The G&L ASAT Special - Take me to school

starting to think about my next guitar investment. anybody willing to give their general thoughts on this guitar can chime in!

right now I have a '00 les paul studio and a '07 mayer strat. I obviously need to cover my tele ground, and i've been interested in g&l for a while now.

the higher output single coils intruige me, i don't play as much hard music as I used to, but I like the idea of being able to add a bit of edge to things when I need it. Any comments on those types of pups?

also, how is g&l on ordering to the exact specs that you want? I'm wanting a maple neck/3 tone sunburst option that I basically haven't seen anywhere on the asat special.

one last Q, can a bigsby be mounted on to the asat special pretty easily?

thanks

Blues Power

i wouldnt consider a G&L an investment, but they are real fine geetars.
Ive had my mia blues boy since 07

the good thing about G&L is they give you chioces as far as gun tint, necks, binding, colors, cases, tuners, finger boards so you can really customize something nice.

FWIW i havent played a bad G&L yet, I liked every one I touched.

Jet Age Eric

They're high output, but they're GORGEOUS clean machines. The Spec's MFDs are unbeatable, in my book: Tele chime with a bigger, Jazzmaster-y body. The ones with the dual trems have a little extra shimmer; I love 'em. As Blues Power noted, you can custom order, and I think Bigsby's are an option. -E

shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
My ASAT Special is probably my best overall guitar. MFD's are fantastic pickups. Great clean tones and the dirty tones are equally impressive. A Bigsby would be cool but I think a huge part of the draw on the Special is the saddle-lock bridge. Sustains like crazy!

Dave Wakely

Agree with shredtrash about the bridge and the sustain.

The neck pickup especially is wonderous: a beautiful warm chiming tone clean, and it takes to dirt fantastically - a really singing tone. (I rarely use bridge pick up solo'd on any guitar, and find it slightly thin in comparison, but the middle position is sort of warmed up without being fattened up Tele.)

RussB

low rent hobbyist
If you order a custom G&L, it will be an investment alright, but a bad one. Resale is horrible even though they are fine instruments.

gixxerrock

although if you keep it a long time, play it constantly and never sell it, they are great investments. ;)

semihollow

The Bigsby is a cool option with G&L. If you haven't seen it, they mount the Bigsby slightly inset into the body and use a tune-o-matic type bridge. I had a ASAT Special semihollow. I wish I still had it.

RussB

low rent hobbyist
True Story.

I recently put my '96 ASAT Special up for sale in the emporium. Heck, I need the cash. When someone wanted to buy it, I bowed out and took it off the market. I can't part with it!

brianr0131

True Story.

I recently put my '96 ASAT Special up for sale in the emporium. Heck, I need the cash. When someone wanted to buy it, I bowed out and took it off the market. I can't part with it!

That's just because you built a deck to take that picture. :)

telelion

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a Leo era silver(1989 I think) rosewood board Special that I have had for almost 20 years.

It's a great variation of a Tele. I still need Teles as it does not have the characteristic dry, raw sound of the classic Tele. The Special is juicier, meatier, and a less brash take on the classic Tele sound. But it still retains the twang in spades with more sustain. And the OP said he wanted the guitar to have an edge to it. No problem there. I think it is more tame however, but ballsier in many ways than the Tele if that makes any sense.

I think that the only thing that really makes it unique is the pickups and the bridge though.

radiohead625

Silver Supporting Member
If you order a custom G&L, it will be an investment alright, but a bad one. Resale is horrible even though they are fine instruments.
Im banking on this! I've had my eye out for one for awhile. I'm Trying to sell my US reverend rocco for one.

nrandall85

The MFD pickups are absolutely PHENOMENAL. They're like single coils, but just.....MORE. I have three G&L's, and as others have stated, you truly can't go wrong aside from their poor resale value. There are certainly some bargains to be had if you go shopping for something used.

Basically every US G&L is a custom order, either from the dealer, or a customer ordering through a dealer- so the prices you see on models being offered at some of the better known retailers will be right in line with those for a special order. I think there's a custom options sheet to look over on the Buffalo Brothers website, and they can also give you a quote.

Saddle-lock fixed bridge is one of the best designs I've encountered as was. Stable as a rock, heavy, and comfortable. The non-special ASAT's have the more traditional 6-saddle bridge. It's alright, but G&L certainly got it right with the saddle-lock and dual fulcrum designs.

You must do it.

vourot

I concur about the pick ups. Although I went a slightly different route...I have had this guitar for almost a month now, it is by far my favorite electric I have owned. The bridge pick up in SC-2's are wound slightly hotter than ASAT specials. I really can't describe how smitten I am with this guitar. Its my second G&L.

Jet Age Eric

I don't know how they'd accomplish this with the Bigsby, but the dual-fulcrum trem has an insanely heavy arm which I think is designed to make up for the mass of the standard bridge. I started with the standard bridge and I'd say I've lost at most 2% of the sustain/rawk with the trem, but that airy resonance totally offsets any loss. The standard bridge is a fantastic design; I'm just saying don't be afraid you'll lose that oomph if you want a (dual fulcrum) trem.

I don't think I've ever read a thread about a piece of gear that had so many accurate and likeminded descriptions. I guess that means the ASAT Specs are empirically great, right? :) -E

My ASAT Special is probably my best overall guitar. MFD's are fantastic pickups. Great clean tones and the dirty tones are equally impressive. A Bigsby would be cool but I think a huge part of the draw on the Special is the saddle-lock bridge. Sustains like crazy!

autonomous

Why on earth do people say such crap like that? If you like it and keep it, then it's a great investment. If you want real investments, get a 401K. Instruments are NOT real investments.

Jef Bardsley

I don't think I've ever read a thread about a piece of gear that had so many accurate and likeminded descriptions. I guess that means the ASAT Specs are empirically great, right? :) -E
Well, the guys that came up with those specs had a bit of experience building Telecasters. ;)

Trending Topics