The Dumble Tone Quest

The DUMBLE QUEST !

I don’t even know if someone will read this. But I read alot of stuff from reviews on the GP and I thought I’d could give an honest review after years of searching for a very specific tone ( Dumble OD Special)

I currently have several Dumble Type pedal on my board that I’ve Compared and put against using a Switcher with individual loop (like Gig Rig)

The Pedal I’ll be reviewing are

Hermida Zendrive (bought in 2007)

Jetter – Gain Stage Red (bought in 2007)

Gtrwrks – Flat V

Free the Tone – MS SOV (MS-2V)

J. Rockett – The DUDE

First of all, to be fair let compare Apple with Apple …

The Dude vs the Zendrive : They are both Very Dumbly type pedal

They sound very much alike. I’ve used the Zendrive from years till I came up with the DUDE.

The DUDE doesn’t sound any better … but it’s doing more than the Zen meaning it can go further.

The zendrive doesn’t clean up as well as the dude when backing off the volume.

The zendrive tends to sound muddy on the neck Pu with high gain.

The Zen is dead QUIET even Maxed out. That pedal Screams and as a open sound.

The Dude cleans up better with the volume backed down. The Dude can be way fattier (low mids) it also has more gain.

The pedal is not quiet, when maxed out the pedal seems microphonic … kinda weird ...

The MS SOV vs Jetter GSR

Bought pedal sound similar and they bought have their own character.

MS SOV, clean up like no pedal I’ve used . Really has a lot of headroom.

The pedal is crisp and very define. Very Touch sensitive

No huge mid Bump here. Very transparent OD/Clean Boost

Jetter has more low ends, it has a Mids Bump (more toward the D-style)

It’s clean-up kinda good but never as much as the MS SOV.

Fairly low gain pedals. Bought singing and sustaining like crazy. Very musical.

I hope my review helps some people who seek these pedals …

There is a lot of hype around them … And they are Great Pedals it’s true.

Cheers, Phil From Montreal, Canada

Last edited:

Mooncef

The DUMBLE QUEST !

I don’t even know if someone will read this. But I read alot of stuff from reviews on the GP and I thought I’d could give an honest review after years of searching for a very specific tone ( Dumble OD Special)

I currently have several Dumble Type pedal on my board that I’ve Compared and put against using a Switcher with individual loop (like Gig Rig)

The Pedal I’ll be reviewing are

Hermida Zendrive (bought in 2007)

Jetter – Gain Stage Red (bought in 2007)

Gtrwrks – Flat V

Free the Tone – MS SOV (MS-2V)

J. Rockett – The DUDE

First of all, to be fair let compare Apple with Apple …

The Dude vs the Zendrive : They are bought Very Dumble type pedal

They sound very much alike. I’ve used the Zendrive from years till I came up with the DUDE.

The DUDE doesn’t sound any better … but it’s doing more than the Zen meaning it can go further.

The zendrive doesn’t clean up as well as the dude when backing off the volume.

The zendrive tends to sound muddy on the neck Pu with high gain.

The Zen is dead QUIET even Maxed out. That pedal Screams and as a open sound.

The Dude cleans up better with the volume backed down. The Dude can be way fattier (low mids) it has more gain.

The pedal is not quiet, when maxed out the pedal seems microphonic … maybe it’s a good thing it brings out more harmonics.

The MS SOV vs Jetter GSR

Bought pedal sound similar and they bought have their own character.

MS SOV, clean up like no pedal I’ve used . Really has a lot of headroom.

The pedal is crisp and very define. Very Touch sensitive

No huge mid Bump here. Very transparent OD/Clean Boost

Jetter has more low ends, it has a Mids Bump (more toward the D-style)

It’s clean-up kinda gobut never as much as the MS SOV.

Fairly low gain pedals. Bought singing and sustaining like crazy.

I hope my review helps some people who seek these pedals …

There is a lot of hype around them … And they are Great Pedals it’s true.

However the music business I like that you end up paying a lot of money for some unknown reason …

Cheers, Phil From Montreal, Canada
So who wins this in your opinion ?
does playing MS-SOV at gig volume makes it breathe and come to life better ?

donfrantz

Yo! You stealin’ all the cool.
Gold Supporting Member
I've had Zen, Ethos, Dude--all good but really like the Dumbloid.

AndySertin

I've found that the MS-SOV and TS808hw sounds really close to each other and perform "that" job very well.

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
Tanabe Dumkudo...super versatile but gets that Dumble tone for me, at least as I appreciate it. Zendrive was ok, but just couldn't bond with it. I think I expected too much, honestly.

Hey guys, First i wanna thank you for sharing your thought on this post.

Lately i've tried out the Simble from Mad Professor , good pedal very very similar to the Zendrive.

The Ms-SOV was kinda of a disappointment for me since i paid a whole lot of cash to get one ... i'm not saying that the pedal doesn't sound good ... but the tone i got out of it were kinda weird ... blanket feel in front of the amp.

I manage to get my hands on a Van Weelden- Royal Overdrive ... First thing first ... i never agreed with having to pay 600$ US for an overdrive pedal. I Had a friend who had one here in Montreal so i went to his place and tried it out.

I played it thought a Two Rock Studio Pro 50, i compared it side by side with my go to Dumble pedal (Zendrive, Simble)
at first there was some noticeable differences .. after a week of playing the ROD i understood what the fuss what all about.

The note definition you get with the ROD is outstanding ... it's an extension of your amp ... it's an OD channel !

The Van Weelden is a lot of Cash ... but if your really digging the Dumble Tone it's an investment ... i've spent so much on smaller pedals that in the end i should of bought the ROD and only the ROD ...

Don't get me wrong ... it's not like a real OD channel on a good boutique Amp ... But it's pretty awesome for what it can do !

I Sold the Simble , i kept the Zendrive for a smaller board and because it's the very first D-Style pedal i got back in the days and it's the one that stayed of my board for the longest time.

Cheers, Phil

Last edited:

Pao

You also need to try Shin's Dumbloid (and the Shin designed MXR pedal, Shin-juku)

There's also the Mad Professor Simble

johnh

I've found that the MS-SOV and TS808hw sounds really close to each other and perform "that" job very well.
I'm very surprised that these two pedals sound so similar. I always though that the SOV was supposed to have flatter mids and more bass than a tubescreamer?

AndySertin

I'm very surprised that these two pedals sound so similar. I always though that the SOV was supposed to have flatter mids and more bass than a tubescreamer?
Perhaps, but the HW is different (in a better way) than the typical Tubescreamers. A friend and I were pretty surprised as well.

Trending Topics