1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

the Eminence Private Jacks or the Celestion G12M-25's? Which one sounds the best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by regotheamigo, Jul 6, 2006.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I am buying a cab soon, and wanted to get some Greenback speakers to go with some older Greenback Celestion speakers and wanted your take on which one sounds the best of the two. I have a cab loaded with a couple of Eminence Tonespotters and they sound remarkable, so I have been happy with Eminence stuff from experience. On the other hand have heard threw various people that the Celestion stuff has problems with cone cry and may not sound as good?? What's your take on this? What would you go with? Thanks

2. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I was considering either a private jack or a wizard about almost a year ago. Then I heard Jim Seavall's scumback's in a comparison clip test with a few celestions and a private jack. To me the private jack sounded like a mudslide. Like there was a pillow in front of it. If you are looking for the classic pre-rola celestion sound either get the Scums or the celestion heritage line. Just my 2 cents.

3. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Big +2 it's all about the scumbacks.

However OF you're choices, the PJ is the most effiecient, so it may be too loud (for your taste) to go with the less sensitive greens.

But once you sample the scumback Koolaid, it's over.

4. van_wylde

van_wylde Member

I havnt had a chance as yet to play the scumback speakers yet i have played the private jacks a fair bit and i must say they are relatively good speakers. Yet the are not exact replicas of a greenback speaker. they are just modeled after the greenback and share some similar tonal qualities.

I think the celestion speakers ahve really gone down in quality since production shifted to china yet i can really hear any difference in the sound at all between the englich made speakers and the chinese made speakers. But it seems that since production was shifted to china.

5. el34power

el34power Member

I have both....like van_wilde says as far as the PJ goes. As far as China/UK thing. i don't know. Never played a Pre Rola GB, Never played a Scumback either( i don't tink i want to either:drool ). I am sure they are great speakers but i like the G12M china...does the job for me. It's also no secret that the the Scumbacks are Weber speakers with The colonel's secret spices:) so if the budget is limited, i would get a pair of G12M's or a pair of weber Silver Bells. If money is ni object...a pair of Scumbacks or Heritage Cele's.
    The PJ is cool but i use it in a 1x12 cab for use with my JCM800/2203 for rehearsals. I wouldn't be inclined to put them in a 4x12

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Hee hee hee. I've gotta use that line in an ad sometime...Weber speakers with "The Colonel's Secret Spices"...that's pretty good el34power...:D

If you haven't tried a healthy Pre Rola, then you can't understand the draw of a Scumback, so I won't hold that against you....oh...and no scum gets on you if purchase any of my speakers...just great tone.

The Colonel's Secret Spices...maybe I need to make a Colonel Crunch amp now, since the Major Crunch is already been finished...hee hee. Check your email for some info on Scumback users in the Montreal area. Thanks for the laugh!

7. el34power

el34power Member

Oh ****:jo I was in no way being sarcastic, i guess it came out wrong. On the contrary, i am sure they are great. I was just confirming (in a bad way i guess) what you have mentionned before, in the working closely wth Ted in comming up with great speakers. Again, i hope you beleive me when i say i wasn't being a smart ass at all....

Check your email....

8. Scumback Speakers

Nah, no worries, I didn't take offense. I thought your statement was funny. If I had a problem with your statement, I would have just been a complete prick in my reply (which I wasn't being, by the way), or ignored it altogether. I don't pull my punches, so no worries, OK?

Got your email, check yours. Have a good day!

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

That's exactly it. If you try them against new version celestions (the Scummies) you won't get it. Other than it spanks them celestions like a little beyotch and leaves them in the middle of nowhere without cabfare.

But I digress...

if you compare to new celestions, it's not clear of the 'heritage' of the Scummies. Comparing to original PreRola's that are well loved and broken in, it's clear. Sounds ALMOST identical. (to me, sounds better. The old ones can have an element of 'tired' to them)

Nothing's all things to all people, these are all things to ME.

10. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'm probably not going to make any friends here, but I gotta' say it anyways. I plugged into a mint pre-rolla loaded cab and thought it to inarticulate and fuzzy. Definitely it was not worth all the hype you see. My Scumbacks sound better to my ears.

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

If you don't make a new friend because you have an opinion about tone, you don't need that person as a friend.

If you lose a friend because you have an opinion about tone, that friendship wasn't worth keeping.

I've never had the pleasure of trying a Scumback but have heard only high praise for them.

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I've only heard one Scumback to date and I'm no pre-Rola expert but I will say this: the name always makes me think of the description in the drinks section of my local Chinese restaurant's menu of their Suffering Bastard: Bad Name - Tastes Good.

:p

13. Scumback Speakers

OK, that's another one I'm stealing! You guys are freaking great!

Bad Name - Great Tone... and Scumbacks, Webers with Scumbag's Secret Spices... LOL

I need to get a new ad in Vintage Guitar going right now with these new slogans...thanks very much! :)

14. Scumback Speakers

Rich, now you know why I had to cherry pick (along with OCSR and six guitar playing buddies) the best ones out of the 300 I've purchased over six years. After clearing out the OK ones and the good ones to get to the "holy grail" ones, there were only about 40 left.

That's not a knock on Celestion, that's a knock on the sellers who didn't know, lied/purposely misrepresented/etc, or played a 100 watt G12M 4x12 with a 100 watt Plexi putting out 170 watts through the cab and heard the speakers cough, choke & die.

If you ever wonder why you see a quad for sale with matched date code speakers with one or two recones, wonder no longer. The previous owner just cooked them.

By far the worst I'd ever seen was that "MG" place in the UK. They'd taken 1973 G12H's, then removed the original date codes from the frames, inked on "their version of a 1968 date code", and sold an original cab to a member here for $4500.

By the time I'd seen the pics he sent me to authenticate the speakers with, and advised the client (because he was suspicious since his speakers didn't match my Greenback thread) they were fakes, the UK place refunded him almost $1800.

Turns out it was a late 60's cab with 1973 speakers...he then wound up buying some Scumbacks to use with it, even though he already had that cab.

And to this day, I have about 20 old Pre Rola frames with Scumback recones in them...factor in the $200-275 each I paid for them, plus the shipping and recone costs plus that shipping on top of it...and I've got some real pricey Celestion framed Scumbacks...like around $400 each. Again, that's a dig at the seller's on eBay, and online.

Of course, that's why that one genuine 1968 Celestion G12H30 55hz (w/102 014 original cone) on eBay went for $457 for a single speaker a month or so back.

Trust me, there are alot of eBay sellers I'm not friends with, and there are some right here in LA that have judgments against them for the same thing. The vintage speaker market is pretty dicey these days, to say the least.

15. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Mr Southbay Ampworks, does Scumbag make a speaker like a Greenback? And how much are a set of two set at 8ohms? I'm in the Southbay, so maybe I could come pick them up from you. Thanks

16. Scumback Speakers

Mr. Southbay Ampworks? Yikes, let's not be so formal, OK? It's just Jim! LOL

The answer is yes, I do make a tonal recreation of the Pre Rola G12M. It's the M75 model. I have those speakers in stock (four as of last night). They're $149 each while the sale is on (over on the 10th). I could deliver them to MusicWorks, my amp guy's business and meet you there so you wouldn't have to go far.

Shoot me an email if you like, or there's always the phone # in my sig.