The effects for Rhodes piano thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by carltonh, Jun 10, 2006.

1. carltonh

carltonh Member

I've been interested in getting a Rhodes piano, which can be run through guitar effects and amps, and uses passive electromagnetic pickups just like a guitar.

Anyone have experience with these? Phasers and Chorus pedals are commonly used, but I was also wondering what overdrive would sound good with one. It has a larger range than a guitar, so the overdrive would have to work at pitches above and below what would generally be expected from a guitar overdrive.

2. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

I play in a band where the keyboard guy uses mainly a vintage Rhodes, and while he generally doesn't use an overdrive, I'm pretty sure he has used a Rat in the past... He DOES use a tremolo most of the time, and I have to tell you, it sounds fantastic!

3. drolling

drolling Member

Once you do get tht Rhodes, whatever you do, don't plug it in to your favorite amp, as its output and dynamic range could blow out your speaker in no time flat.

Between the hot pickups and the extended frequencies of the keyboard, I'd recommend a bass amp or one of those solid state steel guitar amps over any regular guitar amp you might already have.

Before he went digital, my little brother used to have a few old Boss/Roland pedals (modulation & distortion - no fuzz!) that he hooked up between his Rhodes or Clavinet and an Ampeg V4 bass head/2 cabs. Sounded awesome, but took 2 guys and a truck to move!

4. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

hmm... I own a rhodes and use it with my vibrolux silverface reverb or a blackface princeton all the time - never had any problems. also a friend of mine and keyboarder plays all of his keyboards live through a silverface bassman - LOUD ... no problems either...:confused:

anyways...for effects - try every box you use for guitar fx.
    My Barber DD does a good distorted rhodes sound ... my moog ringmod
    is very good for tremolo, although i prefer the trem for the fender amps, hard to beat!

Another thing that works really well are phasers - the mutron bi phase in particular! While its quite unspectecular used with guitars, the biphase paired with a rhodes = :drool

you do the listening... http://www.tasteundtechnik.de/mp3/biphase1.mp3
    http://www.tasteundtechnik.de/mp3/biphase3.mp3

also with effects and rhodes sound in general , as far as I've noticed there are two types of sound preferences - the "oldskool" seventies vibe (early headhunters), a rather warm sound and on the other hand there is the 80's bell like rhodes fetish ,which i don't quite get. But then again, if I had heard a wurly before buying the rhodes, I would have taken the wurly so...

5. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet

A classic would be the Mu-Tron Bi-Phase (Joe Zawinul (Weather Report).
    My wife uses everything with hers, echoplexes, chorus, wah, bi-phase etc..

6. carltonh

carltonh Member

I don't think there would be any danger running a Rhodes through my Pritchard. Any opinions on the best way to find one near Dallas? I've been watching Ebay awhile and no luck unless I want to pay a bunch extra for freight or risk certain destruction with UPS or FedEx.

But I definitely would have to use an overdrive. I don't even really like their straight clean sound. I saw one used at a Johnny Society concert 3 years ago run through a Vibrolux, I think and it was the best keyboard sound I've ever heard.

My kids dumped milk on my digital QS8 keyboard, and now I need something else to start teaching them piano. :(

7. kram21

kram21 Member

many of today's keyboards have very nice electric piano sounds that rplicate the Rhodes and wurlitzer sounds quite well.My ensoniq ks32 has very realistic sounds as does the Kurzweil micro piano box which i midi into the KS32.Thus other keyboards will get you that sound.

8. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I have a Rhodes Stage 73, and yeah it takes to effects as well as an electric guitar. The phaser is a must - it's just such a classic sound ("I'm Not In Love", "Just The Way You Are", lots of Steely Dan tunes, etc). Chorus is nice sometimes. A long delay can give you a nice spaced out atmospheric vibe. I've found that overdrive on the Rhodes is okay, but it really likes a nice fuzz.

As far as plugging in, I currently have the Rhodes Satellite Speaker system. The pickups on the Rhodes are passive, so there's no reason it should blow your amp up. The signal may even be kind of weak. But if you have a Rhodes with a built-in preamp, THAT might be a problem running direct to a guitar amp.

9. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I tried for YEARS, I'm talking YEARS... to tweak sampled electric piano sounds trying get as close as possible to the real deal. Because they're electro-mechanical instruments, there are all these nuances of tones that are missing in the samples. The Rhodes and Wurli respond very distinctly to the players technique, velocity and dynamics. I finally got fed up and just went and got a Rhodes AND a Wurlitzer. Of course, I wouldn't want to go gigging with them (I'm more of a guitarist anyway). But they sure feel nice to play.

10. carltonh

carltonh Member

So what type of fuzz is good with a Rhodes? The only one I have is a Throbak ODB, which is a Colorsound Overdriver circuit with extra switchable features.

I was also thinking the Gig-FX chopper or the Pigtronix Envelope Phaser might go well with the Rhodes.

11. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

...try telling that to our keyboard player, who won't play anything else besides the real thing, thus we have to carry a Rhodes, a Wurly, a customized Leslie, a Motion Sound horn enclosure, an amp for the Rhodes, an electric organ (soon to be replaecd with a customized Hammond)... Phew!

12. analogjunkie

analogjunkie Member

:crazyguy :rotflmao :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :NUTS :NUTS

13. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet

had to do the same thing myself, well worth the effort, for us and them..

14. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

I have not tried the Overdrive Boost with a Rhodes but I have been meaning to give it a try. I suspect that it may work very well in this application because of the pregain feature and the extended frequency range of the tone controls. I suspect any problem a Rhodes might have with a stomp box would be due to an impedance mismatch. The pre gain trim pot on the Overdrive Boost could be adjusted to find the sweet spot. The only question would then be if is has enough fuzz for the job. I think it may work well, but again have not tried it.

15. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Yeah, I know, besides, his gear LOOKS a whole lot cooler than some finicky plastic thingies that glow in the dark... But it still bugs the hell out of me every time we have to load our gear for a gig! Now to have our own roadies for that, hmmm... Maybe we'll have to sell a couple of more records?!

16. Antero

Antero Member

I saw a (great!) band called The Double once. Their keyboardist had either a Rhodes or a Wurlitzer (I forget) running into a Fender 4x10 tube amp (of more recent make)... in between, he had a EHX Big Muff, Graphic Fuzz, and Frequency Modulator. Insaaaane sounds.

17. LL1

LL1 Supporting Member

I use a EH Wiggler and a Green Rhino or a tubescreamer for OD and both work great for getting classic rhodes effects. Almost need a OD on all the time when the Wiggler is on due to volume loss. Sounds like your playing thru a sweet Fender amp with trem. Grit and modulation to me are key factors with the Rhodes.

I have also found that a wah, phasor and fuzz factory work great with the Clav, as it is even more like a guitar.

18. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

you need to check out soulive, one of my favorite bands. Their keyboardplayer covers the complete bass with his left hand and on top of his B3 he has a clav - which he uses just like a guitar, distorted feedback, wah and all that... :BluesBros

19. covert

covert Member

Envelope followers are often great on keys. Delays can be used to bend notes.

20. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

this is my suitcase 88 they sound awesome with a memory man!!!
    i've got decent results using a ts9 for a little distortion

good luck, if you can get one with the built in stereo trem, it sounds great!
    [​IMG]

oh, i also use to use a moog ring modulator, it sounded like pac-man, sweet.