The Fane Speaker Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by solitaire, Jan 24, 2012.

1. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Feel free to discuss and post anything Fane here. This once the largest speaker manufacturer of guitar speakers in Europe seems to have been degraded (on part of their own (bank) account) to some less favourable alternative to Celestion and their clones, and now associated to Hiwatts only. I find that a bit sad since these speakers made a lot of rock, hard rock and metal happen as well as shaping the sound of numerous bands of other styles of music.

Now let's hear some sweet and tight grind from the lot of you!

I'm in no way afiliated with Fane, just a fan, and should the purpose of this thread violate any rule, written or unwritten, the mods are free to take apropriate action.

2. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

I own two newer Fane Alnicos in a 2x12 open back and love them! The are great with almost anything I put them with......

3. Onioner

Onioner Member

I love the Weber Thames fane clone I have. It's my only experience with the like.

4. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm on 3 Fanes now and wishing for more.

2 AXA12s and an older 2001 Axiom 75.

Tight lows, crisp mid detail and all kinds of jangle and chime on the top end.

5. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

What do you like about them?

6. Onioner

Onioner Member

I haven't spent a whole ton of time with it, and really only any appreciable time at all w/ a Blackface style amp, but I remember getting great punchiness, and energy, without being overly articulate. Low end was tight, and present, and the high end was smooth without being dull. Just had a great feeling to it. Felt alive, and maybe a little bit angry.

I'm short on cabs, so it's sitting on a shelf, but I need to get it into something. I have a Voxy style amp here that I'd love to try with it. It's gonna be way overpowered (18W amp vs. 80W speaker...) but I'd like to run it through the paces none the less. May be a nice change from the Blue Dog / Silver Bell I'm working on.

The wattage is too much for me though. I'm never gonna push that. Biggest amp I have is 25W, and that's the Blackface. Still, preliminary findings were very positive, and I definitely need to give it some more time.

7. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

My only experience with Fanes is from Weber too. I've played an Axis 10 in my Vibrolux Reverb and it sounded so gorgeous for really smooth clean tones, and just as good overdriven.

Really tight low end that was more prominent than in other speakers, Warm mids that helped unscoop the typical blackface sound and gave it a much thicker clean tone, and a really smooth high end that still had plenty of clarity and presence.

Just overall made my amp sound much closer to John Mayer's clean tone than any other tweaks I had done, and made the overdrive also sound much thicker and more tweed-like though still definitely blackface.

8. Onioner

Onioner Member

Also, the word "love" in my first post was a bit too strong. I very much like what I've heard so far, and am intrigued to hear more. Gotta spend more than an afternoon with something to love it. Except, well, this is TGP, so an afternoon is enough to say that it's the best speaker ever...

9. Lance

Lance Member

I am hoping someone who reads this thread has tried Fanes in a silver faced twin reverb. I see that the ones that are designed to work in combo amps are rated at 150W. Then, they have the 100W'ers. My twin puts out 100W, so figured the best fit would be 2) 100W'ers. But, if the 150W'ers that are designed for combos work and sound better in a twin, I will most likely buy them. I don't really have the money for two of them right now, or I'd start a new thread. Oh, and tonewise I am going for the Gilmour, the whole Gilmour, and nothing but the Gilmour.

10. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Actually Gilmour is known to use his Crescendos in Twins for smaller gigs, though I believe those are Blackface ones. Not entirely sure on how they differ tonally. Also that Alembic pre-amp is supposed to sound Blackface Twin. It's not stated which type Fane speakers this Silverface Twin is loaded with though, I would guess Axa12s being rather smoky-jazzy sounding

11. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

Probably my favourite speakers, Although I find they tend to blow faster than most. I have a re-coned 80`s prototype in my closet.

12. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

I've only experienced the newer ones and love them. I have a 2x12 cab with a Medusa 100w and 150w and they sound a lot better to me than the vintage purples.

13. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Love the AXA10 and AXA12 - have both and they are keepers.
    Some day will try the the Medusa series.

14. ugameus

ugameus Member

I have an AXA12. It is a really nice speaker. I tend to like speakers with large dustcaps. The Fane is one of the only speakers I like that has a small dustcap. I prefer the cleans to the overdrive, but it is still a righteous speaker. I need to order another one and hear what a 2x12 sounds like.

15. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Are you talking about the Axa12 here or some other type of speaker? I was under the impression Fanes usually held up pretty well in that their fibreglass VCs could take quite a bit of power compared to speakers of lesser resistant VC materials and that they're conservatively rated. Could be that in some eras of lacking QC or of dwindling resources some speakers were made weaker (?)

16. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost Member

I'm thinking of getting four Thames from Weber to run my Sound City B100 through. Would like to hear any feedback with people using these with either a 100w Hiwatt or Sound City at louder volumes. I'm going back and forth between Weber Thames or Scumback M55/M75 mix. Going in a large Marshall 8x10 I converted to a 4x12. Would love any feedback. TIA.

17. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

The new North American FANE distributor is bringing by their new models for me to listen to next week. Actually they're going to leave them here to get FBI'd and then listened to.

(I know people in low places.)

Atmospheric and 71strat like this.
  18. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I've run the alnico 12" 100 watters for years now in pairs at 16 ohms per pair, two eight ohm speakers in series. It's a huge sound for 2 x 12". They mid up a lot when you run them hard, but it's a fantastic pocket for live guitar. They are brighter when run easier for cleans. A hint of chime there, but not anywhere near the Celestion Blues, but you do not have to worry about them power wise and they go deep if you run lows into them. I can't even get them warm. Great speakers. Jim's speakers are great too.

19. KWCabs

KWCabs Member

Fane stuff is fantastic, every model they make. I won't say they are for everyone, but they really offer very complex tone. The AXA 12" Alnico is tied for my favorite speaker of all time. And the Studio is a great alternative (better imo) to the EV route.

Folks who say "too high of wattage" need to realize that you don't have to push a speaker to it's max for it to work correctly and sound great. In fact, most speakers (especially modern speakers) do not tend to sound good at all when pushed towards the max, that breakup that some people really like often turns into strange noises, fizzes, rattles and the like.

They might be a bit pricey but no more than many of the other products on the market and you're getting something that's actually different.

20. FFTT

FFTT Member

I think Fenders and Fanes play very well together.

I can totally see running a pair of 150-C's in a Twin
    or a blend with one AXA12 and a 150-C or Studio 12L.

For amps like the Vibrolux Reverb, the AXA10 is a must try alternative.

Even though they are rated 100 watts, the AXA12 and AXA10
    work very well with lower powered amps in the 20-30 watt ranges.

This is important because some AlNiCos sound very muddy and loose
    unless they are seeing enough power to wake up and sing properly.