The dream of the eighties is alive in Seattle

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by chrisrnps, Feb 23, 2012.

1. chrisrnps

chrisrnps Member

Hi there!

My name is Chris. Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Just 'officially' signed up to read about pedals and pedalboards, and to shop for used pedals in the Emporium section, as I'm in the process of going back to the land of 'real guitars, a pedalboard, and a tube amp' after several years of 'all Variax and digital amp modeling' setups, as I found myself using the same couple sounds all the time - might as well get the 'real thing' instead of having very convenient access to almost-acceptable models of 98 things I don't use. :huh

So now I've got a Pedaltrain Pro with some empty space left on it, and that just won't do, so here I am.

I moved to Seattle from Oregon in the early 1990s in no small part because of the music scene, but not because of Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Tad, or Mudhoney. No, I was more interested in The Posies, Sky Cries Mary, Diamond Fist Werny, Kill Switch...Klick, and the like. My own music probably sounds like post-punk or new wave from the UK circa 1979-1984 than anything "Seattle-ish".

I do tend to play Jaguar guitars and wear shirts with horizontal stripes and listen to indie rock that gets called "angular" or "post-____" rather often, but I'm neither skinny nor youthful enough to qualify as a 'hipster'.

I'm not a purist about music or music gear (or much of anything, really). My two main guitars are CIJ Jaguars, one of which has Filtertron knockoffs in it, the other with WRHB knockoffs. Then there are a couple Teiscos (both of which have also seen the business end of a router), an Ibanez "Talman Artcore", the last Variax I haven't sold (yet, mulling over it), a couple basses, a couple acoustics, two violins, several synths, and a drum kit cramping the "studio" (aka "basement, sharing space with the washer and dryer") as well.

A metal flake finish on an instrument or other piece of gear influences my purchase decisions way more than I would like to admit. Any kind of 'sunburst', 'tobacco burst', or 'too much brown' on an instrument says "your dad's blues-jam guitar" to me. Even though I am a dad now.

I play guitar but I don't like "guitar music" or guitar solos very much of the time (although there is blackmail material in my past involving Ibanez superstrats, Steve Vai, Satriani, and Living Colour albums, and I have been to Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, and Santana concerts - don't tell or I'll lose whatever "indie rock cred" I might have hoped for someday). I guess my idea of "guitar hero" nowadays has more to do with people who add new sounds to the "vocabulary" of rock music, like The Edge, or Robert Fripp, or Robin Guthrie, in a way that appeals as interesting or evocative music, not just to roomfuls of other guitarists standing there with their arms folded.

I play several different instruments, but none of them at anywhere near "virtuouso" level, and don't really have any interest in that path anymore. I'm more interested in how the different instruments and sounds work with and against each other, both in arrangements and 'production'.

And, like a lot of people, I've got a bunch of 'when I get a Round Tuit' projects waiting for me - mod some guitars, repair some studio rack gear with intermittent problems, build an electric violin and semihollow electric guitar, build a couple stompboxes, a reamp box, and some other doo-dads, and the like.

So, that's a start. Music is somewhere between a ludicrously expensive hobby and an extremely unprofitable career for me, but I could never quit. Even if I didn't have an unexplainable passion and drive for "music, music, music", there are few other fields where can you be a band geek, electronics nerd, wood-shop dork, and still have people (at least those who don't know you) think you're 'cool'.

So, uh... hi. :wave

2. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Welcome aboard Chris!

3. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi Chris,

Welcome to TGP.

Jim

4. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Hello Chris,