• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Firebird Thread

mikebat

@Roe and @Flogger59

Thanks for that.

I can understand better now. I love the density a LP has in the mids, but in a big mix, or if you need definition, I never think it is the right pick, a Tele or P90 is always what I reach for. Scale, or pickups, whatever the case, they just sit better alongside other instruments in my ears.

The FB seems to fall into that category too. If the neck heaviness/balance can be addressed or is not there, a FB could be a cool addition for me. I wouldn't go traditional wood grain/tobacco sunburst though. I have had my years with that...solid colors for me from now on.

richey88

Nope, but I help you out.

AIPjFLt_d.jpg

There she is, Thank you!!

AngryHatter

Please initiate me. For the Firebird virgin, what would you say is the traditional FB sonic signature? How does it compare to a LP?

What about the construction is great, and not so great?
Signature sound - right here.

Chimey pickups that can sound like a humbucker or lighter and closer to a single coil.

The through neck is neat. What it actually adds to the sound I can't say but the guitar is loud acoustically.

A negative might be it takes time to learn how to play it while seated. Or a case for it is a small fridge. And the pickup switch is in a weird place.

My local GC had one of these in a month or two ago. Sold within a day of coming in. I was surprised that the body didn't have grain filler applied before painting with a metallic color.

DSNRFF16CVBC1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

=JL=

Looks like an Epi FB I-III conversion. I like this idea and am considering getting a second Bonamassa I to convert it into a III

That's exactly right. Luckily as you know, the control cavity is already routed for four pots, although you may want to oval out the existing volume pot hole a touch to move it away from the others.

The rest of the job is pretty straightforward, especially as the switch rout and wiring channels are covered by the pickguard.

It makes for a fun, versatile guitar.

Reactions: Roe

jota

That's exactly right. Luckily as you know, the control cavity is already routed for four pots, although you may want to oval out the existing volume pot hole a touch to move it away from the others.

The rest of the job is pretty straightforward, especially as the switch rout and wiring channels are covered by the pickguard.

I've thought about doing that to mine but I have no one I can trust to do the job near.

Roe

Great idea and good execution! Does the bridge pickup still sound as good as before the mod?

@Roe and @Flogger59

Thanks for that.

I can understand better now. I love the density a LP has in the mids, but in a big mix, or if you need definition, I never think it is the right pick, a Tele or P90 is always what I reach for. Scale, or pickups, whatever the case, they just sit better alongside other instruments in my ears.

The FB seems to fall into that category too. If the neck heaviness/balance can be addressed or is not there, a FB could be a cool addition for me. I wouldn't go traditional wood grain/tobacco sunburst though. I have had my years with that...solid colors for me from now on.
My Firebird weighs 8 lb. even with banjo tuners and balances just fine. If you’re concerned about balance I’d avoid the really lightweight ‘birds. The other thing I notice when playing mine is that I tend to “steer” the guitar with my elbow against the lower bout, similar to when I play an Explorer.

Motorhed

Some real beauts on this thread! I've got a white '09 Firebird V that I love. I must have found a light one, I find it very comfortable and no neck dive issues. The only thing that is a pain is the enormous case but nothing I can do about that.

I've been thinking about swapping the guard for a black one. I've found what I think will be satisfactory pickguard emblem decals. I also found Bicentennial decals, I'm debating on that too. I'm not trying to fake anything and I don't see how it could make anyone think it's a real Bicentennial anyway. I never plan on selling it but I'd put the original back on if I ever do have to sell it. I just really like the emblem and think it'd look really cool on a black pickguard.

Last edited:

=JL=

Great idea and good execution! Does the bridge pickup still sound as good as before the mod?

Absolutely. I put a Kent Armstrong neck pickup in it, which is a proper Firebird style construction but it overwhelmed the bridge pickup a touch.
I eventually put a Mojo (UK) goldfoil in the neck position and that made for a perfectly balanced guitar, both pickups sounding excellent with the same amp setting.

The Epiphone bridge pickup is a beauty isn't it? I can believe how good they sound, given how average their conventional humbuckers usually are.

Reactions: Roe

bullnose

Here's my 2017 Firebird T. I replaced the pickups with some Alnico V's from Buddha Pickups on Reverb (reasonably priced and sound great), and wired it so both volumes are on top like they did in the old days. Also, gold reflectors, because gold reflectors. This and my OBG LP standard are about all I play these days.

eYQD1MY.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom