The effect (if any,) of using overrated coupling caps.

HandOfTheHost

I've heard that it's okay to use correct value capacitors that have a voltage rating greater than called for. Tonally speaking are there any drawbacks to doing so? I don't think there should be, but I'm not sure. Thanks.

WaltC

Most of the coupling caps I've seen (and used) over the years (e.g. Mallorys, OD Spragues, other Spragues, etc.) have been rated for 600 volts and are used from the preamp section (200 volts or so most times) to the PI and finals (400+ volts) with good success. I've even used some Sprague ODs rated at 1000V without noticing a difference more than the difference you hear between *any* two supposedly equal caps.

Beyond that I don't have any experience or opinion <G>.

HandOfTheHost

I want to hear for myself the difference between the stock, doo-doo brown caps in my Bassman and replacements, so I've ordered some Russian paper-in-oil. There were 630 volt ones and 1000 volt ones. I ended up getting the 630v's as they are closer to spec.

HandOfTheHost

I hate to be a realist, but the only thing you will notice is they are larger and more expensive. :)

Fair enough, but you won't use just any cheap, generic capacitors in your amps do you? Very nice looking amps btw. As I understand it, everything makes a difference in varying degrees, so I'm trying it.

You are right! There is a difference in tone between different TYPES of caps, but in the voltage rating of the same caps, you will not find a tonal difference.

Fair enough, but you won't use just any cheap, generic capacitors in your amps do you? Very nice looking amps btw. As I understand it, everything makes a difference in varying degrees, so I'm trying it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom