The Fender Blonde Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by juxtapolice, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Roark

Roark Supporting Member

I gigged a 6g6B for about ten years, above four is were the fun starts. I also liked to run a reverb unit into the second channel and season to taste with the volume knob, lovely sound.

And they always sit well in the mix.

blackba, juxtapolice, QRSS and 3 others like this.
  2. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    I hated the sound of my '62's 2x12 cab too, but found a reasonable work-around by pulling out all that itchy fiberglass insulation and replacing the speakers (temporarily) with a Celestion CL80 and a V30. It actually worked really well.

3. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    They really do. More midrange punch than just about any other Fender amp I owned, and there've been many.

4. JK1965

JK1965 Member

The Brownface amps definitely work great in a band mix in general. Those mids give them a thickness you can’t get with the later Fenders. I have a Brown Deluxe clone and by itself it’s real middy and thick. I heard it referred to as chewy mids. That about explains it. On stage it just sounds as it should and fills the right frequency space so well. Massive sounding little amp. I’m a huge Brownface fan and can see myself delving into some vintage models.

5. jlinde

jlinde Member

I've got a 62' 6g7a Bandmaster. Quite similar sounding. I believe the tone stack is the same just smaller trannys for earlier breakup. That is one amp that I will never sell.

6. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Supporting Member

That must me it. The quality of the mids that separate it from other fenders. I really want to source one out now !

7. juxtapolice

My favorite fenders are the middy ones, brownface princeton, tweed deluxe, tweed bassman...a blonde would sit nice in that collection

8. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

I'm tempted to try the Ceriatone 6G6-B someday. Seems interesting enough to try a new production model with my own cab of choice.

paulg likes this.
  9. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I had a '64 transitional black cab 6G6-B head for years. I ran it through a '70s Marshall 4x12 mostly. I hated that amp through any cab I tried it with. Super bright and strident with no body is how I would describe it. That was with old USA glass. I don't miss it at all. My '69 Bassman head with the circuit everyone says sucks is a better amp IMO.

Blue Marvel and buddyrama like this.
  10. skoora

skoora Member

I just wish the Ceriatone design looked more traditional Fender. I can't stand the aesthetic of the Fender circuits in a variation of Marshall chassis and headshell.

Bucksears likes this.
  11. juxtapolice

Does Fat Jimmy amps do a bassman? I think I saw one once

12. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

This.
    I would have purchased the kit after reading this thread. Just need the chassis and faceplate - I can source the rest myself.

13. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Mine’s an early ‘63. Agree!

juxtapolice likes this.
  14. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I had an early '64 blonde 6G6-B head and cab. Probably the most regretted amp I have ever sold. I loaded the 2x12" cab with some '72 Greenbacks and it was perfect. It never got played over about 4 or so on the volume, which is right where it started to break up. Hit that setting with a TS9/SD1 and go go go!

juxtapolice, Guitar Dave T and QRSS like this.
  15. aeolian

aeolian Member

Allen makes a version of this called the Hot Blonde. I was looking into these but couldn't find one to try.

juxtapolice likes this.
  16. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I also have the transitional black cab model, your description is the exact opposite of how mine sounds. :dunno

Did you have a good tech thoroughly go over it? I had mine built into a 1x12 combo with a Jensen Neo speaker, it is thick in the mids and punchy as all get out..

Blue Marvel likes this.
  17. Roark

Roark Supporting Member

There was a mod I got from Doug Hoffman's site when he was on the boards, hang a 10k pot off of the bass tone stack resistor (1.6k? iirc) to ground, makes the resistance to ground variable. Acts like a mid-range control and adds a little bit of gain or girth. Easily reversable too.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Guitar Dave T and QRSS like this.
  18. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Anyone tried running both channels on the Blonde bassman?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  19. Roark

Roark Supporting Member

yes, ran jumpered too.

"The 6G6 Bassman amps have 4 gain stages in the Bass channel and two in the Normal....and the channels are in phase since the signal 'flips' 180 degrees in each stage. The levels might be 'unequal' but they are in phase."

blackba likes this.
  20. 83stratman

83stratman Member

If you count haveing a full cap job being thoroughly gone over, then yes.

jamester likes this.