• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Fractal Audio FM9 is here!

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
When I create a basic patch like that (amp, cab w/ two Ultra-Res cabinets active, and a reverb block), CPU usage is a little over 33%. That leaves tons of room for additional effects.

That's cool. Could have been a fluke I was getting 85%. I was kinda surprised myself. I didn't save it. If I run across it again, I'll post the preset.

CapnRex

Day 2 with another couple hours playtime. FM9 is 100% keeper. My FM3 and Kemper Stage will be on the sale block. I've decided I'm going to get a Kemper rack later next year to replace the Stage. FM9 is the best floor solution by far. Running through my Mission Io FRFR pair is a treat.

One thing that I did notice is if you have 1 amp with 2 cabs both set at HiRes, the CPU is nearly max'd on an otherwise simple preset. Not deal breaker for me, but some of you may want to take note.
Could you comment on heavy lead tones between FM9 (any new Fractal really) vs kemper, if you play that way?

I have a Kemper and really only have a few cabs that I feel are useful that I have to add to any amp to sound decent (present without bees in a can) in my setup. This results in everything sounding similar. Considering getting an FM9 (and would then sell the Kemper) and am on the waitlist. I pretty much only play instrumental rock and prog music. I don't care much about effects beyond reverb and delay and I know both Kemper and Fractal are more than good enough in that department for my needs.

Thanks!

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
Could you comment on heavy lead tones between FM9 (any new Fractal really) vs kemper, if you play that way?

I have a Kemper and really only have a few cabs that I feel are useful that I have to add to any amp to sound decent (present without bees in a can) in my setup. This results in everything sounding similar. Considering getting an FM9 (and would then sell the Kemper) and am on the waitlist. I pretty much only play instrumental rock and prog music. I don't care much about effects beyond reverb and delay and I know both Kemper and Fractal are more than good enough in that department for my needs.

Thanks!
I generally live in the mid gain territory. Sometimes a bit more. Nothing close the modern metal tones. I always felt Kemper has a little bit more roundness and dynamic range over Fractal. But less so with the latest Cygnus firmware. And, Kemper is 100% dependent on the quality of the profile used. I like the profiles I use because I made them. Comparing those tones to FM9 really doesn't make sense to me.

That all said, I feel like the FM9 is more flexible platform overall. Worthy of the quality sounds I've gotten with my Stage.

Brandon7s

Well, I just got my FM9 invite a couple days ago and I'm going to have to pass for now. Girlfriend has been out of work for nearly a year and money is getting tight, such a big purchase would be irresponsible at this point. I could recoup most of the costs by selling my FM3 and two reverb pedals that I've been meaning to put on the market for a while, but I'd rather play it safe until my lady has found a new job.

Also, I've been heavily contemplating going with an AxeFX III MKII (or Turbo) instead. It does everything I could reasonably wish for, including FullRes, and it could completely replace my audio interface - which would free up some desk space that I could use.

Who knows, there might be something even cooler out by the time everything has settled down enough in my life to make another Fractal purchase. ;)

Last edited:

aerial7

FM9 is what fm3 should have been. but the fm3 was released to rope in a ton of $$$ to fund the fm9.
The Fractal wiki says:
The entire product line was conceived years ago. The goal was to maximize the number of parts shared between products. The footswitch PC boards do three switches each. An FM3 has one board. An FC6 has two. An FM9 has three and an FC12 has four. All products use the same LCDs, encoders, side plates, etc., etc. This reduces cost and repair inventory. The FC6 and the FM3 are basically the same enclosure. The FC12 and FM9 are basically the same enclosure. This isn't a huge market. Margins are thin so you have to think of ways to minimize development and product costs. Parts bin methodology is the route we took on this generation.

Fireproof

Platinum Supporting Member
Late to the game. Just got on the waitlist. Any idea about how far out I’m looking at?

Also - still making my way through this thread - anyone have a direct side-by-side photo comparing Helix to FM9 for size purposes?

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Late to the game. Just got on the waitlist. Any idea about how far out I’m looking at?
They're going through the waitlist much faster than they did with the FM3. I would have thought you'd have a few months to wait but it may not be that bad.

CapnRex

Well, I just got my FM9 invite a couple days ago and I'm going to have to pass for now. Girlfriend has been out of work for nearly a year and money is getting tight, such a big purchase would be irresponsible at this point. I could recoup most of the costs by selling my FM3 and two reverb pedals that I've been meaning to put on the market for a while, but I'd rather play it safe until my lady has found a new job.

Also, I've been heavily contemplating going with an AxeFX III MKII (or Turbo) instead. It does everything I could reasonably wish for, including FullRes, and it could completely replace my audio interface - which would free up some desk space that I could use.

Who knows, there might be something even cooler out by the time everything has settled down enough in my life to make another Fractal purchase. ;)
Does the FX3 have a better interface than the FM9? Are you just talking about ins/outs or is there something additional?

Brandon7s

Does the FX3 have a better interface than the FM9? Are you just talking about ins/outs or is there something additional?
The interface is mostly the same, to my understanding, it's the additional DSP and I/O that I'm referencing. I find that I don't use the footswitches all that often so I think I could get a Morningstar MC6 or MC8 and that would easily cover all of my footswitching needs.

Last edited:

Fireproof

Platinum Supporting Member
They're going through the waitlist much faster than they did with the FM3. I would have thought you'd have a few months to wait but it may not be that bad.
I was a hair over five weeks.
Thank you both. This is the first form-factor from Fractal I’ve been interested in since the initial AxeFX days, so waiting additional months isn’t a huge deal. But exciting to see maybe it’s not that long (especially not as long as the 1-year FM3 wait).

I remember reading something on their site about “after initial stock is gone, we will have more coming in October” - do we know if that batch has started shipping yet?

Hapless

so does the fm9 SOUND any diff then the fm3 or the axefx3? just curious.
It uses the same Cygnus modeling algorithms and should sound exactly the same, with the same presets. The difference is in number of effects, etc. that can be used. As long as an AFX3 patch fits within the FM3 and FM9's CPU limits, it will sound the same.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom