The First 5 mins of This is some of Al Di Meola's most Gorgeous Playing I've Heard..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by parker, Aug 14, 2018.

1. parker

parker Member

So fresh and interesting, his sense of time, harmony and melody is something else!

DRS, MrX, Machew and 14 others like this.
  2. david57strat

david57strat Member

Beautiful playing. One would expect no less from DiMeola. Anyone know the name of this beautiful piece?

Thanks for posting this, parker!

parker likes this.
  3. parker

parker Member

Ha! I'm trying to scour iTunes right now for it.. I want to know too.

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

No kidding ...!!

5. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

He has such a unique way of phrasing along with such a melodic sense. And then there is that killer use of chordal cross picking. Any one element of what he does is awesome. But multiple elements together is why Al is Al :phones

Lotus and Eric Rowland like this.
  6. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Have you heard "Opus", his album from earlier this year? Really wonderful. He's playing with taste, passion, and a tremendous range these days.

jamess, fataxeman, harry65 and 5 others like this.
  7. parker

parker Member

I just downloaded it last night, going to list to it today..

harry65 likes this.
  8. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Al is a really special talent. He seems happier and more into it these days than he has in years.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    harry65, James824 and Eric Rowland like this.
  9. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

When Al is able to just be himself, if that makes sense, I think he is amazing. I like him much less in any kind of macho guitar hero role. I really didn't prefer the Paco and McLaughlin stuff he did, although I love both those other guys. I like him when he is doing his own thing with no regard for anyone's expectations of him.

10. Pascal

Pascal Member

From 4:40 or so it is Astor Piazzolla's Milonga del Angel. Not sure if what he plays before is just an intro or another composition. In any case, I would look into his Piazzolla albums. And while you're at it, also check out Astor Piazzolla himself. A Giant.

11. david57strat

david57strat Member

Will do. Thanks, brother!

12. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

really great. I find his playing very appealing as long as he avoids the million notes a minute stuff

Beano Addict likes this.
  13. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

OMG I love Piazolla. IMHO, every musician who like different stuff owes it to themselves to at least be exposed to his iconic music. Some great guitar too!

harry65 likes this.
  14. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Agree almost 100%. IMO he is at his best as a normal musician playing normal music, not shredding. His shredding is so boring to me. Having said that, I love when he plays fast if the point is musical, for example, Race With the Devil -- very fast indeed, but shredding was never the point with that piece. It's just a fast head, like Scuttlebuttin is for Stevie. He could not hang with Pace and McLaughlin in their territory, just IMO, precisely because they are never just shredders even though they both play extremely fast. Paco had very little ego in his fast playing, and McLaughlin was just copping a coltrane vibe when playing fast. So Al is over there shredding, like actual shredding. Didn't work for me, except on a few of their pieces that were different from that cliche stuff.

15. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Didn't know there was animus there. That is too bad. Paco and JM had an obvious chemistry that AD did not have with either of them. They had more in common musically. The trio was a bit too watered down unless it was two at a time and they could meld a little easier, IMO.

I found Al the least compelling of that trio, and I found the trio much less satisfying than any of their music individually, which is all first rate to me. Paco to me was most compelling, followed by JM. But I'm biased in that Paco is like a god to me, as far as his place in music history, his genius within flamenco.

I think Al has fewer chops than JM in his prime. But I don't care about that, as the music is what counts first and last, and I love them separately. Al has made some beautiful recordings, and I like when he picks his spots to play fast more strategically, as in those lovely recordings.

Baxtercat likes this.
  16. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Well, my impression is that Al passed through a period where ego and head cutting kinda got in the way of his lyrical soul.

WRT Paco disliking him, that was not something Paco told me when we talked and it was clear that Paco admired Al as a player. Al also has expressed genuine affection for Paco and if you listen to them trade off on The Elegant Lady LP, it is clear that they were, at that moment, simpatico.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Baxtercat likes this.
  17. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

Always loved Al. His dream theme is my jam

18. Lotus

Lotus Member

Nice to see some love for Al’s acoustic music, which has been his main thing for the last 30 (!) years or so. If you liked the clip, you should also like the cd “Diabolic Inventions and Seduction”. It’s Al playing Piazzola songs on nylon string guitar accompanied only by percussion.

Also worth checking out are “World Sinfonia”, “Heart of the Immigrants”, “Di Meola plays Piazzola” and “La Melodia: Live in Milano”.

The DVD “Speak a Volcano” starts out with some electric tunes, but after that Al first plays some great solo acoustic stuff and after that a couple of duets with Gumbi Ortiz, his long time collaborator on percussion.

19. harry65

harry65 Member

It's a song Al wrote long ago called "that way before" , one of my faves

Starts at 21:35 , btw my fave album of his , incredible compositions and Al on flat wounds , killer!!!!!

20. harry65

harry65 Member

Diabolic seductions is one of my top three desert island albums , just gorgeous.........