The Famous Strat Players Tremolo Setup Thread!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jtwang, Feb 21, 2008.

1. jtwang

jtwang Member

Funky topic, huh? :) Please add players and info to the list.

Jimi: Floating, don't know anything about the setup.

SRV: Floating, 4 springs || ||, at least that's what it looks and sounds like in the famous Mocambo video.

Chris Duarte: Floating

Clapton: Blackie blocked with a piece of wood, not sure how the signatures are blocked

Eric Johnson: I read somewhere he had tightened the claw so the bridge is flush on the face of the guitar. # of springs?

John Mayer: Five springs, bridge flush to the face of the guitar (essentially blocked I figure)

Scott Henderson: Uses the tremolo A LOT, don't know anything about the setup though.

Jeff Beck: Same as Scott Henderson

Yngwie: ?

Mark Knopfler?

2. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

I hate to be contrary here, but I don't think either Hendrix or SRV had floating tremolos. As much as they abused those things, I would think that if they had any upward leverage on the tremolo they would have pulled all six strings out by the roots.

Another for the list is David Gilmour. He has the tremolo set flat against the body (no float) with three springs in a / | \ shape.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i dunno, "lenny" by srv damn sure sounds like floating trem to me.

i know jimmy page had that strat he used from presence on set for trem down only. assuming the thin strings he uses, i would expect not too many springs back there.

beck definitely uses his trem floating. (hell, he's built a whole new guitar vocabulary around floating trem usage!)

4. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

The Lenny "replica" from Fender has 5 springs and can only go forward. How correct it is to the original I can only guess. If you want to come down the street and play it, I promise I won't tell anyone.;)

5. jpage

jpage Member

I believe "Lenny" was floating and #1 was flush.

ZuZ likes this.
  6. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I don't doubt the original WAS floating. Just saying both of the "replicas" I have had in the store here both had 5 springs and were set up flush. But if any company is going to get a replica wrong, it would probably be fener.
    Also, there is a great book by Dan Erlewine - How to make your electric guitar play and sound great
    that breaks down alot of famous players set ups and trem set ups.
    SRV#1 5 springs flush
    Jeff Beck 2 springs and floating
    EJ 5 springs and flush...but only vintage springs no american standard or new springs.

7. dhayden7

dhayden7 Member

I have seen in a few pictures that Jimi had his with 5 springs and flush.

8. jony2

jony2 Member

Yngwie probably uses 5 springs and is set floating. I've seen him get some up-pull on a couple of G3 videos.

9. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Generally if the player has removed the back plate and you can see the springs he is playing the guitar with a floating tremolo, 5 springs will hold tuning more when you play is important when playing live. Most players will just add springs up to the max of 5 since they do weaken with age and the tremolo will move.

10. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

jimi - flush 5 sprinigs - not floating

11. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Yeah I agree, but there is an exception or two. Check out Machine Gun from Band of Gypsies you can hear him pull up around 5:10.

12. jtwang

jtwang Member

Good replies.

I always figured Jimi was floating, but tbh, I'm not sure why. I guess I supposed someone doing a lot of crazy whammy stuff pre-Floyd must have set up floating.

As for SRV; I've always read that he set up five springs flush, but I can't recall seeing him playing other setups than what sounded like floating. Lenny, obviously, but also No1, as seen in Third Stone from the Sun in the Mocambo video where four springs || || are clearly visible. Maybe they just popped the middle spring and tuned up for that song.

13. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

"Generally" perhaps, but my '62 VHR is flush w/ 5 springs...