The Eric Clapton Strat.... WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RJM/rydog2223, Feb 22, 2012.

1. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Just picked up a EC Strat(the production model) "Blackie" in a trade deal. I've never really looked twice at these guitars as the TBX circuit always confused me. It seemed like every time I picked one up at a store the TBX must have always been on and I didn't think that the guitar was to "straty". Well now I have one and for the last couple of days sat down with her and "tamed the beast'.:) Talk about a great sounding, GREAT playing strat!! It's almost like the strat that I've been looking for all these years and she has been right under me nose! If I were to play a gig tomorrow and could only take one of my guitars I would have to say this would be the one. GREAT single coil tones and you can get in bucker territory with the boost. Anyways great guitar that I never paid attention to and glad that I finally did!:aok

2. original07

original07 Member

3. Dashface

Dashface Member

Congrats! Claptons are great - I love mine. Post some pics!

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Been saying it for years.....EC Strats are among the most versatile and toneful guitars out there, once you master the nuances of the boost circuit and tone control. I have a black Todd Krause Masterbuilt Clapton relic that I'll never part with.

The longer you own it, the more you'll appreciate it.

5. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Oh, yeah! Wanted one for years for the V shape, but it took a LONG time to talk myself into the vintage frets.
    HOOOO MAMA! What a damn near perfect Strat!
    Mine's pewter.

6. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I didn't have a Clapton model but I did put some EMG's in a start and replaced one of the tone controls with a mid boost pot. It made it really versatile.
    Enjoy your new friend

7. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I hear ya! Vintage frets and I normally don't get along. But with the 9.5 radius I hardly even notice. I've been here long enough to know I should post pics!!!:jo

Standby.....:)

8. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Here ye be....(pics from the previous owner...thanks:))
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I would LOVE to see that guitar!!!

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Your wish is my command. Emailing you some pics (feel free to post them here should you desire).

11. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Very, very nice!!!

AaeCee's EC Strat....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

13. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

No problem. Thanks for the pics! Wish I was close enough to give ya some joy and strum on her!:)

14. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I wish I could get on with the neck, but it's too slim for me and doesn't taper up enough as it goes toward the body. Otherwise, I'd own one. Congratulations on yours!

15. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

The Clapton Strat is the one guitar that I've played that would make me deal with a battery in my guitar. I really love that model in every configuration I've played it. Very cool stuff. :)

16. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

I've been having a hard time bonding with the vintage frets, and it's made me change my technique a little when I play it... but mine is growing on me. Everything else, the great neck, the very wide range of tones, and the overall great stratty vibe keeps me coming back for more.

I may unblock the trem one of these days and set it up to float... I like to use the trem in my playing, and it's easy to set it up for this.

Congrats on finding the one you like! Have fun getting to know it and play it!

M

17. quadrophenia

quadrophenia Member

Consider me another big fan of the Clapton. It's already been said, but the vintage frets are actually nice with the 9.5 radius and make the hole neck really smooth. I'm also a fan of the V-neck but it probably isn't for everyone. Mine's a Custom Shop LE from 2010 in "EC Grey."

[​IMG]

18. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

^^^^quad that is VERY nice. It looks real classy. You know I have thought about unblocking the trem myself but man the thing really stays in tune right now. Nut sure what to do as I am trem user myself.

19. guitkrazy

guitkrazy Member

Welcome to the Clapton club! I got mine a month ago & it is the best strat I own -7up green I will never part with it! The TBX Midboost takes some getting used too but it is capable to give you soo many possibilities.
    For the Trem Blocking (Unblocking) That was the first thing I did when I got the guitar. I am not dive crazy but I do use it on occassion- I only use it to go down not floating & I am amazed at how it stays in tune. The other night I even dropped the E to D and the other strings stayed in tune!

20. SharkAtl

SharkAtl Member

Love my Custom Shop Clapton Strat. That soft V neck just fits perfectly!!

Enjoy!