The eBay, Reverb and online tax thing is becoming a real drag...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Miroslav L, Jul 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Yeah...I get, if you shopped at brick-n-mortar stores, you would have been paying taxing all these years that you didn't pay for most online shopping...so things are now just catching up to how that should(?) have been online too from the start...BUT...it was so good all these years not to pay it, and when you add up all the stuff you bought, plus often with free shipping, you saved a LOT money.

Now suddenly every purchase feels like it's costing you a whole lot more...and for anyone that buys regularly online, the new tax collection thing has quickly added up to quite a lot more money out of your pocket than you were use to spending before.

I know there's still some online places where you can avoid the tax...but not many left, especially if you live in the real tax-hungry states in the USA. They are determined to squeeze out every penny from your pocket. :mad:

I just bought a Shure SM7B on eBay....brand new, selling fro $339!
    Great deal...!...ahh, but not so fast...:confused:...eBay just added about $28 tax collection...:eek:
    ...no longer a great deal. :(
    Well, still not a bad total price...but after the last couple of months of some bigger ticket purchases...I've spent a few hundred just on the damn internet tax$...%#! o_O

2. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

You should have been paying taxes on all those internet purchases in the past too. They weren't tax free. I was your responsibility to send in the tax instead of the retailer doing it for you like it is now. Instead of complaining, you should be grateful for all those past purchases that were "tax free".

data_null, Gig Young, mvsr990 and 8 others like this.
  3. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

The major reason that my computer business went under was the no-tax internet. Guys would shop my store all day to check out stuff and then save 11% buying parts from the net. They got all the service for free and went with the cheapest price.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Funny how the solution to level the business retail environment was to add taxes to the Internet not take them off the brick and mortar stores...

The Internet will still win over brick and mortar because buyers really like shopping in their bathrobe and fuzzy bunny slippers plus having presents dropped off right at their door.

Gig Young and Miroslav L like this.
  5. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

[​IMG]

somecafone likes this.
  6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Maybe retail will make a comeback and people will start supporting local businesses.

Trandy likes this.
  7. somecafone

somecafone Member

I don’t think the goal was to level the environment, per se.
    I still have to order the picks I use online, as no one stocks them. Sales tax added to Amazon or Reverb purchases hasn’t changed that.

As @Travst said,
    I know of a very cool guitar shop, I was a customer for years, and the owner told me he was nickel and dimed to death by internet users/tire kickers.
    It was a shop in Berkeley, CA called Blue Note. A lot of arch tops (both mass-produced and luthier-built), electrics, acoustics, amps, new and used, lessons, and even some luthier-work.

Wow.
    When I enumerate all they offered, it really brings into sharp relief all that was lost when they closed.

Travst, Angeln and Badtone like this.
  8. clarkram

clarkram Member

Without sales taxes most state governments couldn’t provide services.
    Do you like driving on paved roads?
    Did you or your kids go to public school?

These things cost money and that’s why taxes were not removed from brick and mortar.

Angeln, Vintage_, DeSolo and 4 others like this.
  9. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Think of how much more money you could have saved if you didn't buy all that stuff, most if not all of it you didn't need, simply because it was cheap and had no sales tax attached to it.

Crowder likes this.
  10. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I wear a black t shirt, tan cargo shorts, and flip flops when picking up my door dropped presents.

Stylin’.

Gig Young and Miroslav L like this.
  11. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Yes, obeying the law is a burdensome task. :rolleyes:

Gig Young, Trandy, Badtone and 2 others like this.
  12. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

It's almost like those roads and schools pay for themselves.

Okra, clarkram and Badtone like this.
  13. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Or they could cut back and trim government. Haha haha.

14. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Silver Supporting Member

Think how bad it would be if our entire tax system went on the honor system. This is a perfect example.

They aren’t adding taxes to Internet sales to “Level the playing field.” It was already level.

They are forcing the businesses that sell online to COLLECT the tax because we Americans that are left to our own honesty to pay the tax that we owed, did not do it.

We point fingers at others like the filthy dirty aweful rich people not paying their fair share. But when left to our own devices we don’t pay our fair share either.

Taxes are just a part of living in America. There is no free ride.

15. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

That is an interesting thought ... Not to challenge that we should obey the law, but rather to maybe acknowledge that some laws maybe should be challenged and reversed. After all, not all that long ago it was the law that black folks could not eat at the same places as white folks, and women couldn't vote. Those laws were not so burdensome for some who were inclined to uphold them, and if they were left unchallenged they would continue a cycle of injustice that was a blight on everything the USA at least purported to be founded on. When it comes to states gathering taxes from their constituents, there is ample evidence that not all of that money is going to the conceptual areas that the constituents are told they are. I think that there are several ways to go about cleaning this up, but pertaining to this discussion of internet sales tax I think there should be a re-thinking by the constituents of what is needed and what is not. Certainly anything that is being bought new and not previously owned should be treated equally regardless of where or what avenue it was bought. Used items are a bit more nuanced, and sales "below a capital valuation" between two people, doing business as private citizens, should not necessarily be treated in the same manner. There is already a precedent for this concept in the "garage sale exemption", which puts a series of conditions around these tax-free sales.

I'll leave the "how to clean up where the taxes go" to a separate discussion, in a separate medium ;)

Miroslav L and Yam the BOMB like this.
  16. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

These days everyone wants representation without taxation

Yam the BOMB and Crowder like this.
  17. clarkram

clarkram Member

great idea, eliminate 50% of your revenue stream and make up the difference by trimming and being more efficient.
    This can very easily go political, so all I will say is try and actually learn something about how government operates and the costs that go with it.

18. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

The problem now is that I can never find what I need locally, neither big box stores or mom 'n pop seem to stock anything but low end stuff.

MrSteve and MikeVB like this.
  19. Gretsch>Vox

Gretsch>Vox Member

People really should learn how government operates before telling others to

Gig Young and voodoosound like this.
  20. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I'd have no problem with sales taxes if they weren't charged on used items. There is no reason items should be taxed every time they change hands.

I know they'll close this loophole eventually, but AZ doesn't have sales tax for private party vehicle sales. Obviously, there's no way to buy a new car private party, but for used cars that loophole puts dealers at a huge disadvantage. Buying my last bike from a private party saved me about $1000 in taxes and fees a dealer would have charged for the same used bike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.