• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Firebird Thread

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone know the whereabouts of the early 60s reverse with the psychedelic flag paintjob Bob Seger played back in the heavy music days?

Baracus

I took a screen shot of this a while back but can't see the members name.

Pretty awesome makeover of a '76 in my opinion. That bridge is pretty cool

whPxkKf.png

Last edited:

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
Gibson's image, but I truly can find no differences with mine, and they take better pics.

2017 Firebird T. It hit all the marks for me; reverse contour headstock, Steinberger tuners, shims for the pickups. For the guys who complain that the pickups are too hot:Lower them. Sounds like my Johnny Winter records, a 64 FB VII, and a Bicentennial friends have.

DSFR17VSCH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

DSFR17VSCH1_NECK_SIDE.jpg

DSFR17VSCH1_ELECTRONICS_GLAM.jpg

I have a Pelham Blue 2017 from the recent AMS fire sale.

My two main gripes is that the tuners have a way of popping off at inopportune while you're tuning and that the pickups are a bit hot.

But you are right.. if you crank them way, way down, they open up really nicely

And it plays and looks killer.

COYS

I would like to have one of the classic two-pickup hardtail ones in sunburst with the mini-humbuckers, but they seem to make so many firebirds in oddball configurations or colors.

Baracus

I would like to have one of the classic two-pickup hardtail ones in sunburst with the mini-humbuckers, but they seem to make so many firebirds in oddball configurations or colors.

The Bicentennial ones fit the bill. Bigger, wider necks, lower output mini hums & hardtail. In either black, natural, sunburst or white.

They really are a hidden gem in my opinion

ronmail65

Gold Supporting Member
I got one in August. Are you certain about the textured paint? I think it's poorly applied paint as only the headstock shows anything and it really looks like orange peel that was covered with nitro.
The rest is smooth.
Great player.
It was a quest item, mini humbuckers. And damn if they don't deliver.

Yeah... not so much textured to the touch, but a textured appearance when you get up close - just as you described, "an orange peel" kind of look. It is definitely unusual. I don't know that it's poorly applied, but I do think that the paint technique would disguise a degree of sloppiness in application.

It's my first Firebird. I find it well balanced, with an agreeable '60's neck profile, and good fret access. It also has great action. I have been messing with pickup height to get the sound more to my liking. I've never experienced the Steinberger tuners - they're working great for me - the design seems precise than typical Klusen style tuners, and the guitar stays in tune very well.

86runner

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah... not so much textured to the touch, but a textured appearance when you get up close - just as you described, "an orange peel" kind of look. It is definitely unusual. I don't know that it's poorly applied, but I do think that the paint technique would disguise a degree of sloppiness in application.

It's my first Firebird. I find it well balanced, with an agreeable '60's neck profile, and good fret access. It also has great action. I have been messing with pickup height to get the sound more to my liking. I've never experienced the Steinberger tuners - they're working great for me - the design seems precise than typical Klusen style tuners, and the guitar stays in tune very well.

My pelham 2017 wasn't grain filled before it was painted. The pelham was sprayed directly to the wood, then cleared over. I love the color, but very much dislike that they sprayed it that way. That one's pictured below and currently for sale. The others are a 77 and 2 Banshees. I have a Banshee baritone in the works with Doug as we speak as well. The sunburst currently has a B5 and the Iris Mist currently doesn't. I love the 77, but honestly, the Banshees are on another level. So much more comfortable and balanced. Dig the birds!

47395470_10156514972910622_8051694100828651520_n.jpg

47391810_10156514974745622_5619235752081620992_n.jpg

47451852_10156514979015622_8270052102173097984_n.jpg

44927117_10156435624825622_7476989053846421504_n.jpg

AngryHatter

^^^That's it. If it wasn't pore filled that explains the "bad paint."
In any case it doesn't concern me in the least.

I find the tuners rather cheap in feel. They are aluminum and "hollow." They are also no where as precise as advertised. But the look is something I couldn't compromise?
(How weird is that?)
I had to had either steinbergers or banjo tuners; regular and the deal was off.

I also find it is more important on how you pull the string through the tuner as you tighten it down. It is critical and can actively interfere with stability or tuning range.

Setup - I got this in August and haven't dialed it in yet. I am close but everything moves. Action and pickup height.

AngryHatter

Oh, and a side benefit - if you can call it that.

The through neck is something that has changed my opinion about construction and tone.
One day on a whim I banged the neck from behind and it chimed. Rather loud and very pronounced.

I grabbed my strat and tried the same thing - mud. No note or tone, just a noise associated with a collision. Bang.

So I got mini humbuckers and a uniquely constructed neck that seems to have some sonic impact.

Roe

I have tried quite a few gibson firebirds over the last two decades. But I ended up buying a Epi Bonamassa I and a 1974 Burny FB120 V with Duncan Antiquities. I play the Epi I a lot, its a great player that is rewarding to play, although the pickup sounds a little too compressed for my taste. The Burny is not a laminate - it has a one piece mahogany neck-though like some of the first firebirds had.

mikebat

Please initiate me. For the Firebird virgin, what would you say is the traditional FB sonic signature? How does it compare to a LP?

What about the construction is great, and not so great?

Flogger59

Please initiate me. For the Firebird virgin, what would you say is the traditional FB sonic signature? How does it compare to a LP?

It's the Gibson that wanted to be a Fender. I gig my FB a lot, the current band does a lot of 60s pop, so a LP sounds too heavy for for that. The FB has a nice chime that sits about halfway between a LP and a Tele. It will always have a sweet rasp on the top end.

Fret access is great, mine is really light, hangs well sitting or standing. At first I was always 2 frets higher than I intended to be, and the pick would always be on the string below the one I wanted. That sorted itself out.

It will definitely feel stiffer than a Les Paul, but the upside is that a slide won't deflect the strings much, and slide plays really clean.

Roe

the neck heaviness is not so great. but many find firebirds to be comfortable guitars (although this may hold esp for taller persons). The sound is thinner and more articulated than most gibsons. The pickups are closer to a staple pickup or even telecaster pickups than most gibson pickups

Trending Topics

Top Bottom