The EJ Strat stiff action and E string too close to the edge of the neck issues

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
The E string can be an issue at times. Especially if your a bender. Stiff though? Not my two! I absolutely live them!

VHS analog

Looks like a new nut is needed. I hate premium guitars that require mods/upgrades right out of the box.

Fusionshred

Silver Supporting Member
Loosen the strings, loosen the four neck attachment screws, and push the neck GENTLY toward the treble side, and then tighten it up. Sometimes this helps. For the stiffness, the EJ bridge is decked and the claw is really tight. Try loosening the claw (you will have to retune up at some point) until the bridge is JUST decked before it starts to float with the strings tuned to pitch. This will loosen up the stiff feel.

Fusionshred

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like a new nut is needed. I hate premium guitars that require mods/upgrades right out of the box.
Hopefully not. I had one that you could almost see the high E if you looked at the neck from the back! But shifting it fixed the problem. Now, mind you, this is because the neck pocket is not cut with the degree of precision that locks the neck in position. . . the sloppiness works to your advantage in this case because there is some play.

Arc Angel

I've owned two maple neck EJ's. Really well built. Light and resonant, but they did play significantly stiffer than my other strats based upon my and other players opinions (including a few guys in my signature). Ultimately, I sold them.

DaveP

Hopefully not. I had one that you could almost see the high E if you looked at the neck from the back! But shifting it fixed the problem. Now, mind you, this is because the neck pocket is not cut with the degree of precision that locks the neck in position. . . the sloppiness works to your advantage in this case because there is some play.
The EJ actually has a great neck fit. On par with must Custom Shop Fenders.
The John Mayer's I have seen have the sloppiest pockets I have ever seen. Maybe just got some bad ones.
You could fit picks in there.

ModdersAnon

For the stiffness, the EJ bridge is decked and the claw is really tight.
Yeah, I think this is where the perceived "stiffness" exists. When you bend the strings, the bridge does not move in the same manner it would if the trem was set up to float.

ieso

I've owned two maple neck EJ's. Really well built. Light and resonant, but they did play significantly stiffer than my other strats based upon my and other players opinions (including a few guys in my signature). Ultimately, I sold them.
Out of curiosity, what kind of strings did you use on your EJ strats?

Major9

Changing the nut may not do much from about the 9th fret up....move the string out of the nut slot to the new expected position and see how the string lies as you go up the fretboard. Sometimes you need to address the bridge saddle as well.

stephax

Quarter Pounder with Cheese = Royal Cheese
The very truth about vintage frets ! Don't know much about this particular EJ stratocaster, but for what it's worth, i tend to pretend I've resolved the high notes access problem with using 07's strings. Works fine !

Amplite

Chances are (isn't that a song??) you don't need a new nut. If you post pictures I'm sure a few of us here can give you a decent evaluation.
What Fusionshred said about shifting the neck a touch - does fix this problem most of the time!

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
07!!!!!???Whoa, I settled my issue with 9's, wouldn't care for it lighter.

stephax

Quarter Pounder with Cheese = Royal Cheese
Since you can get the feeling you like (stiff, loose) with whatever gauge you use, I went with 07 but I'm not sure you'll notice it. Just a matter of setting IMHO.

candid_x

Aren't all vintage spaced bridges set wider at the bridge, bringing strings away from the bridge pickup E poles and closer to the edges at the high frets? Or is the EJ that way from the nut on up?

kiwicanuck

Have to disagree. The sloppiness is what caused the problem, not a feature. There's no reason for such an expensive instrument to be made with tolerances like that. Cost cutting is fine, but don't charge over $2000 USD for it. I'm a big fan of EJ.

kiwicanuck

Am I reading that there are people here loading Strats with 07s? What kind of music makes that the ideal gauge? Can't imagine big full clean tones. High gain?

Trending Topics