• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Fractal Audio FM9 is here!

Marc Roy

I don't know if your question is for me, anyway...i'm happy with my Helix Floor so I don't need a new modeler...I don't even have a band at the moment and is hard to "justify" a new unit...but...

..but... the FM9 is the first Fractal product that has all I need (axefxIII is too much, FM3 is not enough) therefore I'm intrigued and tempted.

I like the sound of this. Are you running into FRFR or a power amp and cab?

My buddy uses a Helix LT and gets amazing tones as well. I've not been able to try a Helix enough to make a decision, but I played a friend's older Axe-FX II for a good part of a night, and it changed my mind about modelers. My jaw dropped at a few of these models. The tones I have in mind aren't complicated either. I'm more of a roots/blues-rock player than anything else, so an amp and a few pedals is all I've ever used. I figure the FM9 is a good start. The III is too much for me. I don't want to deal with a rack if I can avoid it.

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
I like the sound of this. Are you running into FRFR or a power amp and cab?

My buddy uses a Helix LT and gets amazing tones as well. I've not been able to try a Helix enough to make a decision, but I played a friend's older Axe-FX II for a good part of a night, and it changed my mind about modelers. My jaw dropped at a few of these models. The tones I have in mind aren't complicated either. I'm more of a roots/blues-rock player than anything else, so an amp and a few pedals is all I've ever used. I figure the FM9 is a good start. The III is too much for me. I don't want to deal with a rack if I can avoid it.

I've used the Helix with my tube amp and later a power amp + 4x12 cabs for the first 3 years then last year I've moved to FRFR because I wanted to downsize.

bAngiel01

Sounds like Fractal is getting pretty far along in beta testing V5 for the FM3, which I’m guessing will coincide with V2 for the FM9. So hopefully all FM users will “soon” see a nice update :dude
Indeed. I received my FM9 today and I’m missing the Maxoff drive and Zephyr delay.

AZG

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like Fractal is getting pretty far along in beta testing V5 for the FM3, which I’m guessing will coincide with V2 for the FM9. So hopefully all FM users will “soon” see a nice update :dude
Fractal just acknowledged that firmware V2 for the FM9 is "around the corner" (the new "soon"?) and the list of updates is "impressive". Looks like everyone is getting new firmware soonish. Someone needs to add an Oprah meme about everyone getting new firmware.

Last edited:

bAngiel01

Fractal just acknowledged that V2 for the FM9 is "around the corner" (the new "soon"?) and the list of updates is "impressive". Looks like everyone is getting new firmware soonish. Someone needs to add an Oprah meme about everyone getting new firmware.
Careful. Based on how people talk about Fractal here, people are going to read your post and think there’s a V2 of the FM9, rather than a FW2 for the FM9. ;)

JasonE

A new updated "Turbo" version of the FM9, while the original FM9 is still on the first day of the waitlist:bong I can only imagine the reactions 'round here if this was a reality:fisticuffs

There is already someone on the Fractal forum throwing a fit because they haven't released a new version of the firmware yet so yeah, that would make someone's head explode. It was that thread that surfaced the information about the new firmware coming soon.

gtr37

Fractal just acknowledged that firmware V2 for the FM9 is "around the corner" (the new "soon"?) and the list of updates is "impressive". Looks like everyone is getting new firmware soonish. Someone needs to add an Oprah meme about everyone getting new firmware.

it will be interesting to see if they have been able to improve the pitch block for the FM series

They have been working on that since the summer so I think
It will be a good indicator if it is not in this update that it likely is not going to happen

I don’t worry about it but that’s the #1 request for FM and UI improvement bigger fonts etc

Last edited:

PB26

it will be interesting to see if they have been able to improve the pitch block for the FM series

It will be a good indicator if it is not in this update that it likely is not going to happen

I don’t worry about it but that’s the #1 request for FM and UI improvement bigger fonts etc

Someone from Fractal said either here or on their forum that the FM9 engineer was working on getting the III pitch block ported over.

gtr37

Someone from Fractal said either here or on their forum that the FM9 engineer was working on getting the III pitch block ported over.

that was a while back I think at least a month Cliff also followed that up with he didn’t see an issue or why it would not be possible but cautioned I can make no promises

alfaphlex

The AX8 was my 1st Fractal unit. Love it, still have it. Then I got the AFX3 and FM3. One super powerful, one very portable. The FM9 is def the best of both worlds.

It's a powerful little beast. Been enjoying it these past 2 weeks. Having started with the AX8, I really feel at home with the FM9's size and layout.

I also like that they dedicated cores for the Reverb and Delays, lets you never have to think about whether they'll fit in a preset or not. Having the extra I/Os and variable impedance doesn't hurt either.

bdrepko

Silver Supporting Member
I’m new to the Fractal world with my FM9 and it’s really not as bad as people make it out to be. Plus I’m really loving FM9-Edit. Easy to get around, nice short cuts, drag and drop, and pleasant surprises like auditioning presets before writing them to the FM9, etc.

Still learning something every day but I’m loving it.
The ability to access Axe Exchange from the Axe Edit is great.

bdrepko

Silver Supporting Member

I was really hoping the updated pitch block would make it to the FM3, but I guess there would be too much sacrifice in CPU. Hopefully they will be able to port to the FM9. My Drop pedal is on life support and I really dont want to buy another one.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom