• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Fryette SigX is magic!

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Just spent a few hours playing my Strat thru my Sig-X..... what a incredible sound...

Lately I have been setting up the clean channel with a medium amount of midrange & the volume set so it is clean - except when I dig in & hit hard. To get to the point of break-up / cleaner crunch I turn on the boost.
The Rhythm channel has Gain I at about 3 o'clock & the midrange set low.
The lead channel Gain I also at 3"o'clock & midrange turned up.

I turn the boost on & off ... on all three channels.
This way I have six sounds with different amounts of gain & tonal balance.
I also use the volume & pick-up selector on my guitar a lot ....

It is like having a encyclopedia of tones ....
I agree Stephen, killer amp. However, would love to hear it next to a Mesa Dual Rec, ED and Royal. It seems Bogner, Mesa and Fryette are my favorite amp builders.

Someone sent me a PM on a other forum .... I felt the reply would fit here ....

The clean channel is very different .... the Sig X is more like a NMV amp.... The CLX is more like a traditional clean channel on a multi-channel amp. The other two channels are very similar - but the different power-amp makes for a different sound & feel. The Sig X has more squish & can get a more vintage voice. The CLX tends to be more modern sounding.... both amps can do modern & vintage voices = but they tend this way. If you had both side by side for a few days you would see exactly what I mean.

For some people anything more than a single channel amp is as complex as they want. It took a little while for me to learn the Sig X - but at this point I can change around the sound for whatever I want very fast. I do not mess around a lot with all the switches & knobs much when playing with a band. I tend to do that on my own .... you know - looking to fine tune a type of sound.

For me the only thing I need to change around for different rooms is the Presence & Depth.

Everything else I just leave alone .... I do not even touch the volumes much .... because I already have them set-up to be in the same volume as the drummer. Think about it - if you drive the same car a lot you do not adjust everything in the car every time you drive. Like all amps you need to become familiar with it long before you do gigs with it to get the most out of it. This is true even with single channel amps. I just treat the Sig X channels like 3 separate amps....

Last edited:

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
My ears don't lie and I always remember the week or so that I borrowed my frind's SigX and loved it. I talk to guys who say that Fryetts just sound weird and that is why few pros in rock music will use a Fryette. I disagree - they sound great!

I was in the studio a few times this week .... Nothing like recording to let you completely hear any slop in your playing.

shanesiegle

The thing is to me there are amps out there that sound as good to my ears but nothing feels better no matter what I'm playing than my siggy! Two years later and I'm still floored by this amp. The fat and gain mod sound interesting to me though :)

Sardocasm

cupcakes
Silver Supporting Member
I agree 100%. I sold mine because I wanted to downscale my rig a bit, but it remains one of the best sounding and feeling amps I've ever owned.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I think the VHT amp with the best feel was the ST/50. I am not sure why they ever discontinued that amp?!

marshall2553

Gold Supporting Member
To those who own a SIG:X, what genres do you play? I keep hearing about how versatile it is but every demo I've found of this amp is someone playing metal. Anyone using it for classic rock / hard rock tones? Have clips that you could share?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
To those who own a SIG:X, what genres do you play? I keep hearing about how versatile it is but every demo I've found of this amp is someone playing metal. Anyone using it for classic rock / hard rock tones? Have clips that you could share?
Really? If I search the Fryette SigX on youtube, I get lots of clean, crunch, medium rock demos!

shanesiegle

We play everything from Aretha Franklin up to seventies rock up to metallic and it does it all really well as long as you get along with the fryette feel which I do but like all amps it isn't for everyone.

Green Pro Am

Silver Supporting Member
I have been wanting to try one of these for awhile. It is really hard to find any dealers that actually stock the amp these days.

Kelly

I love the SigX but I think it falls short trying to do a saturated, thick, rich, harmonically complex Marshall tone. :)
A few weeks ago I found myself sitting in James Lugo's studio, surrounded by a mountain of amps. Bogners, Diezel, Fryette, Marshall, Friedman, Rhodes, Cameron, Mesa, etc. I got to hear them all that day. To say that the Fryettes weren't as harmonically complex as the Marshalls is just ridiculous.
https://jameslugo.wetransfer.com/downloads/ea3a1ba9cca7193726dd8c220a208b4220131210171550/5ff1bc

Comparison clips are in the high gain folder>beautiful distraction.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Do you all think it feels as good and sounds as good as a single channel head? Like the Fryette Deliverance or a Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne?

Top Bottom