The future of Variax?

Mincer

Oh also, remarkably, the Acoustic Variax 700 is still my favorite for acoustic sounds (besides micing a real acoustic). I treat mine with kid gloves.
Acoustic Variax 700 with a GK3 on it driving a Helix and an Sy1000 (3 separate modeling pathways) is kind of bananas, but lots of fun.
I agree with this. My Acoustic Variax is better than the GP-10 & electric Variaxes in getting a great acoustic sound. It sounds better than most (save the most expensive) actual acoustic guitars into a PA. But I am terrified that something will happen to the electronics and I won't be able to fix it.

germanicus

I agree with this. My Acoustic Variax is better than the GP-10 & electric Variaxes in getting a great acoustic sound. It sounds better than most (save the most expensive) actual acoustic guitars into a PA. But I am terrified that something will happen to the electronics and I won't be able to fix it.
Sure be careful with it, but its a tool. Meant to be used. Its also healthy to run power through it now and then. Electronics that sit for years without power can develop issues (i dont understand the science behind this, but trust those who have said it).

scott58

I have the same concern about repairs. Several years ago I bought a bunch of parts and the wiring harness. Just been sitting in the closet just in case. If you can find parts get them before you need them.

Mincer

Well, I do use it, just not for gigs lately. It developed some crazy static in the audio output when using the XPS, but not with batteries. Tried a new adapter and stereo cable, too luck. Cleaned all the contacts in the XPS with Deoxit and that worked. Don’t want anything I can’t solve happening to the guitar’s electronics.

Billy Moss

I have a Line 6 Variax Shuriken Variax and I can't imagine they would discontinue the guitar. I play it almost exclusively every day and record with it all the time because of the diversity.

Please Line 6 do NOT discontinue the Variax guitars.

3dognate

Silver Supporting Member
Oh also, remarkably, the Acoustic Variax 700 is still my favorite for acoustic sounds (besides micing a real acoustic). I treat mine with kid gloves.
Acoustic Variax 700 with a GK3 on it driving a Helix and an Sy1000 (3 separate modeling pathways) is kind of bananas, but lots of fun.
I would buy a new gen Acoustic Variax in a minute. I had a AV700 for a while and got rid of it in a fit of GAS... I didn't really appreciate it until it was gone. I'll not replace it with another because of age and fear of electronic failure.

rer122504

I have a jtv-89 and I use ir's on the acoustic models and get freaking amazing results
I've used 3 sigma, a lot of the free ones floating around, there's a great or data base on the acoustic guitar forum but right now I'm using some slugworth extracted from a fishman aura that are great

Trending Topics