The Future of Guitar Amps .....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stephen sawall, Dec 15, 2009.

1. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

2. stratton

stratton Member

It sure looks interesting. Wish I could offer something more intelligent.

3. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I know what you mean ....

.... all I got is I think my lower back well like it.

4. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

Clean sound OK but if the samples are any indication I will be hanging on to my Marshall 74X

5. GrooveSlinger

GrooveSlinger Member

All I can say is WOW! I want one already.

6. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

No one appears to have actually heard one in person, and some of his technical claims have been reported as dubious

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

I say "if it ain't broke don't fix it"...I for one would miss the romantic notion of dragging in my 80lb( w/roadcase) tube amp at 3am after a weeknight gig and having to work at 9am in the morning...something just wouldn't be right about that;)

Chow,
    Seegs

8. epluribus

epluribus Member

Here's where I part company with this philosophy...

...couldn't disagree more. Not saying they're wrong necessarily, but if you want zero artifacts from any part of your signal path, run low-impedance pups straight into a mixer. IMHO...ick.

Sound samples bear that out. "Overdrive" sounds barely driven to me. Negligible compression or sustain, smooth but shallow dirt, not much harmonic content to speak of, and not a lot of dynamic response to the pick or throughout the life of the note. Maybe I need to sit down and try one for real, but the clips are pretty sterile.

Never been a fan of Baxandall tone stacks on amps, btw. They work okay if you get the corner points right, but the ad says "hi-fi." Hm... I also note that they mention flat freq response. Great for a PA, but plugging a guitar straight into a PA is a good way to take the rock out.

No transformers...sounds like it. Again, no hint of compression, sag, etc, just very stiff power supply performance. Doesn't morph on the lower notes like a PT will either, very static sound across the fretboard. None of that OT distortion that goes into guitar sound either--once again, too linear on the EQ and such.

This would be a good pedal platform IMHO, or maybe a modeller with amp sims, but so is a PA system. A guitar amp in my book is half the instrument, and this one doesn't seem to know that.

--Ray

9. smolder

smolder Silver Supporting Member

interesting...

never really thought 'weight' was an obstacle - for my amp or my guitar. Not sure I would give up the output transformer though... really kind of shapes the tone. But if I ever plan to play guitar on - oh, say the moon, it would probably save on rocket fuel.

10. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I'm holding out for the Lady GAGA-50 model.

:rimshot

Sorry, couldn't resist.

11. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I have recently did an experiment with different output transformer winds and that is part of the sound. Now if it sounds good to you great but an OT is part of the sound I like.

12. ss396

ss396 Member

one out of the five sound samples was good to me, so not the future in my opinion. a five pound amplifier is a beautiful thing however, and maybe the sound will evolve.

13. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

Did you see their road case for it? The sides are lined with miniature helium compartments so when the amp is in there, it actually only weighs 1.2 pounds!!!

No. ;) But it wouldn't surprise me if they tried. I'll stick with my 1x12 combos for now, but I appreciate companies thinking outside the box.

14. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Member

Light weight is the wave of the future. I have a Fender Blues Jr NOS (Jensen speaker) that gets hauled anywhere I want a good looking, good sounding amp: 31 lb. Even lighter is my Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight at 25-1/2 lb, with a 12" and 250 watts. It's even less obtrusive than the BJ.

The limitation on size/weight isn't the amp (bass players have a number of choices of sub-10 lb heads with large amounts of power). The real problem is the speaker/cabinet. We're still using 1947 technology in our speakers. Some improvements have been made, such as neodymium magnets, which are much lighter for their strength than traditional metals, and in enclosure design to increase the efficiency and sound from smaller cabinets, but no one's invented the "AHA!" speaker that would make us all run out and buy one.

One problem is tone: we're all so used to the traditional cabinet sound that we might not respond favorably to a new, hi-tech, killer-app speaker that didn't duplicate the sound and response of the dinosaurs we're used to.

After a year or so of gigging with the BM and the JM, I recently took delivery of a Weber California Ceramic 15 in one of Weber's enclosures. Either of my little amps would fit inside the speaker box! I mated it with a Fender Band-Master VM (with, to my ear, a similar overall sound to that of the Blues Jr), and plugged in my 335. Wow. It was everything I was missing in the smaller amps. Now I'm faced with hauling this and the head around to gigs -- it sounds so much richer and fuller than the little guys, but the cab's about 50 lb and the head's another 30+.

Maybe it'll never end.:rolleyes:

15. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

big iron is good sound...but no iron? should be interesting.

16. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

To me, tone trumps weight, innovation and most other things. Not saying everyone else needs to feel this way...but I do and I'm not hearing any tone that knocks me out here.

17. funkycam

funkycam Member

sound samples do not sound like tone i would pay 2k for.
    I like tone. I will deal with weight....that's why I own a Twin(!)

18. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

19. Cpt. Picard

Cpt. Picard Member

Looks awesome, doubt highly it can deliver.
    I won't judge based on clips, but still very doubtful...

I think I'd rather have a computer emulating GOOD sound, than the real deal actually creating BAD sound!