The Edge soundcheck (deleted scene from Might Get Loud)

This is pretty fun. Its probably been posted before, but...oh well.

And, yes, there are those who don't care for this guy. By all means, please feel free to start your own thread.

Gigbag

That first test sounded like a mess, but he liked it. That is an incredible amount of delay(s) and effects on at once. The later tests all sounded great, and show how he really uses the delay like an instrument. He doesn't just hammer out one thing that is repeated, but he adds variety and makes it work well.

Chuckracer

Silver Supporting Member
The hardest thing in the world for most guitar players to do is NOT play...and that's his greatest attribute. Color me impressed.

tnvol

Ufologist
Edge won't be onstage cutting heads with anyone, but he does what he does well and he has been the guitar player in the biggest band in the world for the last 30 years. He is doing something right and he has my respect.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I haven't really followed U2 much after about the "Rattle and Hum", but you can't deny he really invented his own sound and has kept it fresh for a long time. I remember being knocked out by them in high school when "Sunday Bloody Sunday" hit.

gtone

One of the marks of a great guitar player in my book is a signature "sound". Edge has one of the most unique and easily identifiable of those in modern music. I recall in the early to mid 80's an explosion of ads in trade pubs and music shops seeking guitarists with "the U2 sound" - phenomenal!

Much respect here for the man...

marktweedy

In Transit®
Silver Supporting Member
Very cool. Thanks for posting that.

I am not sure Page's Pete Cornish board shown in the background in this clip was ever seen in the film itself.

I love his playing...
He can do the standard blues rock solo if he wants, he does it live on until the end of the world with only OD and slapback...but he chooses for the most part not to

One of my favorite players...and he keeps doing it decade after decade...

Holliman

Triad Abuser
I enjoyed it and all. I definitely am a fan of The Edge, but...with all the new floorboard delays and seemingly EVERYONE in church music going after his style, I didn't see him demonstrate anything in that clip that made me think WOW. I guess props to all the YouTubers out there for getting it done. He is the author though.

Trending Topics