Goya nylon-string acoustic. It's nicely built but completely unusable as a gigging guitar: there's not much bracing so it howls like a banshee whenever I use a pickup on it. I've recorded with it a bit but there's no way I could ever gig it. It used to be my dad's so it has sentimental value; I wouldn't get any $$$ for it in the used market, either.

- My Les Paul Junior. Again, the pickup howls like a banshee whenever I plug it in and use any kind of gain. It also gets way too much attention whenever I bring it out to a gig so I'm scared to go to the clubs with it. I'm pondering a pickup swap; maybe that'll get it in my hands more often.

serial

My 1976 Hamer Standard (#0017). It's in near mint original condition-even the case is pristine, but I rarely play it and it's one of my few non-gigging guitars. Coincidentally, my other non gigging guitar is also on the front cover of the Hamer book-a lefty Hamer Phantom that was Elliot Easton's.

V-man

I have a few guitars and as many as 3 amps that I could happily turn over. However, I don't for 1 reason: $.

If I could get what I put into them or what I feel I deserved for them I would sell. However, the market will not support my expectations, so I hang onto them instead.

plaintopper

There is only one I will never sell, and she rarely gets played anymore. It's the first one I paid for with my own money, the first one I played guitar in a gigging band with (after selling my drums to help finance it). It's a black, early 80s, E Series MIJ Squire Strat. The electronics are now sketchy, the frets are worn to the point of no return. But there she sits. The best neck I think i have ever played on a bolt-on guitar. I really do need to have her refretted and spruced up. I only bought one Strat in all the years since, an American Deluxe, which sucked compared to the E Series Squire and I sold that thing pretty quickly. I figured out pretty quickly I had the only Strat I really wanted.

At any rate, the Japanese Squire will never leave me until my son inherits it. Too many memories in that one, and it's a great Strat to boot. When I plug that thing in, college and the years right after come pouring right back to me ... and pouring out of that guitar. How can you ever sell the guitar that you used to the headstock of to jack a drunken frat boy's jaw with during Purple Haze, when he wouldn't quit invading my space and grabbing it while I was trying to frickin play? Priceless. Started a mini row, and then we kept playing. Or the guitar I wrote all of my early original music on? Nah, she is a keeper.

Every other guitar I have ever owned, as great as some are and have been, are fair game at any time to hit the bricks whenever the whim strikes me.

Jonny D

Another non-seller for me is my Epiphone Emperor Regent, which I got as an engagement present from my wife. I don't play it a lot, but I just can't bring myself to sell it off. I have the space to store it, so I do.

Corinthian

A PRS McCarty. It was a 30th birthday gift from my wife.

It's a beautiful guitar, very well made and plays and sounds great. But for humbucker tones I have a Yaron Les Paul and there's really no contest. If it didn't have sentimental value I'd have sold it and bought a Suhr but selling gifts is just not cool in my book.

MagRick

I'm kind of a minimalist and don't really do the sentimental possession thing, in general. That includes my instruments.
You should have stayed away from this thread as the title clearly says what the thread is about...

OP.. for me its my Dean VMNT... when i was into heavy metal and stuff...

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
I have a '94 PRS CU24 that my wife bought me when we were first married. We had no money, and had no business buying a guitar like that. I thought it was going to be the answer to my gigging problems - used to play back to back gigs without the ability to head home for more gear. Show #1 was a supper club "standards" gig, show #2 was a bar gig playing blues and classic rock. My strats weren't cutting it - I needed something really versatile. The PRS just didn't work for me. I LOVED how other people sounded playing it, but I was too used to my single coil tone to bond with it.

Mentioned selling it a few times over the past 18 years. My wife would tear up - not a good sign. Kept playing it but couldn't make it work with my rig. Played it enough where I wore the frets down quite a bit. Last year I sent it out for a refret using stainless frets. And in the interim, bought a Mesa Mark V and a 1X12" cab.

Guitar came back, I plugged into the Mesa, and was instantly taken where that guitar needed to be. I came to the realization that all of my other amps (vintage Fender types) have 10" speakers, and really don't work with what PRS was doing with the Custom. The Mesa, on the other hand, is where that guitar needed to be.

So yeah, I have a "don't play it but can't sell it" guitar, or used to. That guitar is now in the #1 spot.

Average Joe

I have an old strat style that I foolishly tried to relic when I was younger and dumber. It's a good instrument that unfortunately look like ****, and so I can't sell it for even remotely what it's worth as an instrument. So for now I'm hanging on to it

Totally Bored

My Black Danelectro DC 59. It's that whole Jimmy Page worship thing. It does look good on the wall and U think of it as $250 art so it's all good.

modavis99

Silver Supporting Member
I had this one painted by Dan Lawrence for my old band. It's a piece of art, but I don't play it much now - not in the style of my hew band

axe4me

I'm gigging with mostly 30 watt amps these days.
My Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head is way more wattage than I need.
There's not much $'s in the used market for these things.

poonman66

Silver Supporting Member
Went through a purge recently and the ONLY things I kept were the 2 things I went to 99% of the time: my '62 SG & '61 Super. I kept my all-time favourite Strat build for quite awhile (seen below) out of sentimentality I suppose but, at the end of the day everything else not in use was just "cool to own"...

GreenKnight18

I have a 93 or 94 Strat deluxe plus. Strange to realize that it's 20 years old. Played it all through college. I've changed bits of it, had my friend paint a design with model paint, got rid of the lace sensors, and actually managed to wear through the black poly coat to see some Sherwood green underneath?!?

I love that guitar and I played it to death. It's never going anywhere unless my son gets into guitars.

Kurt L

I have a '79 Gibson "The SG" and a Sigma dreadnought that my Mom bought while I was in high school. Too sentimental to offload them...

She even pulled the trigger on the SG (my first guitar) without asking Dad first!

Gearaddict

I couldn't give away my 2012 hss USA Deluxe Strat, so did the next best thing...ripped out and sold the pickups and replaced. It's a keeper now.

I'm kinda this way with my Taylor. It's a 414KCE that I bought new many years ago, and it has koa back and sides. It's a beautiful playing and sounding guitar, and the best acoustic I have ever owned. I've owned several acoustics, including Martins, Gibsons, Ovations, Alvarez, and Takamine. But none of them stayed long, because I'm just not really an acoustic player. Each was good, but not perfect for me. When I got my 414KCE, I knew it was special. It was really the perfect acoustic for me. But remember, I'm not much of an acoustic player. And also, I have found that I tend to not play guitars that are in cases. Which is why all my guitars are hanging. Except for my Taylor. Because of humidity changes, and how "special" this guitar is, I keep it in it's case, in the closet. I got it out last week, and played it for a couple of days. Absolutely wonderful sounding guitar. But I hadn't had it out for about three years. It's now back in the closet, and who knows how long it may be before I touch it again. I've thought about selling it, but can't bring myself to do it. I keep telling myself that "someday" I'll want to play more acoustic. Not sure if that will ever happen. But after I'm gone, someone will get a really nice, beautifully aged Taylor guitar.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom