The Firebird Thread

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Baracus, Dec 2, 2018.

1. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

2. =JL=

=JL= Member

Absolutely. I put a Kent Armstrong neck pickup in it, which is a proper Firebird style construction but it overwhelmed the bridge pickup a touch.
    I eventually put a Mojo (UK) goldfoil in the neck position and that made for a perfectly balanced guitar, both pickups sounding excellent with the same amp setting.

The Epiphone bridge pickup is a beauty isn't it? I can believe how good they sound, given how average their conventional humbuckers usually are.

Roe likes this.
  3. bullnose

bullnose Member

Here's my 2017 Firebird T. I replaced the pickups with some Alnico V's from Buddha Pickups on Reverb (reasonably priced and sound great), and wired it so both volumes are on top like they did in the old days. Also, gold reflectors, because gold reflectors. This and my OBG LP standard are about all I play these days.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  4. Baracus

Baracus Member

That is exactly what I would like! Cool.

Also this:

[​IMG]

bullnose and Tonal Comfort like this.
  5. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Played one of these not too long ago...had a set neck without a raised center section so I guess it's technically a Fauxbird.

[​IMG]

cjp54, T Dizz and Baracus like this.
  6. Baracus

Baracus Member

What did you think of it?
    Guessing much more similar to an LP

Think one with silver hardware would be pretty cool

7. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Member

To me it was not about shape or construction although that may in fact be a factor but it was mini humbuckers - I almost went a goldtop with minis, but never having seen Winter do that and he was the inspiration for the tone I was after I decided to stick to the FB.
    Wonder what drew him to it?

D'uh
    Winter described the tone:

"The Firebird is the best of all worlds. It feels like a Gibson, but it sounds closer to a Fender than most other Gibsons. I was never a big fan of humbucking pickups, but the mini humbuckers on the Firebird have more bite and treble."

Baracus likes this.
  8. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

I have no need for another guitar but I want a non reverse Firebird one day and this fellow is why

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Mr.db, RickC, AngryHatter and 3 others like this.
  9. bullnose

bullnose Member

If somebody told me I could buy only one more guitar for the rest of my life, it would be a Kauer Banshee, hands down. I'd love to have one, but I just can't justify the cost right now, no matter how much I try to persuade myself that I could.

EDIT: After further reflection, it would be a toss up between a Banshee and a Potvin Jupiter if I could only ever buy one guitar for the rest of my life.

http://potvinguitars.com/models/jupiter/

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Arewenotmen? likes this.
  10. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

Dude --- how would you describe the way in which the tone of guitar changed as a result of the pick up replacement that you did?

11. bullnose

bullnose Member

I'd describe it as having more of a vintage output/character. Also, they're more "jangly" and clear like a single coil rather than a humbucker, along with some added mid range. To my ears the stock pickups were shrill and voiced for higher gain and didn't have much in the way of mid range. Overall I'd say it's somewhere between a slightly thinner Les Paul sound and slightly thicker strat sound.

I asked the winder to voice them as close as he could to a vintage PAF while using traditional Firebird bar magnets. I think he hit the nail on the head, given the completely different construction of Firebird pickups vs. regular humbuckers.

12. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

Thanks! I like the idea that these PUPs are a little thicker. Maybe I was wrong to have this expectation about the Firebird tone, but I was hoping for a sound closer to a Tele sound than a Strat. I have a Tele with a Fender Vintage Noiseless at the bridge and it sounds great to my ears. If could have the Firebird playability with that Tele tone, that would be a fantastic combo for me.

13. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I'm hoping I'll get to actually keep one of these. I think I want to build a green burst with a maple top for myself to replace the Banshee that UPS destroyed.

14. bullnose

bullnose Member

If you have the $, I'm sure Kauer could build you whatever you want. I know that RS Guitarworks made a teebyrd a few years back that sounds like it would be right up your alley.

http://rebel-guitars.com/rs-guitarworks-teebyrd-butterscotch-blonde/

Baracus likes this.
  15. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

That’s really nice BUT, to me, the essential feature of a reverse Firebird is the neck-thru-body design. With a bolt on neck that’s just a weird shaped Telecaster with a Firebird neck pickup.

the_Chris, jota and Baracus like this.
  16. Baracus

Baracus Member

Trying to get around to a full group pic... meanwhile '65 & '77

[​IMG]

17. bullnose

bullnose Member

Yes, but it's a really cool weird shaped telecaster with Firebird neck pickup.

18. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Studio?

19. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Hey, did I say it wasn’t cool?

20. mdubya

mdubya Member

My 2002 CS Non Reverse

[​IMG]

Close up detail

[​IMG]

I love this guitar. I want to add another CS NR with FB minis. Then a traditional Reverse model. I previously owned a 1995 Reverse FB V.

Mattbedrock and bullnose like this.