The Edge 2017 JT Rig: what we know so far

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by DieHon, May 14, 2017.

1. DieHon

DieHon Member

The man responsible for me getting into guitar and rack stuff is back. However, this time we don't have any info about his rig. Not a single CAE facebook pic. I'll try to get together all info we have by now in this thread.

The most notable thing about his gear in this tour is that the rack isn't visible, just like the previous one. For someone like me that grown seeing the big refrigerator behing him, that's quite a thing. I really miss that.

[​IMG]

The first thing to notice is that the amps doesn't seem to be mic'ed at all:

[​IMG]

This leeds me to think that he is going with the Axe FX rack just like the previous tour. Even the controller is the same. The first pic is from the previous tour and the second is from the actual one:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think he may have changed something in the rack because he never used the same rig for two tours. But overall the structure may be the same, just like Elevation and Vertigo tours.

Now the strange part: for the previous tour, when he went with the Axe for the first time we thought that the KSC speaker near his amps was a kind of stage FRFR return for the Axe:

[​IMG]

However, this time there is nothing like it:

[​IMG]

So this is it. The Edge ditched the rack from the stage and it seems that this is the way Rock is played nowadays. I'm glad the amps stayed. That would be to much for me. Maybe on the next tour he will ditch his 24 guitars per night and go with a single variax :rotflmao

Bonus: the 74 LP custom (or its replica) is back again (that's my dream guitar):

[​IMG]

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  2. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Going to see them in June, can't wait!

3. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

4. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

5. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

That's as bare bones as you can get , 100% live, no loops, keyboards etc. Awesome. With a "little" background vocal help at the end.
    Just speculating, but that might be how they do it on this tour, keeping it colser to the original tour. :)

6. Ian

Ian Member

It's weird but this is one guy who's system has never interested me for some reason.

There are so many potential sounds in that massive setup, but he seems yo do very little with it.

I'm sure he could pull off that gig with significantly less gear and complexity.

7. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

Surely you are kidding.....

U2 is a band that has reinvented their sound over and over through the years. .

Not too many bands have been around over 40 years and still selling out concerts in big venues.

stilwel, suckamc and chillybilly like this.
  8. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Ian

you are SO right....

Rod likes this.
  9. Ian

Ian Member

I think we are talking about completely different things! :)

Yoy are talking about the "status" the band has achieved......I'm talking about one guy's gear setup, regardless of his "status".

The longevity of a band is largely defined by the quality of its songs, in the eyes of the public......along with the marketing machine behind it. It's never about something as esoteric as one guys guitar tone. LOL!

Fact of the matter is that his setup is massive, yet there is really very little difference in his tones and playing from record to record......and truth be told, the delayed ambient guitar wash stuff he is known for, is really more of a product of Daniel Lanois than Edge personally.......just sayin'.....

All I am saying is that he could accomplish what he does with far far less gear and intricacy.....

Cheers
    Ian

10. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever. Can anybody spot the gear in the rack from Kimmel?

11. Sunnyevan

Sunnyevan Member

My brother went to the kimmel show and actually talked to Dallas. He had three Axe Fx's in the rig (one appeared to be off), a Handwired white AC30 behind the rack, and his custom Edge 5e3 out in front. He got the Korg SDD pedal in a custom rack unit atop the axe-fxs. Also 1 dm4 rackmount unit. The rackmount was visible for all of Still haven't found. Then they went on to do Little Things that Give You Away. Dallas got a black blanket to cover the rackmount for visual purposes since they wanted the setting to be darker for the new song. The pedalboard was the usual mini rig pedalboard he's been using the last few years. Three mission expressions, smaller Bradshaw footswitch, and a boss fv500. Pink Music Rising Les Paul (used on NYD) was used for the new song.

We also went out to the rosebowl concerts. Edge is probably using the unmicd amps as monitors and for feedback for "Bullet The Blue SKy". He has amps under the stage for sure, you can hear them when Dallas sound checks.

teleguy234234 likes this.
  12. teleguy234234

teleguy234234 Member

I watched the Kimmel performance and looking through this thread...can you or anyone clarify... is he using the Axe FX as an EFFECTS unit or is he using AMP sims as well? Wouldn't surprise me if he is using amp sims I mean he is the EDGE. One of the only guitarists who tours with such a massive setup like this.

13. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

I was under the belief that he never used the amp sims on the Axe-FX - Just the effects only, but I have no current info to support this.

14. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Thanks for all the info!

I love that the Edge tours with so much gear and has a complicated rig. Why shouldn't he? It's not like it's breaking down and ruining shows. He dials up some awesome tones.

He has the resources to bring along whatever makes him happy. More power to him! Live the dream.

P.S. I also like his playing.

eigentone likes this.
  15. Sunnyevan

Sunnyevan Member

It's hard to say. But because you can hear the amps under the stage during sound check, I would say real amps. He's downsized his effects units a lot, I would say its a safe bet to say he uses the Axe-Fx for effects. But if he is using amp sims on the Axe, I would say probably not.

16. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Member

Damn... That was sweet! Made my night!

17. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I agree, I've never understood that either.

18. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

Huge rack to be able to reproduce sounds that are essential to songs, is criticized. Huge racks just to get SCHMO?
    They rawk!!!!

I was waiting for "that is not a real rack" comments. The herecy of using "convenience boxes".

19. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

A bit offtopic but toasterdude doesn't understand things sometimes, or likes to bend words to his convenience.
    Since I am the person who has defined a bunch of pedals put in a rack enclosure... "that is not a real rack"... I stand by that comment and by a definition of a rack as a system made of line levels fx processors, managed thru line mixers, line splitters, sometimes routers, including a switching system for audio sources (amps fx loop sends/preamps/heads/load units) where a signal is not simply routed as a series of devices but as a more advanced and refined way to create sounds that cannot be achieved with the typical pedals style of routing signals (A>B>C>D>E>F> etc...). A groups of pedals running in series and put into a rack drawer is NOT a rack system. Just a way to house gear in a type of enclosure. In fact you won't ever have effects like The Edge or the "Schmo" guys, or Allan Holdsworth, just to name 3 very different examples, if you had a bunch of pedals used in series thrown in a rack enclosure. The CORE concepts of a rack system, as any careful observer of 40 yrs history for this technology surely has already realized, are:
    -the use of line levels signals for their much better S/N ratio, dynamics, ability to better stand multi-processing stages
    -the use of line levels signals management devices like audio switchers, mixers, splitters, routers
    -the wider possibilities created by such units in creating *routings* of effects, where split/series/parallel lines are used to create effects not possible in typical pedal serial sequence or in a single device. More recent units with huge processing powers can achieve similar tasks internally, but it's a limited amount of products and quite expensive, even though often inserted in a rack system.

Pedals are often *added* to a rack system, before amps, running at instrument levels and managed by switchers. More recently a minority of pedal users have realized how MUCH MORE ADVANCED is the rack system, in terms of signals and fx routings aimed at creating effects not possible with the typical pedals sequence. These folks are approaching pedals effects pretty much like rack users have been doing for the last 4 decades, by using programmable routers (the SwitchBlade 8F or other similar but less powerful units) to get those effects otherwise impossible to make in a serial routing only. Finally some folks are getting the concept of audio routing as created in studios and carried to the masses by musicians rack systems.
    So... it's not about the music style, the used technologies, or the generational gaps. It's about *understanding* how a SOUND is created... thus WHAT is needed to get it and HOW audio signals need to be placed and routed for the task. THAT is the point. Many don't see it, others do... and many younger ones are starting to get the picture.

looper309 and AnalogKid85 like this.
  20. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

We saw the Houston show. At least one of the amps onstage was on for feedback purposes and there was a plexi baffle to the left of his amps. But not mic'ed. He was wired into the main stage pdeal board when the band was on that stage and wireless when they were on the satellite stage.

Great show, very lean and mean. Joshua Tree stuff was interesting to hear kinda stripped down.

FigMusic likes this.