The EJ Rosewood - definitely an improvement of sorts

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 1973Marshall, Feb 14, 2009.

1. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Just tried the Eric Johnson Rosewood Strat. It feels smoother, not as sticky, and plays more buttery. The edges are really sweet on the neck thanks to the binding, which is perfectly done and non-obtrusive.

Has a sweet sound, and better "feel' for those that had complains with the maples. It does still hint of the plingy-ness, but even that is lessened a lot. I kinda think I would put Duncan SSL1s or Fender Fat 50s in if I had one.

I wasn't thrilled with the 2 color choices - that baby powder-y blue and the gold kinda color.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. Phil M

Phil M Member

I posted about this yesterday, too. I really dug this guitar and thought it was great player right out of the box. The tropical turqoise finish wasn't too bad either, but not having it in candy apple red is a shame.

As for the pickups, I was OK with the neck but I think all Strat bridge pickups need something beefier.

Both EJs are worth owning. Watch the used markets over the coming months. Pow!

3. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

How are the pups different again?

4. Bluestar

Bluestar Gold Supporting Member

I know some have complained about EJ neck stickiness, but that was just never an issue with my 2005 EJ.

Re the pickups - the spec blurbs on the Fender website today are not of much help - for the (1) Maple neck model: "3 Special Design Eric Johnson Pickups with Countersunk Mounting Screws (Neck/Middle/Bridge);" and for (2) the Rosewood neck model: "3 Specially Voiced Eric Johnson Single-Coil Pickups with Countersunk Mounting Screws (Neck/Middle/Bridge)."

But this is from the spec sheet that came with my EJ: "The pickups are three special design Custom Shop Eric Johnson models, which consist of a ’54 style model with oversized Alnico 3 magnets in the neck position, a ’63 style model with Alnico 3 magnets in the middle position (which is reverse-wound for hum cancellation in the two and four positions on the five-way pickup selector switch), and an Alnico 5 model in the bridge position which is slightly over-wound to provide hotter output without sacrificing top end response."

I'll assume a spec sheet came with a Rosewood neck EJ, and perhaps someone who owns one could post that info.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  5. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

Ditto on that... and I'm still waiting for it to gunk up.

6. Phil M

Phil M Member

I've had that turqoise one on the brain since Sat. Can't stop thinking about it...

7. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

They were a big blip on the in coming radar, but after seeing them and hearing HIS remarks at this years Namn, although a bit humorious, I think fendre, "missed it by that much".

8. bullet69

bullet69 Member

what comments are you referring to

9. Redfish

Redfish Member

Wow, you guys are lucky. Mine felt like a gym floor for a year and I finally gave up on it. I sanded, micro-meshed, naptha'd, you name it. Unplayable.

10. KazJY

KazJY Member

yeah, I was a rosewood guy, but wanted a maple EJ - couldn't get past the gym floor.

I have a RW now, and I have to remind myself that it is a finished neck - no problems with stickiness whatsoever.

I wonder if the necks being made months ago have something to do with this. ? Just a pondering...

11. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

There are so few nitro production strats in the < $2000 market--I still wonder "why?" the decision to throw binding on a perfectly shaped RW strat neck and increase the $ along with it.

IMO, it is looks as wrong as a maple neck Les Paul.

12. Redfish

Redfish Member

I agree. It just looks wierd. We all screamed for a rosewood fretboard on these things and they had to do that to it. I put a Warmoth neck on mine and never looked back.

13. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I don't care for the binding, but I played one at a GC while I was on a business trip this week (goldish color) and I have to say the neck felt sweet... kinda Gibson-y.

14. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

You guys that played the rosewood; was the guitar deeper and fatter sounding than the maple and how was the unplugged resonance compared to the maple? Thanks.