1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

the endless debate on tonewood and multi grammy winner on TV playing a plastic strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cutaway, Feb 10, 2019.

1. captwillard

captwillard Member

If it’s good enough for Nile, it’s good enough for her.

2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Word is that she really wanted a Strat made out of colored pencils but she couldn't find one ...

morgan918, sahhas and cutaway like this.
  3. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

I've been obsessed with this guy's guitar since I first saw it. Looks cool, sounds great.

morgan918 likes this.
  4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Yup.... they have a cool tone. I had a lucite Dan Armstrong that was killer sounding......

morgan918 likes this.
  5. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Lucite sounds really good.

The downside is the weight, and it can develop fine cracks.

morgan918 and cutaway like this.
  6. Chops

Chops Gold Supporting Member

Wow! Thanks for posting that; one of the greatest bands ever at the height of their powers! The golden age of rock and roll!

Ampedusa likes this.
  7. erikzen

erikzen Member

What about bronze, does bronze have good tone?
    [​IMG]

8. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

However, Tim Pierce playing a guitar made out of a patented combination of particle board and harbor seal feces would sound much better than me playing a guitar made out of old-growth sinker brazilian rosewood etc etc

bobcs71 and Ampedusa like this.
  9. music321

music321 Member

I own a guitar made out of solid granite. It's called a Les Paul.
    :rimshot

jbd3 likes this.
  10. scottlr

scottlr Member

There was a guy on tdrpi that made a Tele using a Formica laminated piece of countertop for the body. It sounded like a Tele, and a decent one at that. :dunno

11. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

Man, this is one of the more contentious and argumentative threads I've seen in awhile.

Only problem is, I'm not sure what exactly is being argued about or what anybody is actually contending......

I have a Dan Armstrong. It's cool. It sounds good. And in an Apocalyptic fight-or-die scenario, would be much more useful than your typical tonewood guitar.

morgan918 likes this.
  12. JonSick

JonSick Member

I don't really care for the arguments. All I know as a player is I don't tend to get on with Mahogany guitars. I've had a few, alder/maple is my bag. Clearer, brighter, more mids. Mahogany tends to feel very dead and uninspiring, despite owning more than a few top-end brands.

FWIW I have three guitars the same, ESP SV Standards with the same pickup set. All three sound a little different despite being the same guitar. I could swear the two black ones sound the most similar with the white one sounding the most different... therefore...

But yes, tonewood matters. No amount of plastic bodied guitars will convince me otherwise.

13. Wick_dawg

Wick_dawg Member

I noticed her guitar also had noiseless pickups in it, which isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea here as well.

14. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I got to play a graphite Strat the other day. It was light and sounded great.

cutaway likes this.
  15. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

For the most part it just seems to be posturing to make sure everyone else knows they don't like awards shows, pop music, or anything that doesn't fit into their ignorant, outdated, myopic worldview. It's essential that appearances are maintained to garner approving nods from other over-the-hill ignoramuses.

Lloyd_m and cutaway like this.
  16. Boonda

Boonda Member

Ugh my GF while watching that ‘I want that guitar!’ I said “ no you don’t it’s lucite and heavy af “ lol

17. JDutch

JDutch Member

Not going to read 7 pages in a thread like this, but hopefully someone has pointed out the obvious possibility that she likes this guitar because of how the plastic components make it sound or because she's more concerned with how the guitar looks on stage at the Grammys than it's tone, not because she's trying to prove that tone woods don't matter and not because it sounds like every other guitar to her.

18. morgan918

morgan918 Member

If you ever get the chance to see them live, do it. They're great live.

19. morgan918

morgan918 Member

Kauer has used formica tops on some of his builds as well.

scottlr likes this.
  20. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

Grammy's care about record sales. Guitarists care about gear. Musicians care about music.

Many times a musician will pick what a guitarists considers a "bad" sounding guitar because it's tone fits the song better than (what a guitarist considers) a "good" sounding guitar would. You just have to ask yourself what's important. Is it image and sales? Is it the quality of the instruments in use? Is it the overall sound of the song? There's no right or wrong answer, just as there's no one answer that applies to every situation.