The Firebird Thread

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Baracus, Dec 2, 2018.

1. mikebat

mikebat Member

Please initiate me. For the Firebird virgin, what would you say is the traditional FB sonic signature? How does it compare to a LP?

What about the construction is great, and not so great?

2. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

It's the Gibson that wanted to be a Fender. I gig my FB a lot, the current band does a lot of 60s pop, so a LP sounds too heavy for for that. The FB has a nice chime that sits about halfway between a LP and a Tele. It will always have a sweet rasp on the top end.

Fret access is great, mine is really light, hangs well sitting or standing. At first I was always 2 frets higher than I intended to be, and the pick would always be on the string below the one I wanted. That sorted itself out.

It will definitely feel stiffer than a Les Paul, but the upside is that a slide won't deflect the strings much, and slide plays really clean.

3. Roe

Roe Member

the neck heaviness is not so great. but many find firebirds to be comfortable guitars (although this may hold esp for taller persons). The sound is thinner and more articulated than most gibsons. The pickups are closer to a staple pickup or even telecaster pickups than most gibson pickups

4. mikebat

mikebat Member

@Roe and @Flogger59

Thanks for that.

I can understand better now. I love the density a LP has in the mids, but in a big mix, or if you need definition, I never think it is the right pick, a Tele or P90 is always what I reach for. Scale, or pickups, whatever the case, they just sit better alongside other instruments in my ears.

The FB seems to fall into that category too. If the neck heaviness/balance can be addressed or is not there, a FB could be a cool addition for me. I wouldn't go traditional wood grain/tobacco sunburst though. I have had my years with that...solid colors for me from now on.

Roe and Flogger59 like this.
  5. richey88

richey88 Member

There she is, Thank you!!

6. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Member

Signature sound - right here.

Chimey pickups that can sound like a humbucker or lighter and closer to a single coil.

The through neck is neat. What it actually adds to the sound I can't say but the guitar is loud acoustically.

A negative might be it takes time to learn how to play it while seated. Or a case for it is a small fridge. And the pickup switch is in a weird place.

Seakayak and mikebat like this.
  7. RICFREAK

RICFREAK Member

[​IMG]
    This is heavy and has no suitable floor stand otherwise a beautiful and great sounding guitar.

8. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Member

Even with Classic '57s instead of more typical Firebird pickups I find this to be true. Very happy with my Tikibird!
    [​IMG]

9. Wiretap

Wiretap Member

Not a Gib-daddy but very much a bird in spirit.

[​IMG]

mdubya, Arewenotmen? and AngryHatter like this.
  10. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Been on the look out for the short lived Firebird 7 of a couple of years ago with full sized humbuckers, but have never come across one.

[​IMG]

11. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

My local GC had one of these in a month or two ago. Sold within a day of coming in. I was surprised that the body didn't have grain filler applied before painting with a metallic color.

[​IMG]

12. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Can't find full size pics of my '89 ESP Phoenix, but here's a body shot I found of it on an archive site (it had a pointy non reverse Jackson "lawsuit" headstock on it). Terrible playing, terrible sounding, completely gorgeous guitar

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 1:22 AM
    j.s.tonehound and Roe like this.
  13. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Forgot...Same guy the traded in the copper reverse Firebird two messages above also traded in one of these at the same time:

[​IMG]

14. Baracus

Baracus Member

I'm just going to draw a line in the sand and say that is not a firebird! Ugly step sister maybe

15. =JL=

=JL= Member

That's exactly right. Luckily as you know, the control cavity is already routed for four pots, although you may want to oval out the existing volume pot hole a touch to move it away from the others.

The rest of the job is pretty straightforward, especially as the switch rout and wiring channels are covered by the pickguard.

It makes for a fun, versatile guitar.

Roe likes this.
  16. jota

jota Member

I've thought about doing that to mine but I have no one I can trust to do the job near.

17. Roe

Roe Member

Great idea and good execution! Does the bridge pickup still sound as good as before the mod?

18. jota

jota Member

19. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

My Firebird weighs 8 lb. even with banjo tuners and balances just fine. If you’re concerned about balance I’d avoid the really lightweight ‘birds. The other thing I notice when playing mine is that I tend to “steer” the guitar with my elbow against the lower bout, similar to when I play an Explorer.

20. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

Some real beauts on this thread! I've got a white '09 Firebird V that I love. I must have found a light one, I find it very comfortable and no neck dive issues. The only thing that is a pain is the enormous case but nothing I can do about that.

I've been thinking about swapping the guard for a black one. I've found what I think will be satisfactory pickguard emblem decals. I also found Bicentennial decals, I'm debating on that too. I'm not trying to fake anything and I don't see how it could make anyone think it's a real Bicentennial anyway. I never plan on selling it but I'd put the original back on if I ever do have to sell it. I just really like the emblem and think it'd look really cool on a black pickguard.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 9:36 AM