The first official word on Joey Kramer’s absence from Aerosmith. Update: He’s Back!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 27sauce, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

...they like the new drummer more, I bet.
    They could probably ALL be replaced with better players.

2. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I don’t think anyone would consider his tech a “better” drummer. Tyler was guiding him through parts on stage when I saw them in November, after playing with them for months. Very bar band.

He’s good enough and can play to a click.

Kramer was adamant about not playing to one live. Dug his heels, wanted the md fired. Then, all of the sudden he was injured.

3. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

That’s wild haha. Not sure I buy paying a replacement dude 10k a week to rehearse and 20k per show.

4. Tidbit

Tidbit Member

Kramer says the band asked him to perform a series of solo rehearsals against a "click track" -- not even live with the other 4 guys -- as his audition ... and they would listen to the recordings to decide whether he got his gig back.

According to the suit ... Kramer finally and begrudgingly auditioned with the "click track" in early January, and despite his 50 years of experience and believing his performance was on par, the band prohibited him from rejoining. He claims the reason he was given is he "did not have enough 'energy' in the recordings."

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  5. 27sauce

27sauce Member

There’s no way.

6. 27sauce

27sauce Member

His wife posts on social media, and in the early days of the Vegas residency she voiced some anger that Tyler was getting flown back and forth from his home in LA to Vegas on the hotel’s dime, while the band stayed in Vegas. Kramer wanted to comeback to TX between gigs. Not enough to pay for it...

7. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Who is his replacement?

8. 27sauce

27sauce Member

His tech, who happens to be Jack Douglas’ son.

Echoplexi and rwe333 like this.
  9. Franklin

Franklin Supporting Member

Wow, talk about band drama....

10. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Sounds like a $ play... they’re pulling an Eagles/Felder move to pay a sideman versus an equal member split. Greed sucks.

11. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

"Even though there's conflict, we're told the group -- including Joey -- is a brotherhood"

The Fellowship of the Cha-Ching

12. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I don’t think it’s money based at all. Not on the band’s end, anyway. This is just another in a decades long personal battle between Kramer and the rest.

Tyler has been very outspoken about his time off, struggles, and the band pressuring him to tour. They’re an equal split band since day 1, but only Tyler and Perry have mailbox money.

I think they would rather have Kramer get with the program, and do the gigs. He’s been outspoken about his desire not to do them “the new way”.

13. EdFarmer

EdFarmer Member

I've been a fan for about 45 years . . . It's not about money, there's plenty of money. But, Tyler and Perry are more than a bit goofy . . .

Danny D, dlc1953 and FenderBigot like this.
  14. Cup of Cheese

Cup of Cheese Member

What's that?

R3deemed, rongtr1 and HugoTheCat like this.
  15. 27sauce

27sauce Member

This excerpt from an interview with jack Douglas as the residency began(with Kramer) is very telling.

“Always astute, Jack said the following about Aerosmith as they geared up for their Las Vegas residency. “The 1st show was slightly 'f-ed' up. I think they were over rehearsed and Steven [Tyler] was thinking more about what could go wrong will all this production.”

Jack said his major contribution in rehearsal was talking the music director out of using click tracks. (They back up the drums basically).

“There’s no click that can identify the groove on some of those old songs like ‘Same Old Song & Dance’ or ‘Mama Kin’ or ‘Back in the Saddle,'" Douglas said. "The whole idea of those songs is that they’re gonna move – they’re gonna move up in the chorus then they’re gonna move back down for the verse. You can’t put a click on them. And when he tried to, it was very uncomfortable, and the band … looked like they were laboring through the songs.”

16. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

I liked them many decades ago. Once everything became a Michael Bay soundtrack song; ehhh.

17. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Songwriting, performance royalties...any time their songs get played anywhere, they get paid.

The rest of the band gets paid for record sales, but those are a thing of the past, compared to their heyday.

basically, if they aren’t gigging, the rest of the band isn’t making money. Tyler and Perry make money all day every day.

18. BigDar

BigDar Member

That's really messed up. This has to be the only band in existence who's output was better when they were on drugs.

19. fierce_carrot

fierce_carrot Member

It's said he has a net worth of $100 million....

Years ago Bob Seger called his manager in and asked him what his net worth was. The manager was shocked at the statement but told him it would take a couple of weeks to get the figures together. Over that time period, Bob began to wonder was was taking him so long and then the thoughts of "OH GOD I HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF AND AM BROKE" took over his mind. The day his manager called, Bob was terrified until the manager said, "you're worth 70 million".

Bob's next words, "I'm retired"...and he did for quite a few years.

Joey, **** the band, you did 50 years. Go enjoy the last years of your life in pleasure and leave the egomanics to themselves.