The ebay phenomenon

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 59Vampire, Jan 21, 2008.

1. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Hey dudes. im looking for some answers and figured this woudl be the palce to get them

I advertised a supposedly highly sought out analog delay here at what i thought was a competitive price. I posted it for MONTHES. no one even made me a lowball offer here! one day on ebay and its gone. Is this a sign of the times? what is the deal? imean, i would rather any item that i need to move go to a fellow forum member just for the sake of giving back to those who have helped me in the past, but business sense say, put it on the bay and get max dollars.

im not a dick( dont ask my ex wife about that) but should i say screw it and get what I can on the bay. Beleive it or not those extra 5, 10 , 15 bux make difference when there is child support to pay but the karma aspect of posting here also has its merits.

any feedback??

2. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

I've also noticed that happen recently. I used to always get things sold here, but as of late tons of the offers I receive are low ball or no offers at all. A lot of trade offers when I mark no trades, and a lot of offers for fuzz pedals when I specify looking for trades but I don't like fuzz. To be honest, it's getting much easier to sell things on ebay. I'll have something gone in a day for a price I'm happy with, as opposed to dropping my prices for a week and eventually practically giving it away on here.

3. utterhack

utterhack Member

Same experience here. Even at decent prices stuff has been moving very slowly here, while for the same price it'll be snapped up on ebay, and will sell quickly even at a fee-covering 10% premium. Granted, ebay is a MUCH larger market. Maybe all of us here are just full up?

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Unless it's the best, it seems like it would be hard to move here. One person buys the new hotness, they sell it to another person on here who wants to make their own choice about it, then they sell it.

Seems to be leftover pedals that people didn't feel were the best for what they wanted. There are some very picky players on here, and people do a lot of test driving. I like that I can a relatively new pro-am pedal for $50-60 less than the new price, because it didn't suit the taste of a pro player.

5. utterhack

utterhack Member

Has nothing to do with "best" - this is a recent phenomenon.

6. starfish

starfish Member

I made a killing cashing out my Lovetone collection on eBay. Sum total hundreds more (all pieces added up) than originally listed here, which received lukewarm interest and took far to much effort to bump for little interest.

But on the flipside, I have moved many, many lower dollar items here. May be a price barrier?

Then again on eBay, you can't just post dibs in a thread then counter offer for 2-3 rounds. On eBay, I list BIN and if it's rare and they want it, they win. If not, they don't usually get very long to second guess before the competition moves in for the kill. :)

7. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

I think a lot of it has to do with familiarity. Everyone knows about eBay, but not that many people know about TGP. I agree that stuff seems to move more quickly on eBay, but most of us gear freaks would rather try to sell our stuff on TGP or other forums rather than pay the ever-increasing fees charged by eBay. With that being said, I've scored some really great finds recently on eBay and rarely does it take more than a few days to complete a sale as long as your item is priced reasonably.

8. MrSage

MrSage Member

A lot of people here look for killer deals in the classifieds, so you'll move some things at market prices, but they'll generally take longer to sell unless you happen to find someone looking for it right away.

eBay is a much bigger market, so you'll generally get market rate much more quickly.

9. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I like to pass deals onto my fellow TGP'ers, but I have a limit. If it goes below, it's off to eBay. But I try to pay it forward when I can. I just can't always :)

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I think TGP members as a whole have a really, really good idea what stuff is worth (especially older, used finds) than on ebay. I also some TGP'ers have no concept of USED gear. I've seen many adds where people will sell something (the same price I bought it for new... ummm, yeah, but it's NOT new anymore???)
    I have found some great scores here on TGP, but nothing like on ebay where if you do your research, play your cards right (and don't bid against yourself :nono) you can make out pretty good. I'm also surprised to find in most cases on ebay that even those people seem to care about their gear (handling, shipping on time, communication, making sure everything arrives safe and sound). I am still wary overall, but I was pleasantly surprised to find open lines of communication for most of the gear I bought on ebay. Moreso on TGP of course, but it helps.
    I think the best TGP deals you will find are when someone needs to sell a piece of gear to purchase of augment purchase of something they just bought.

11. NicDo

NicDo Member

There seems to be a lot of searching for the latest and greatest here.

A lot of musicians might not know about TGP believe it or not. no one in my band has ever even heard of the gear page!

And then theres the fact that you need a non-throw away email to start off. i lurked here for 2.5 YEARS until i could get a suitable email address (i don't have at home computer access). i would have bought a lot if i could have. now within 4 months of being able to register, i've bought 2 great amps, several cabs with speakers, road cases, high end pedals, great cables.

12. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I've always been able to sell stuff for way more on ebay. It's just the amount of visibility it provides. I still sell most stuff off ebay because it's a bit of a pain as compared to posting a thread here but if I don't need the money for another purchase RIGHT NOW then I can always make $20-40 more on ebay. You can pretty much sell used gear at new gear prices, I've done it many times.

13. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

Best deals are here, best place to sell is eBay because of the bigger audience.

14. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Same thing happening to me. I can't seem to give away my Zen 2. Ebay it is.

15. Jennman47

Jennman47 Supporting Member

Dog Boy, when did you have a Zen for sale on GP?

16. XKnight

XKnight Member

I always list my pedals on TGP first at what I believe to be a fair price. If they don't sell within a reasonable time, it's off to Ebay. I have noticed that during the last few months it's getting harder to sell pedals here at the prices they use to command. I think it's simply a sign of the times. We've been in a economic downturn for a while and it finally started to catch up here at TGP. Disposable income is down and people buy less things that they don't really need.

Now, if you want to trade pedals TGP is the place for sure.

17. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Supporting Member

I have found my recent attempts to sell high-priced guitars here often are oohhed and ahhed, but no one has the serious money to buy. I chalk it up the decreasing amount of discretionary income; however they do go on Ebay, but between the Ebay fees and Paypal fees, you can take a beating.

18. Kilroy

Kilroy Member

November, December and January are always slow on these boards. November and December people are saving for Christmas, and in many cases, selling stuff to raise money, and nobody is buying. In January everybody is paying off Christmas bills, so no money for pedals!

19. utterhack

utterhack Member

Then in March/April it's taxes, and then it's summer...

20. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Its on HC right now. I don't have enough posts to access the emporium right now. I can send ya some pics if you like!

Rob