The Dr. Z Mazerati GT is a MONSTER AMP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dewman, Nov 7, 2007.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I got to spend some time with the new Mazerati GT at FatSound today when I was picking up a new guitar. Man that amp smokes! Best Z amp yet IMHO. Mike A. let me crank her up with a Collings 290. Holy Jesus....They must have had a new shipment in because there were 6 stacked on top of each other. I asked and at least 4 were not yet spoken for yet. I am debating getting one asap but gotta unload a few pieces to do so. I tell you, this amp has it going on. All that singing sustain, the low end of a typical Z, and sort of, at least to my ears, I hear a lot of Trainwreck/Komet Constellation in that amp. The one I played (for those of you who have been by FatSOund) was the red head into a red 2x12 ZBest. I didn't get to try out any others, so I don't know if they are consistently of te same tone, but my guess is that it probably is. I dialed in the tone to between 11 and 1 and the volume around 9 to 11 and it smokes. There is not an incredible amount of play in the volume knob, since it gets cranked up there pretty soon, but I guess if I understand right that amp is totally meant to be played with controlling volume with your guitar- at least that is how I would do it since it cleans up and warms up quite nicely at lower volumes. I really like this amp. It gets a phenomenal blues sound, sort of like te Ghia can, but with a lot more girth (and harmonics) and more gain on tap if you want it. This is the ultimate amp for me in that it is just a single tone and volume control, and you can setit up around 10 on the volume and noon on the tone and ride your guitar volume ad tone controls for a very wide range of sounds from clean to a little hair to flat out rawk.

It was fairly loud through the ZBest and I can tell that it has that ability to cut throgh but is still warm and very touch sensitive. I can only compare the feel and tone of that ampto something like a Komet or Wreck. It as that sort of singing quality to it. I think this may be Z's best design yet. I love the Gia, and this has Ghia tone plus that Wreck/Komet feel too. I was hoping the Galaxie would have that tone and feel on channel two but it was more Marshall or Higher gain Fender tweed to my ears. This on the other hand is to me a completely different amp and me likey. I gotta look around to see wat I can let go of so I can get one. Stu had a couple of cool colors/panel schemes too, like a blond w/ brown grill which I liked and a wood panel version, which was my second favorite.

Anyway, not trying to hype this amp too much since I haven't seen it in a band situation yet. I did laugh when I played the first few notes cranked, it sounded that good. Anyone know how this performs live, please share that experience. Also, if anyone knows whether it would sound good with a 2x12 cab or 4x12 cab with Celestion greenbacks or greenback reissues let me kow too. Some of Z's amps sound best with his ZBest cab, so I guess if any one has that info please let us know since I have GAS for this thing real bad.....

2. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

Sounds cool. What's the tube compliment? Still just 2 12ax7's? How does he get that much gain out of two gain stages?

3. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I heard that the Maz GT is pretty much into 'Wreck territory.

Hope you can score one!

4. dewman

me too...Stu had a ton in stock, just got them in, but I imagine they will be gone soon. I would have gotten one today but I actually went over there to pick up a new guitar, and I already have just enogh gear earmarked for the chopping block (reluctantly, I might add). Stupid me was having so much fun playing, I forgot to ask what was the tube compliment. I know the power section is a quartet of EL84s, but I didnt ask if it was the octal tube style preamp (like a Connie) or a regular 12AX7 based circuit. I know nothing about this. Maybe some of the guys who went to the Dr. Z's shop this summer for the Z Day could chime in since I believe the amp was initially revealed there. I should call Stu tomorrow and ask what's powering these babies. I tell you, for the $$, this amp has a lot of the sound and feel and dynamics of a Wreck or Connie while maintaining that unique Z tone (tight bass, smooth overdrive, dead quiet at high volumes, etc.). I am no expert, by the way, so my ears might be hearing different things your ears may hear. Nonetheless, it sounds like a monster amp to me. I gotta get one.

5. yoyohomieg5432

yoyohomieg5432 Member

is the GT a new model? i dont see it on the website.

whats the differences between this and the regular mazerati?

6. mazjr

mazjr Member

I can't wait to hear one myself!

7. dewman

Yeah it is the new Mazerati GT, a new model or I suppose could be considered a significant revision of the old Mazerati. The old Mazerati was like a Ghia times two. This new one is voiced differently, has more gain on tap and has this great singing quality. It still has the same Ghia/Mazerati style tone control, and a single volume. There are some A/B clips on the Z forum with an SRZ amp, but I dont kow if it has been added to the main site yet. Call Stu at FatSound...he'll know all the history and can answer your questions. I am going to give him a call to see what tubes this baby takes. And I would also like to know what cabs it works well with. I bet this amp would be righteous through a 4x12 with some nice old celestions or scumbacks. If it can work well with my existing cabs...I'm in.

8. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

9. dewman

nice clips...GASing hard...

10. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Amp GAS is the hardest to pass :D Hang in there man!

11. fjam82

fjam82 Member

How much does it cost?

12. dewman

around $1600 or $1650 I believe. Worth every penny. I wonder how these babies sound with an Airbrake. Anyone know??

13. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Those clips on the Z forum are recorded with an Air brake..... I think? It's an attenuator, but not sure which one he used.

14. fjam82

fjam82 Member

I tried the airbrake on my old delta 88 and it completely killed the tone. Even on the first click, it changes the response and overall tone/feel of the amp... It sounds like there is a thick blanket over the amp compressing it to death and eating up the highs... I had to sell my delta because it was too loud and airbrake is out of the question!

15. dewman

I think this amp could be run without the airbrake comfortably. I set it on 9 and tone on noon and it was loud but not crazy loud, yet had the sustain and bite and all the good things of a cranked amp, but you could roll down the volume on your guitar and it clened up. I was using a P90 loaded COlings as a test guitar, and so you'd have a little less volume at that setting with a strat or Les Paul, so my guess is the sweet spot is a little higher, and band volumes are a tiny bit higher ever further.

16. dewman

anyone get one or test one yet- what tubes are in it?? I didnt get a cance to go over on Monday. I'm likely going to order one from Fat Sound if I can have a go at it through a couple of my cabs. I don't have a ZBest, but I bet it would sound great into a 4x12 with some celestions.

17. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Dewman,

I'm resurrecting this thread.

I just got a Mazerati GT coming in from Stu. It's RED!!!

18. freak4liferu

freak4liferu Member

Great!!! Excited to hear some clips when you get it. Sounds like a great amp, making my Christmas list this year though is next to impossible, I just got a Z Stingray, and a flight case for my pedal board.

19. dewman

Gil I played yours....he...he..he...she's NICE!!!!

Let me know how you like it.

20. sicktone

sicktone Member

...and we know the red ones sound best:horse:AOK