The Empress Echosystem is really THAT good

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jschoi, Jun 21, 2018.

1. See3po

See3po Member

Or just a small form factor pedal that would allow me to load a single engine from one of the big boxes would be awesome!

Honch likes this.
  2. Honch

Honch Member

Note, are you sure you don't confuse them with "trails"? "trails" is that the delay is ONLY heard when you press the bypass button. "Overspill" is when the delays of a former preset still lingers, when you choose to advance to next preset. Trails when bypassing is basically a no-brainer, and just require an active buffered bypass. Or an external XY split box. I would love to see a YT video of this. I believe it when I see it.

3. Honch

Honch Member

Another, kind of moot question:

Is it possible to use the dual engine in the following way?

1. Having one delay set to the Ambient (long delay) mode, like 8 seconds for "frippertronics".
    2. The second one set at the Delay+Reverb setting? And let 1 run into 2? Serial I think it is.

4. Honch

Honch Member

It's HALL setting is what it's all about. Beats the Strymons big time.

LordByron likes this.
  5. earwax

earwax Member

Blue LED’s :spit

Jonah66 and Kriig like this.
  6. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

Oh, sorry, I did misunderstand your question. I'm pretty sure the Echosystem doesn't do what you're looking for, unfortunately, but I'm not entirely sure.

Honch likes this.
  7. Honch

Honch Member

While I can understand that this one confused you all, I wonder which kind of reverb they have decided to use from their Reverb pedal whenever you go into the DELAY+REVERB setting of the Echosystem. I e one could turn the delay down and use the reverb only in that algorithm/engine. So I wonder if it's a HALL or PLATE or SPRING or something else. Sorry, my bad, I should've been clearer.

8. Coheed

Coheed Member

Blue setting is HALL and the green setting is PLATE.

LordByron and Honch like this.
  9. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere Member

And it's worth pointing out that blue is the colour of the HALL setting, and the colour of the HALL setting is blue.

From my experience, the blue lights aren't that bad. I have other pedals with obscenely bright LEDs of varying colours, and the Echosystem is significantly gentler on the eyes. Well, my eyes at least - I understand other people's eyesight differs to mine.

LordByron and Honch like this.
  10. Named

Named Supporting Member

Dual engine can be set for series or parallel.

Honch likes this.
  11. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

I've not bonded with mine at all really. I honestly thought I would. I bought it for the supposed superior analog models and tape models, but I don't really think they're any better than my Timeline, DD500, or Nemesis.

Consequently, it's on the chopping block for the Volante.

12. Coheed

Coheed Member

Ya the blue isn’t that bad at all I think because of the size of the actual light.

Honch, thatguyoverthere and Dandolin like this.
  13. Honch

Honch Member

Volante is still out of my interest. Never cared for those totally mimicking something ancient, with noise and all. No matter how good it is. It will sure cater to many vintage punters. I am not just that sure about anything copies anything exactly.

It was the same thing with all the Echoplex EP-3 digital pedals. Catalinbread Belle Epoch, and so on, all the others too. They nailed both the preamp and the tape section and moving heads, and yada yada. Yet I've seen no one being able to nail the "ray-gun" effects of the original EP-3, when you go totally ape with the lever, and self oscillate with frequency cut off. Examples are the Plant & Page "live at the square" in Marocco thing, where Pagey goes bonkers with the original unit in the middle of a solo, and of course, Tommy Bolins playing both with James Gangs (intro to "Standing In The Rain") and Billy Cobhams first solo album "Spectrum" are the yardsticks for the original EP-3 special traits that set the unit apart from others. Still no one, none. After all these years.

Which comes down to this: Whenever a new echo pedal is released, they have included all these "fringe benefits" of new effects, out there psychedelic, with shimmers, choppers, blooms, pitch shifting and whatnot, and think people will use that too. But when coming to the old analog "fringe benefits" of tape delays, as in the original EP-3 unit, with the "Raygun" effects the manufacturers seems to deliberately omit that one, and concentrating on what that unit did on "pedestrian" levels and modes, and not taxing it and using it's effects to the max. Granted, many used the EP-3 as a regular tape delay, just like everyone else, but whenever someone took it further, and used the fringe effects, and psychedelic, it was then and there the unit differed from all others.

14. paulscape

paulscape Member

I was saving to buy this but then a second hand Nemesis came up really cheap so couldn't resist it for the price. If don't bond with the Nemesis I will circle back to the echo station.

mwilson19 likes this.
  15. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

I suggest not doing that. ;)

Honch, Lamby and Coheed like this.
  16. mwilson19

mwilson19 Member

About the same really, and deeper editing with nemesis

17. Coheed

Coheed Member

That’s reason I didn’t like the SA stuff. I hated that I had to get to a computer to get all out of those pedals; just not my cup of.
    I like having knobs there and that’s what I have to work with.
    I’m glad, as a consumer, we have so many great options out there that cater to all types.

Tung-Sol Tube and mwilson19 like this.
  18. Honch

Honch Member

Me Too.
    I am not too sure about this, but reading the manual there's even a setting that mimicks guitar cabs output, and a different buffer settings for those who wants trails and true hardware bypass, and something in between. I am not that sure about the latter part though, but I remember reading the guitar cab output.

The reason for plastic sound and thin direct signal can be the cause of:

1. True hardwire bypass ***
    2. Buffered bypass*
    3. Buffered bypass with isolation transformer on right output
    (Note: when transformer is engaged thepedal assumes stereo
    output operation)

So while 3 is out, it may be the first 2 which may play subtle changes on your clean/bypassed signal. Together with:

Input pad Analog:
    1. No pad (0dB)
    2.-6dB pad*
    3.-12dB pad

Together with:

Cabinet Simulator:
    puts a cabinet simulation
    algorithm on the output,
    useful if you don't have
    an amp:

1. Cab sim is off*
    2. Bright 4x12 cab
    3. Dark vintage cab
    4. Balanced modern cab

Maybe the/any combination of all the above played havoc on your clean signal? I don't know what the default settings are for any of these. But one asterisk denotes "default" as far as I know. Maybe changing to True hardware bypass, and No pad (0) would beef up the dry signal? It's ok anyway, to think that the clean/dry signal is too thin. I think that this one is expected to run in any fx/return loop of any amp and not that much in front. I e the four cable method for effects board.

What I mean is that your Empress pedal may have been "set" to be in the FX/Return loop of the amp, and you should set things differently then. If it's "set" for in front of the amp, it has to have different settings. If you have it in the effects loop and listens to the dry signal only, it may very well turn out too thin and "plastic".

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  19. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I think the SA Nemesis is a good mix of a pretty simple to use pedal with deeper editing for those that are so inclined. I see it as a good balance. The Nemesis is on my list to eventually replace my huge TC flashback X4. My buddy has the nemesis and loves it and I enjoy the tones he gets.

Still enjoying my Echosystem, even though I am still running mostly just single delays.

Honch and Not Orange like this.
  20. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

Nemesis is great. Just to forewarn you there's no looper function.