The Eli Manning Era Comes to an End

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by wrxplayer, Sep 17, 2019.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Giants head coach Pat Shurmur made it official, announcing that first-round rookie quarterback Daniel Jones will make his first career NFL start in Week 3.

Shurmur explained the move in a story posted on the Giants’ web site:

“Eli and I spoke this morning,” Shurmur said. “I told him that we are making a change and going with Daniel as the starter. I also talked to Daniel. Eli was obviously disappointed, as you would expect, but he said he would be what he has always been, a good teammate, and continue to prepare to help this team win games. Daniel understands the challenge at hand, and he will be ready to play on Sunday. ... Ultimately, this is a move that I felt was best for this team at this time,” Shurmur said. “I have said it since I got here, I am very fond of Eli. His work ethic, his preparation, his football intelligence. All those attributes are as good as I have ever seen in a player. And Eli worked as hard as you could ask of anybody to get ready for this season. This move is more about Daniel moving forward than about Eli.”

https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/09/e...-has-giants-qb-switch-been-made-for-good.html

Lifetime Giants fan here and I think the time is right for the change. I'm also a Manning fan. He's pretty boring to watch and listen to but he's had very good success with the Giants and has been a good citizen throughout.

Good luck Daniel Jones!

2. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

Any rumors out there of Eli's retirement?

3. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

A true Pro, but he should have hung 'em up sooner.

He is kind of a polarizing figure, he "aw shucks"'d himself to two SB wins and MVPs, but really never dominated the league. He never got hurt, always played, but at times his lumbering style made it hard to put in new schemes.

The 2 losses this season were not on him, he has no receivers and the Giants seem to gameplan Barkley out of anything productive once they fall behind.

lizardking, SL_22, bsacamano and 2 others like this.
  4. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

The old lion knows when it's time to wander off.
    Eli did a good job over the years but his time has come.

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Member

Bless Eli for those two Super Bowl wins over the Pats.

6. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Don't think so. Don't think there's any reason for him to retire either.

7. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

The defense is horrendous. They have no big time receivers. Barkley is being underused. Eli did not cause these losses but, it is time to move on to a new era.

8. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

i think its time and always be grateful for what he did for us. I will never bad mouth EM

but just like Mickey Callaways 45 whatever blown saves. it isnt his fault., Eli only has what he has to deal with.
    Eli has no pass protection, no one that can catch a ball. Mickey dosent have a ballpen that can give him 3 outs

Big Blue and Gang Green looked totally lost, dazed and confused. I never seen it this bad that i can remember

Better Late, Tag, QRSS and 2 others like this.
  9. Bozak

Bozak Member

It would have been nice if he went out the right way, a couple of seasons ago we celebrated one of the great QB's of all time and shed a tear that he was leaving during his farewell game, maybe get a gimme TD on his last down.

But he chose this route, and while we're all proud of the guy and his accolades we can't help but say sayonara, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Giants play with a mobile QB, I bet they still aren't very good, scoring with Eli really hasn't been the issue.

Mngwa likes this.
  10. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

Those were the days.

Better Late, 84superchamp and Mngwa like this.
  11. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

That defense though, gag!

fretless likes this.
  12. lemonman

lemonman Supporting Member

I would not be surprised to see him traded to a contender, with all the high level QBs that have gone down already.

Tag likes this.
  13. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I really dislike Eli and any other manning. Then I found out we're fraternity brothers lol

84superchamp likes this.
  14. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Seems like it would’ve been the at least the mid-70s when both the Jet and Giants were down. Namath was at the end and the Giants had a collection of guys with low numbers who called themselves quarterbacks until Phil Simms developed.

It’s been a while since both of them stank.

15. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Our office manager went to Ole Miss. Several years ago he took some of the younger guys in the office to a game including tailgating at The Grove.

They said they were all walking down the sidewalk and coming the other way was the hottest woman they'd ever seen walking beside some dude. They all broke their necks turning to see her walk away.

The boss said they didn't even notice that the random dude was Eli Manning.

16. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

They should, he deserves another chance on a better team and the Giants deserve a better QB.

17. Guitarist64

Guitarist64 Member

Mouth breather.

4inchjones likes this.
  18. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

That was my takeaway from the Cowboys game. The defense, especially the secondary, was atrocious.

fretless and EpicEsquire like this.
  19. partytrain

partytrain Supporting Member

Assuming that Eli doesn't have a late career resurgence with another team, I wonder if he's HOF worthy. He's got 2 superbowl victories, and 2 superbowl MVPs, that certainly helps. But other than those 2 great post season runs, he appears to be a pretty average QB. .500 record, 60% completion rate, 84 QB rating. Lots of Giants records, but that seems to be a product of longevity as opposed to anything else. In an era of Payton, Brady, Brees and Rodgers, it seems to me that Eli was at the top of the 2nd tier of QBs in the league

20. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Eli who? Is he still around? ;)

I'll always love him for beating the Patriots but that was a few years back.

I wish him the best of luck going forward. Didn't the Giants just give him a bunch of money, where does that all go?