1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

the endless debate on tonewood and multi grammy winner on TV playing a plastic strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cutaway, Feb 10, 2019.

1. JMC

JMC Member

2. bdonnelly

bdonnelly Supporting Member

That depends on a) which way the lucite resin was poured into the mold and b) the temperature and humidity of the facility when the lucite set. You really need a temperature below 60ºF and a humidity of no more than 30% to get the widest full tone spectrum out of lucite. Especially when the humidity gets too high you start getting some pretty spiky high end overtones in the tone. Of course some guys argue that you want almost tropical temps and humidity to get tones that, while harsh, will cut through a band mix better...

Mark Ray likes this.
  3. JMC

JMC Member

Here's Keef with a Dan Armstrong Plexi:

[​IMG]

morgan918 and sahhas like this.
  4. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

No they do (lucite Strats sound kinda ******) and the one I played was heavy as all hell!!!! That said, without having watched the Grammy's myself (I hate awards shows), you sure what you heard was actually being played live? Those shows rarely have "live" performances, often a backing track with live vocal!

RolandKorg likes this.
  5. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

I don't think pop or what is popular with the majority of people has ever set the bar for what is actually good quality.

I at least don't acknowledge the Grammy or anything associated with it necessarily being a mark of quality, the Grammy show is mainly entertainment for the masses to promote the big music industry and the very top of people affiliated with it.

It is what it is though, probably great entertainment for people who doesn't really understand music and mainly use it for background entertainment, I just personally don't see the big point of it.

And while I can understand why people that expect the Grammy to be a serious music award would get pissed off, it is kind of those people's own fault if they haven't realized yet that it is isn't and therefor shouldn't be surprised when the nominated artists and rewards given out doesn't reflect that.

When that is said guitars with bodies made of acrylics can sound really great, as great as any build with wood can.

That doesn't however in any way prove that the material used for guitar bodies doesn't matter, different wood types included, just that you can have great sounding guitars that are not constructed out of wood too.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  6. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

These TGP awards show threads always remind me that I'm not as jaded and bitter as I like to think I am.

Watching the Today show this morning, they showed a clip of H.E.R. (Gabi Wilson) singing/performing an Alicia Keys song solo on the piano, on the Today show when she was nine years old. She's a real talent, no question.

7. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

100%

8. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Um, her tone isn't exactly anything special! Especially the clean sound (kinda sterile)! She's OK on guitar, better voice IMO!

Honestly lucite guitars that I've played in the past (I've played a handful) really sounded kinda terrible (sterile) and were seriously heavy! But different strokes!

The real test is the clean sound for me! If there is some "depth" to the tone! I know people throw a million words around to describe guitar tone, but if you say "I want a Les Paul" and play 100 of them there will be some stand outs that speak to you! Sometimes that's slightly hotter PU's, sometimes a better setup, a lot of times more resonant tone wood can make a huge difference!

9. erikzen

erikzen Member

I thought the guitar sounded really transparent.

10. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

...Then why aren't we all posting in the fingers forum?

(Stolen from somewhere I cant remember)

11. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

"tone wood" is the 9th most important element of tone. After...

amp
    speaker
    effects
    pickup
    touch
    knobs
    strings
    room ambience

But at least tone wood is still more significant than...

cables
    tan pants
    guitar price
    relics
    guitar face
    skulls-and-barbed-wire motifs

Lloyd_m, stratotastic, lpr9 and 2 others like this.
  12. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

I think it was John 5 that showed off his lucite Telecaster filled with colored liquid. I'm sure it looks amazing on stage, probably worth the 15 pound weight.

13. sahhas

sahhas Member

didn't see this performance or even watch the grammies (and haven't seen them in YEARS!...i think the last time I watched them was '87).
    anyway, the thing i think is funny, is this:
    the endless debate on tonewood and multi grammy winner on TV playing a plastic strat
    the "endless debate" is for those of us on TGP, 99% of the population could care less and probably don't know anyway....
    I always thought this:
    [​IMG]
    sounded awesome, so I don't have a plastic (well carbon graphite) bias...

cutaway likes this.
  14. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

Wouldn’t that be the Clear Sky?

Lloyd_m, cutaway and EricPeterson like this.
  15. morgan918

morgan918 Member

[​IMG]

Johnny Thunders says f*ck off to the tonewoods.

This thread seems to be indicative of the TGP slide into crap.

16. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

I've got nuttin to say about the tonewood/plastic thing, but I really dug what I saw in this vid. It was a cool, soulful tune and I love her voice and style. And she can obviously play some serious guitar.

So this is another new artist (for me) that I need to pay attention to. Thank you, oh TGP Thread!

Lloyd_m, Drew68 and cutaway like this.
  17. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

This is an entertaining thread...

Mass appeal is the furthest thing from a concern for *many* people when they consider what is quality music. That's an age old issue too. OP - before you go too far chastising people on what you find important in music, remember this is *mainly* a guitar forum. So it's axiomatic the focus of many here would be guitar and guitar centric music. Its not a pop music and song writing forum...

18. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more with this--except the chastising part. Not sure where that came from.

19. morgan918

morgan918 Member

If we need a contemporary example: John Dwyer of Thee Oh Sees (who play incredible rock, if you don't know them).
    [​IMG]

Hofnarr, jerrycampbell and cutaway like this.