The Firebird Thread

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Baracus, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Baracus

Baracus Member

Custom

2. bullnose

bullnose Member

Love it!

mdubya likes this.
  3. bullnose

bullnose Member

I'm jealous!

4. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

I wasn't impressed :(. It reminded me of the Les Paul Custom Lite models that Gibson has been reissuing for the past few years. Nice looking on the wall, but very average in construction and playability (note that the body is bound on the top only). Soundwise it was an SG type sound in an even more unwieldy package. Gibson had originally priced these "Firebird Customs" at $3995 and stupposedly only made 200 (for the record, I paid under $3K for my NOS 1965 Custom Shop reissue). There still seems to be good number of NOS pieces available and dealers have dropped the prices into the $2000-2500 range.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  5. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Awww...don't be a hater- ugly 'birds need love too.

6. Arewenotmen?

Arewenotmen? Member

I have one of these Greco copies. Greco made FB copies in the 70s, but the Pelham blue ones are late 80s. As I recall, they were produced in blue for either 2 or 3 years. Mine is a 1988 and they produced them in 1989, too. I can't remember if they were also made in 1987 or 1990.

These are fantastic guitars and probably the best value of Firebird available today, in my opinion.

7. MichaelVincent12

MichaelVincent12 Member

Here's my '03 VII Reissue. It'd been my dream guitar for a long, long time. Finally saved up enough cash to grab one in 2004. I love the thing, but I probably should have gotten a Firebird V instead. That middle pickup and tailpiece don't really suit my playing style and just get in the way. Also, I'm not very tall or large, so this instrument makes me look and feel faintly ridiculous. The logical part of my brain says I should sell it and grab something I actually like playing, the other, larger part of my brain says keep it. Sure is a nice-looking axe, though.
    [​IMG]

8. mdubya

mdubya Member

I love the attitude the Firebird exudes!

My '95 was my #1 for a few years when my band was in its prime. My SG sounded better, but people noticed when I had the 'Bird strapped on. They loved that guitar.

Of course, if I broke a string and strapped on the SG, they were all like, "holysh!t, that tone!" :eeks

To be fair, the Firebird was exceptional for cleaner funk and classic R&B tones. Too bad I was playing mostly AC/DC and fuzzed out Jimi and Sabbath-y type tones.

Seth L likes this.
  9. wmachine

wmachine Member

That is one fine bird. I'm sorry you're not bonding with it. You should't be the least bit concerned about your size in comparison. Tommy Shaw is not at all fazed playing an ES-335. I think my 2015 FB V is gorgeous, and I wouldn't think twice about trading for that beauty!

10. MichaelVincent12

MichaelVincent12 Member

Ha, well, for me the issue is that, appearances aside, it sometimes feels like I'm playing a parking meter.

11. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Don't forget how well they work with slide.

AngryHatter likes this.
  12. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Member

I can't play slide for love or money.

13. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Member

14. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Member

I'd love to hear some clips, that looks interesting.

mdubya likes this.
  15. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I had one just like yours. Wonderful guitar. I bought it for $300, played it for quite a while, then sold it for $850. I have three Gibson birds, so I figured I wouldn't miss it...wrong!Played great & sounded more like a vintage FB than an unmodded modern one. I still have 3 FBs though...
    '64 FB III :refurbished. The only hardware that is original is the tuners. The pickups are from a medallion, but I changed the covers to plain ones. The brightest sounding of my three.
    [​IMG]
    Modded 1990 FB V - 3-Duncan SM1s, set-up with 3 push/push volumes & master tone. It already had the Lyre tailpiece, but I had the holes plugged & center refinned, had it routed for a middle pickup & rewired. It now has a FB 1 pickguard to get rid of the useless 3-way switch. A real favorite of mine!
    [​IMG]
    Bone stock 1980 FB III(I believe that was their official designation) A truly wonderful guitar all around. Pickups are great sounding! Another major favorite! Even the stock case is basically like a Fender bass case. They should do those now!
    [​IMG]
    All three together. For adopted sisters, they get along well!
    Tony
    [​IMG]

GOTTA love a Firebird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

Funny, I'm just the opposite. I love a Firebird in any color BUT Tobacco Sunburst!

Tony

17. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Member

I do not think I have seen a bad color for a FB.

Scary Uncle G. likes this.
  18. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

mrfett and Tonal Comfort like this.
  19. mdubya

mdubya Member

It's a ripper with the full size 'buckers. It sounds like an SG or an Explorer or a V, IMO.

The only sounds files I have with it are very low volume modeling demos. You will enjoy Warren's playing more than mine. :aok

Tonal Comfort and RickC like this.
  20. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

I wished I owned it. I do not. I have been looking at them though. Most are to high. And I would pay the price. But I seem to never have the money for them when they are for sale. :(