The first live recordings with my band. <m>

Deacon

Hi there :)

I recorded one of our recent gigs, and I uploaded 6 of the songs from that gig onto our MySpace page. Let me know what you think. I was pretty pleasantly surprised at how well such an impromptu recording turned out.

http://www.myspace.com/theswampkings

The recording was done using a Zoom H2. I placed the H2 on a shelf back behind the bar directly across for where we were set up (see pic below). The couple in front of us is about halfway from the band to the H2 behind them.

SwampKingGigBronzeBoarFeb92008-band.jpg

The H2 was about 20 feet away from us and was high enough on the shelf that it had a direct line between its mics and the PA's mains.

We did not mic any of our instruments, though. I'll be changing that for the recording I do at our next gig.

I did not do any post production Fx, normalization, etc. All I did was cut extraneous beginnings and endings of the WAV files to include only the song itself (and a little cheering when it sounded good), and then I converted those WAV files into mp3 files. I used Audacity software for this little cutting, pasting, and file converting.

As far as gear, I was playing my Rocketfire Strat running through an OCDv3 and into my Fuchs ODS 50 head and Mesa 3/4 back 1x12 cab. Our other guitarist (Tom), swtich back and forth from his Reverend Flat Roc guitar and an AM Std Strat into a Peavey Classic 30 1x12 combo. His pedals include two TS-9's, a treble boosting EQ unit, and a TC Electronics Chorus pedal.

Hope you like the tunes.

Thanks.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Wow, that Zoom sounds like it does a pretty good job for the price tag. Nice tone on SoS.

Deacon

Wow, that Zoom sounds like it does a pretty good job for the price tag. Nice tone on SoS.

Yeah, I was very pleasantly surprised with how well the H2 recorded us.

Thanks for the compliment about the SoS tone. My Rocketfire Strat has a really sweet tweener tone. Nick makes amazing vintage style Strat pickups IMO.

I was basically running the Strat on bridge/middle tweener, clean channel of the Fuchs ODS 50, and no OD pedal.

yZe

Let me know what you think.

<clippage>

Hope you like the tunes.

Thanks.

Overall, the band definitely sounds tight and rehearsed, and hs a good repertoire

Good 2 guitar team up. YOu guys stay w/in your own registers and play different voicings and rhythms

I felt that Money and sultans sounded a bit rushed

Although I am an improviser, and encourage such; all of the licks on sultan should be frekin' nailed note for note

I would work on that as a goal, while playing the way you are now, with that goal in mind

Maybe lift 2 or 3 licks at first and get those nailed at a gig, then move on to the next ones until the whole solo is nailed

cool take on whipping post, just try to nail those stops

Nice sound going on. Always love the blues. The first song had a little Delbert Mclinton in the singing and there aint nothin wrong with that.

Deacon

Overall, the band definitely sounds tight and rehearsed, and hs a good repertoire

Good 2 guitar team up. YOu guys stay w/in your own registers and play different voicings and rhythms

I felt that Money and sultans sounded a bit rushed

Although I am an improviser, and encourage such; all of the licks on sultan should be frekin' nailed note for note

I would work on that as a goal, while playing the way you are now, with that goal in mind

Maybe lift 2 or 3 licks at first and get those nailed at a gig, then move on to the next ones until the whole solo is nailed

cool take on whipping post, just try to nail those stops

Hi there

Thanks a lot of the feedback. All really good points. I am working up the little fills in Sultans as we go along. We just wanted to get it into the set list as soon as we had it pretty respectibly tight as far as the overall vibe of the song. The crowd LOVED it when we played it.

I agree with you about the tempo on Money and Sultans. We actually talked a lot about making sure we give our songs the spafce to really groove when we play them ... to work on being much more aware of each song's tempo.

Appreciate it! :)

Deacon

Nice sound going on. Always love the blues. The first song had a little Delbert Mclinton in the singing and there aint nothin wrong with that.

Yeah ... it was kind of weird. I hadn't had any trouble with my voice all day. Felt strong and clear. Then I started the first set and all of the sudden there was a lot of gravel in there. Just tried to go with the flow.

My voice cleared up after 3 or 4 songs in the first set.

Deacon

Deacon, sounds great. I love my Zoom too. :)

Thanks Andy. :AOK

My ODS 50 (care of Make 'n Music and the Amp Fest a couple of years ago) has been my steady gigging amp ever since I got it. You signed it for me at Amp Fest. Also, thanks to you and that ODS 50, I started a great correspondence with Tomo Fujita. I buy all his CD's as soon as they come out. He's truly one of my guitar influences now (if only I could play 1/10th as well as he does ... sigh).

Every time I plug into it again, I'm totally thrilled with the tone I get from it.

I DO want to add one of your Mini 112 cabs under it sometime, though. Love the compactness of it. Just wish I had one around here to try out before I get one.

Nick Sorenson

Rocketfire Guitars
Silver Supporting Member
Hey Doug,
Great playing! Hey, nice pickups and nice guitar:) I'm glad it's getting played out. I probably shouldn't have aged it a single bit, you'd have put some miles on it in no time flat I'm sure! :AOK

Anyways, Keep up the great work!
Nick

Deacon

Hey Doug,
Great playing! Hey, nice pickups and nice guitar:) I'm glad it's getting played out. I probably shouldn't have aged it a single bit, you'd have put some miles on it in no time flat I'm sure! :AOK

Anyways, Keep up the great work!
Nick

Hiya Nick!

Thanks for the kind words. Also, thanks for making me such an awesome guitar!

Your pickups are the best sounding Strat pups I've ever used, and the feel of the guitar is just amazing. I couldn't be happier with it!

Heck ... I'm probably gonna have to come back to you for a nice relic'ed Tele soon! :BEER

Top notch service, attention to detail, and product quality. All the best to you!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom