1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

the FUNKIEST music from New Orleans is BACK - Stoltz & The Meters....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bobby D, May 17, 2011.

1. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

just an update from my boss, Brian Stoltz....

the FUNKY METERS have been reunited and are ON TOUR worldwide again.

PBS has been temporarily suspended due to some legal issues with their former manager that I can't talk about, but will be testifying in court over, it ain't pretty, but that's rock & roll for ya.

I am currently setting up Brian's new "fly rig" pedalboard for all these new Funky Meters dates, and it's really simple:

Paul Trombetta minibone
    Catalinbread Ottava Magus
    Buddha Wah pedal

those three pedals feeding the Line 6 M13, that I will be programming with all Brian's fave sounds -- he lost most of his gear in Katrina, so I have been working with his since then to rebuild his rig.

Brian plays Fender guitars exclusively, including a roadworn '84 Strat Plus that Fender gave him in 1984 when he was in the Neville Brothers, an '85 MIJ strat with scalloped neck he bought on tour in Japan, and an original '74 Tele Deluxe -- I take care of these guitars, and I love them all, they have a certain funky "stank" to them after being on the road for over 20 years.

Brian Stoltz is one of the best guitarists IN THE WORLD with the New Orleans sound -- check out a little something here:

Brian also toured with Bob Dylan -- and Bob even wrote about Brian in his autobiography as his "funky guitarist from Slidell" :agree

2. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Member

A gear consultant !!!!

3. laughingsam

laughingsam Member

as sad as it is to hear about PBS, i'm thrilled to hear about the return of the Funky Meters!

any dates yet?

4. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

that's me ;)

i DO go on tour with Brian when he needs me - he's one of the ONLY guitarists in the world that i would put my own guitar DOWN for to work as a "tech" -- because i absolutely ADORE him as a person, and love to hear him play every nite. he is a pleasure to work with, and it's like going to SCHOOL every nite watching him play.

have no fear -- the FUNKY METERS are here!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]riday, May 20, 2011 - Blue Bear Live VI Youth Music Benefit - San Francisco, CA
    BLUE BEAR LIVE VI Youth Music Benefit Don't Miss the Blue Bear Party of the Year Celebrating Our 40th Anniversary! Blue Bear School of Music presents Blue Bear Live VI :: A Benefit for Youth Music Education Featuring :: funky METERS First Bay Area appearance since 2009! Plus Special Guests and opening performances by Blue Bear Youth Bands Friday, May 20, 2011 at Bimbo's 365 Club Doors: 7pm / Show: 8pm Tickets: $75 GA / $150 VIP / $60 Members BUY TICKETS
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Saturday, May 21, 2011 - Doheney Blues Festival - Dana Point, CA

We'll be joining the stellar line-up at Doheney Blues Festival including John Fogerty, Trucks Tedeschi Band, Experience Hendrix and more. Check out festival info here.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Friday, May 27, 2011 - Tipitina's Uptown A Benefit for PBS - New Orleans, LA

funky METERS are proud to support three of it's members, Porter, Batiste and Stoltz, as part of this exciting benefit at Howlin Wolf on May 27. Adding to to an already special event, joining us for our set will be Staton Moore! Tickets on sale soon. More info.
    [/FONT]

Sunday, June 26, 2011 - Bayou Boogaloo & Cajun Fest - Norfolk, VA

22nd Annual AT&T Bayou Boogaloo & Cajun Food Festival Thursday, June 23 - Sunday, June 26, 2011 Thursday: Bayou Ball 8 pm - 10 pm Free Admission Friday: Noon-4pm Free Admission Lunch Preview, 5pm - 10pm, Saturday: Noon - 10 pm Sunday: Noon - 6pm Town Point Park, Downtown Norfolk, Virginia More Info
    [/FONT]

Saturday, July 16, 2011 - Sioux Falls Jazz & Blues Fest - Sioux Falls, SD

The annual Sioux Falls Jazz and Blues Festival, JazzFest, has become a summer favorite for Sioux Falls and the region.
    Check out the official website for the latest information.
    [/FONT]

Sunday, July 17, 2011 - Targhee Fest - Alta, WY

Funky Meters at the Targhee Fest. Joining Bonerama Funky Meters Little Feat and more. For more information, visit here.
    [/FONT]

Saturday, November 12, 2011 - Bear Creek Music Festival - Live Oak, FL

Join us for a weekend of great live music in Live Oak, FL. More info.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

5. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Can you clarify for me the difference and relation of the Funky Meters and the Meters?

Thanks!

6. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

funky is stoltz and batiste.

regular is the original lineup - nocentelli and zig

7. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

the original Meters are pretty much retired -- Leo Nocentelli still does play some gigs, but Art Neville is TIRED of touring, and stays home in New Orleans most of the time.

George Porter Jr is the common link between them ALL - he is the original bassist for the Meters -- and he has the rights to them name, as well as the blessings from Leo & Art to continue on using the name, albeit the "Funky Meters"

Brian Stoltz was the guitarist for the Neville Brothers for over a decade, so he was the natural choice to play guitar in that band, and he has played with George Porter Jr for 20 years or more. Brian was also Dylan's touring guitarist, and his discography is about two pages long, including 4 solo albums under his own name.

Russell Batiste is an AMAZING drummer who learned a LOT from Zigaboo, the original Meters drummer, and he has plenty of credits on his discography as well.

so......The Funky Meters have always been George Porter Jr's pet project, and the only authorized Meters band to call themselves the Meters, as he was the original bassist and co-wrote many of the original Meters songs from the 70s onwards...

hope that helps!

8. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

thanks for clearing up funky v. original! know original flavor well, will check out crispy.l

9. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i like BOTH flavors. ;)

the original Meters are the REAL DEAL - those 70s albums helped shape my playing for sure, along with thousands of other musicians.

the Funky Meters are a more "jammy" band, and have been incredibly popular with the younger jam band crowd. I think the Funky Meters are superior with their vocals and three part harmonies and their groove with the jams.

but the original Meters are the gold standard for funky new orleans music -- no denying it.

but the original Meters do not do many shows outside of NOLA, and they are all getting older.

The Funky Meters LOVE to tour, just came back from New Zealand and Japan, and they hit the road HARD when they tour. I wish I could have gone along for those dates in NZ and Japan, but the budget would not allow it....

10. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

if you wanna hear where Sonny Landreth picked up a few slide licks, take a listen to Brian's first solo on this tune. ;)

11. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

George Porter is my favorite bass player IN THE WORLD :agree

12. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Yeah you right!

14. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

Any Dumpstaphunk fans here?

15. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

yes sir! your MINIBONE is one of the ONLY discrete pedals that are staying on the board, because Brian LOVES IT -- and there's nothing in the M13 than can make those sounds ;)

16. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

would you be able to share any info you have on how stoltz is using the m13?

17. Brian Porter

Brian Porter Member

Brian Stoltz is also using our 50's strat pickups in his white strat on this tour. Cool that your are working with him on the pedal board Bobby. How are things on your end?

18. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

that's RIGHT....he really DUG your pickups in the Saguaro guitars ;)

all is well, taking it from day to day, and focusing on music and getting things done for myself and for people like Brian -- i hope i can get out and do some touring :agree

19. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

COMPETELY......because i will be programming it ;)

after he gets it "worked in", and is happy with the sounds, i have no problems (nor does he) with posting settings and presets for any chasing his tones :agree

20. huutevar

huutevar Member

The Funky Meters are just about the only band that I absolutely must see when they come to town. I love how they can be tearing it up on a song and George walks around and consults with the other band members and then all of a sudden they're playing a different song without ever stopping in between! I had the privilege to do some recording sessions with George about ten years ago and he always kept us focused while still being the nicest guy you could hope to work with. That sounds like an awesome gig, Bobby D!