• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Electrosocket Jack cup

Loobster

I have a Warmoth Tele build that is coming together nicely. I'd like to install an Electrosocket to the body. The body is routed for a 7/8". Am I right in saying that the Electrosocket doesn't lie flush with the edge of the body when installed, and that it hangs over a bit, or is it meant to fit right in and be flush with the body? In most pics I can find there is a slight 'lip' that still hangs out of the body.

coot tone

Slight lip, greatest invention for the vintage style Tele ever!!!

I put one in my '52 reissue after seeing Bill Kirchen's, now I have one in all of my Teles.

I used to carry a nut driver in my Tele case to keep that damn nut tight. No more. I have no doubt that Leo would have put them in the original Nocasters/Teles/Esquires if they would have been around then.

Travst

I just bought my first two. No more loose Tele jacks for me. One the Tele I'm building, I am considering cutting a small edge rout so the jack will fit flush. I have one of the StewMac binding cutters that should do nicely for that work.

Travst

The lip doesn't bother me, either. But you see, I have this tool... so I MUST use it! ;)

Travst

I come from old-school car culture where guys sit back and count all the subtle mods that another guy has done to his car. It's not always in-your-face stuff that defines custom.

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Warmoth Tele build that is coming together nicely. I'd like to install an Electrosocket to the body. The body is routed for a 7/8". Am I right in saying that the Electrosocket doesn't lie flush with the edge of the body when installed, and that it hangs over a bit, or is it meant to fit right in and be flush with the body? In most pics I can find there is a slight 'lip' that still hangs out of the body.
Warmoth doesn't flatten the body curve at the spot of the jack route for some reason, so you might have to use a sanding block to create a good fit... the rim of the Electro will still sit a bit above the body.

The Electrosocket cup is one of those really great things that make you forget how much of a PIA it was to have to tighten the jack nut all the time.

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
They fit, but just barely. The plug housing usually rubs against the electrosocket just a bit. I have one on my esquire build and the slight lip that sits over the edge is not a big deal at all. If I had built the body from scratch I might have made the jack area flat but the small bit that sticks up higher on each side isn't an issue either.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
the trick is to lose the star washer inside the electrosocket, so that the switchcraft jack gets cranked all the way in. it'll just clear without rubbing.

i only wish they came in shiny chrome or shiny nickel instead of that ugly satin finish.

joeybsyc

i only wish they came in shiny chrome or shiny nickel instead of that ugly satin finish.

+1... why don't they offer chrome anyhow? There's nothing else on a tele that's brushed/satin finish. Great function, but sorta dumb from an aesthetic standpoint.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
well, it's made of aluminum, which is apparently hard (expensive) to plate. (that's why lightweight les paul stop bars are so pricey.)

i guess they could make it out of brass or something, but that would be a little heavy.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom