The Empyrean

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by RickC, Feb 25, 2009.

1. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I was checking out the John Frusciante interview in VG, and he described his new record "The Empyrean" as less song oriented, more jammy. That sounded good to me, so I picked it up.

Yes, it is more jammy than other recordings of his that I've heard, but it's still very much song structured. Anyway, it's a good thing - there's more guitar playing here to dig into. I'd describe it as psychedelic. I'd also describe it as sounding like it could have been made 30 or 40 years ago. I mean both of those things in a good way. There's a sense of looseness and experimentation combined with great songcraft, that I don't hear too much anymore.

It's my favorite solo thing I've heard from him by far.

/rick

2. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

Yep. It's a great album. Lots of trippy stuff in there. Great solos, as well.

JF is great! I can listen to his stuff all day.

3. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

I was raving about it here a month ago when I heard it on his myspace page.
    Got the cd when it came out.
    Awesome album. Very psychedelic.
    Love to hear someone actually play the with the gear and use the studio as an instrument. The solo(s) on "Unreachable" is my favorite.

4. Empty Clank

Empty Clank Member

I also picked this disc up - agree with everyone about the psych factor. Also like his vocals on Song to the Siren.

How are his other solo albums? I am thinking about picking up some more.

5. Solomon

Solomon Member

I like his solo work better than the RHCP's music. I especially like the way he sings.