The e-scale Oni 8 string has arrived! (Black Friday surprise)

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
What does it sound like??? What are it's advantages?

It has a very aggressive and clear tone. The low B and E are very solid and punchy.

The advantages of the E scale are that it balances tension on the low string while preserving a standard scale length for the high strings. Its less awkward on the higher frets than a standard fanned fretboard would be. Chords are easier and the feel is more ergonomic than fanned frets.

mykljpao

Absolutely stunning example of elegant complexity / simplicity. Scary too.....two more avenues on which to get lost, lol.

whoismarykelly

Absolutely stunning example of elegant complexity / simplicity. Scary too.....two more avenues on which to get lost, lol.

Its a little intimidating at first but you get used to it. I will say the transition to playing an 8 from a 6 or 7 is significantly more difficult than just going from 6 to 7. I've had a lot of time to get used to playing 7s with extra high or low strings in the last 15 years so its not completely disorienting but going from a tele to this and back in one sitting can be surreal.

fatoni

looks ultra rad. i think i would just be afraid of that weird proprietary pickup shape but i never ever change pickups so i guess it wouldnt matter.

whoismarykelly

looks ultra rad. i think i would just be afraid of that weird proprietary pickup shape but i never ever change pickups so i guess it wouldnt matter.

The pickups were designed for exactly what I wanted. They are neodymium humbuckers with individual coils for each polepiece which allows you to balance the pickups across the strings and with the complex scale differences.

I keep coming back to check this out. The body shape and finish remind me of a Thumb bass which was always one of my favorite designs. I love the look of the pickups and the bridge. It all looks so "right" together.

whoismarykelly

I keep coming back to check this out. The body shape and finish remind me of a Thumb bass which was always one of my favorite designs. I love the look of the pickups and the bridge. It all looks so "right" together.

It reminds me a lot of the Dolphin bass in practice which I always found to be better balanced and more ergonomic than the Thumb.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
Kind of reminds me of one of Charlie Hunters Novak guitars. That covers a lot of harmonic content,lol!

dr.morton

Awesome guitar.

I'm a Teuffel fanboy but for an 8-string guitar Oni would be among my first choices.

But waiting three years...

whoismarykelly

Awesome guitar.

I'm a Teuffel fanboy but for an 8-string guitar Oni would be among my first choices.

But waiting three years...

Three years was the result of a bunch of unpredictable delays. I dont know what the wait is now but it probably isn't that long. I believe Dan is trying to move toward a set of production guitars rather than full customs like this one. That would dramatically decrease wait times.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom