The extended milage oil change

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Scrapperz, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Has anyone used Mobil 1 for it's extended mileage oil change. I read the numbers are 15,000 miles between changes. They did a test with a chevy v8 350 and ran it 25,000 miles with good results.

I know someone who did this when it first came out with a new chevy with a v8 350. I'm pretty sure they did the 15,000 mile oil change but for some reason 30,000 mile change sticks to mind, lol. They had good results too. I'm not sure but I would think they changed the filter at least once during that period of time and added oil as needed. Even if I'm wrong about the 30,000 mile change I know it was least 15,000, miles.

So was anyone brave enough to do it? Maybe "brave" isn't the best word, lol.

I never used Mobil 1, all my vehicles were so old I just added oil until I felt good and ready to change it, lol. Worked for me but I knew what I was doing :) and was ready to fix anything that broke myself since I'm experienced.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

I use Mobil1 in all my vehicles, and change it at 7500 miles in the SUV. In the Porsche I tend to change it every 500 miles or so. But I run at 1000-7500 RPM for about an hour at a time on a track.

NeuromancerAI and tenchijin2 like this.
  3. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

25K?????
    id go no where near that. youd have to be nutz imhdo.
    5000-6000 tops for me. I don't care what the owners book or oil companies say

4. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

I've gone 10,000 miles between changes using synthetic, but I'm more comfortable sticking to the recommended 5000-mile interval.

mid-city tim likes this.
  5. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

I do 10K intervals. Seems fine.

Mangy71 likes this.
  6. FFTT

FFTT Member

Depends on how hard you run it, but normally, I changed Mobile 1 every 10-12K or at least once a year.

289K on my Tacoma 4X4, so not bad.

Mobile 1 from the first oil change.

7. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

My mechanic said 7500. I used to do 3500 .

8. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

The annoying thing is when you pay extra for synthetic oil and the oil change place still tries to tell you to come back in 3,000 miles. o_O

9. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Serious question: What does "with good results" mean? No engine failure? Oil not a thick black sludge on the dipstick?

10. NeuromancerAI

NeuromancerAI Member

The problem is the filters don't last as long as the oil.
    Changing your oil and filter at proper intervals is way cheaper than replacing an engine.

11. playsarobin

playsarobin Results. Not excuses.

Engine oil analysis results, I would assume?

I do 10k using Mobil 1 on my tundra. Plenty have done it for years, and the service manual says 10k, as well. I'm 42k miles in and no issues, but intend to get every bit of 150-200k out of this truck before ever thinking about letting it go.

12. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

Modern synth easily makes 7500. 10k probably no problem. My CRV runs on 0w20 and alerts us at 7500 /changed by 9k

Some of those chevys will run for years and years just on junk oil and a prayer so I'd throw that out. My dad's 96 2500 4x4 has nearly 400k miles on it with no major repairs and changes the oil at 15k with Pennzoil ;)

Now... I do change my motorcycle oil at 5k religiously- but that tech is a little bit more antiquated.

13. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Fair point.

Wasn't there a member here that had scads of oil knowledge? @db9091 I think.

14. mid-city tim

mid-city tim Member

I change the oil in my Jeep every 5000 miles or thereabouts with Mobile 1 synthetic. It's a habit I developed when I used to drive a thousand miles a week. Yep, an oil change every month.

My '02 Jeep Liberty made it to almost 300K and I now have an '06 Grand Cherokee at almost 71K and hope to get the same longevity.

Although I don't drive those distances anymore, I'm in the "better safe than sorry mindset."

15. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Read this through or short cut to the end:
    [​IMG]

sausagefingers likes this.
  16. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

I think Mobil 1 even guarantees your engine is safe. I suppose you'll need receipts and a log of the oil changes etc. so if something goes wrong you can make a claim.

17. RJLII

RJLII Member

Our Subaru has a factory 7500 mile interval and my Bimmer has a 10,000 mile interval. With synthetic oil and good filtration you can go a good long time.

18. MrLahey

MrLahey Member

Noone knows whats best for your engine than the highly educated engineers who designed it.
    If the handbook in the dash says a specific interval then follow it.
    Any variance from that i would only suggest if it falls onto severe use categories
    We run about 6000 miles or less a year on our old beaters. We change the oil every spring and fall. Never suffered an engine failure doing such.
    15000.miles between changes alowed by the manufacturer of the vehicle under warranty of thw maker of the vehicle? Most likely not. Yes i said that twice. For a reason. Oils today are way better than yesteryear. I wouldnt want to go 15000 miles between changes without knowing a lot about the condition of the vehicle in question. Even the. I would say follow yoir owners manual advice. No one knows it better than them.

19. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Here is a good study on oil filters, it's the conclusion page, but you can back step for more information.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html

I usually do 7500 in my Acura but I use a Purolator Pure one filter which keeps the oil pretty clean during the long hard road to changesville :idea

20. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

do like my MIL does. don't do anything until the idiot light comes on. she asked me to check her car. no oil on the DS. its came out like molasses and only half full in the bucket. i Asked her when the last time she had it changed, her answer was when was the last time I changed it . that was 47,000 miles and about 5 years. it was last time I touched any car of hers. she's on her own

Jason Calieri likes this.