The dotted delay rhythm trick (feat. Where the Streets Have No Name by U2)

Mooncat84

Awesome sounding guitar trick, just listen to the first 10 seconds of the video to hear it. Lesson includes how to play the riff, the theory behind how that delay effect works, how to set your delay to any bpm using a simple equation to work out the milliseconds, and some further applications of the technique. It's a fun tutorial, hope you enjoy it!

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Awesome sounding guitar trick, just listen to the first 10 seconds of the video to hear it. Lesson includes how to play the riff, the theory behind how that delay effect works, how to set your delay to any bpm using a simple equation to work out the milliseconds, and some further applications of the technique. It's a fun tutorial, hope you enjoy it!

FWIW it's also the Albert Lee, EVH, Yngwie delay trick...

middy

You can set it by ear easy. Just set it to the first 2 notes of a Bo Diddley beat.
XooXooXoooXoXooo

Tootone

While it is good that you have an eager mind and willing to learn, do not fall into the trap of believing that its a "dotted eighth" as many YouTubers would have you believe.

In many cases, it's not.

Any delay time where the delay echoes play inbetween the notes you play will give you this effect.

For example... what if you were playing dotted eighths? How would you set the delay time then?

This is a rabbit hole well worth exploring. It will also lead you into the use of Dual Delays, each set up to "dot" each other, and what you are playing.

Bon voyage!

Mooncat84

While it is good that you have an eager mind and willing to learn, do not fall into the trap of believing that its a "dotted eighth" as many YouTubers would have you believe.

In many cases, it's not.

Any delay time where the delay echoes play inbetween the notes you play will give you this effect.

For example... what if you were playing dotted eighths? How would you set the delay time then?

This is a rabbit hole well worth exploring. It will also lead you into the use of Dual Delays, each set up to "dot" each other, and what you are playing.

Bon voyage!
I guess I understood it to mean that at whatever BPM the delay is set to, the repeat will happen a dotted 8th after the note you strike, whenever you strike it, which makes sense to me and seems to be what happens. What you say is very interesting however, and I kind of understand it lol. Will have to go down that rabbit hole, like you say. I'm particularly interested in different interlocking patterns using two delays. Do you have any examples of such? Either in terms of settings, or even an existing song that has some examples?

Tootone

I guess I understood it to mean that at whatever BPM the delay is set to, the repeat will happen a dotted 8th after the note you strike, whenever you strike it, which makes sense to me and seems to be what happens. What you say is very interesting however, and I kind of understand it lol. Will have to go down that rabbit hole, like you say. I'm particularly interested in different interlocking patterns using two delays. Do you have any examples of such? Either in terms of settings, or even an existing song that has some examples?
Start here...
http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/#songlist

Trending Topics